Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017
Ads by ForumAds
Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: A FEW TIPS FOR GERMINATING SEED.  (Read 9060 times)

Offline Jon

• Platinum Member
Re: A FEW TIPS FOR GERMINATING SEED.
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2013, 15:34:24 »
In a month or two? Only if you are not as impatient as I am. I have only kept my "for sale" pods on the plants. My personal stock of about 5 or 10 seeds of about 20 crosses, are already all harvested and half have already germinated. I find that I am happy to take extra fungus risk on slightly immature seeds and steal a march on winter, aiming to flower a season earlier, if I can. Of the 20 odd crosses, only one was a little green still and I may lose around 10% for my impatience (in fairness I harvested that one in February!)

CliviaMall

Online Chris Smit (Berge)

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
Re: A FEW TIPS FOR GERMINATING SEED.
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2013, 16:09:07 »
I have only germinated seeds for about three seasons. This method works the best for me:-

1.   Soak the seeds in clean water for three days.
2.   Remove the skin over the area where the root pushes through. This I do by twisting a sharpened cartage and then use a small pocket knife.
3.   Put the seeds in a water/dishwasher solution for about half an hour.
4.   I filled a two liter ice cream container about one third with perlite.
5.    I first soak the perlite in hot boiling water.
6.   When the perlite has cooled down, I put the seeds on the surface and push it slightly down.
7.   I now cover the holder with the lid and leave it for about 30 days in warm area.
8.   After 30 to 40days I plant the germinated seedlings in seedling medium where I leave it for just over a year.
Here is a photo of the tools I use and two photos of yellows and bronzes I planted 25 February.

I have tried various other methods with far less success.

Chris

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tools

Yellows

Bronzes

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za