Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Keeled (?) Variegate  (Read 13477 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
Re: Keeled (?) Variegate
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2009, 09:21:57 »
 :jaw: :jaw: :love: :love: :love: :love: :jaw: :jaw:
Be the change you wish to see in the world.

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2009, 09:26:17 »
Hahaha!  You drive me up the wall Alex!
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • www.utopiaclivias.co.za
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2009, 21:25:27 »
One of the most awesome variegated plant I have ever seen Maria and I have seen a few! Well done on growing it to perfection! :clap:

Carrie

ps. Is it possible to buy some amaryllis seeds from you? I am a keen collector of rare bulbs and lilies and I love all your new colours! :love1:
Carrie Kruger             Don`t dream your life, live your dreams!
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183
cel: 27 833431288 
 www.utopiaclivias.co.za       Clivias, orchids, daylilies and Incas

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2009, 02:24:47 »
Hi Carrie! 

Thank you but I must bow down and not get all the credit to this beautiful clivia.  A beautiful plant, first of all among other factors, is due to it's good genes.  I have other Fukurins.  TOO MUCH at one time that I had to "cull" my collection. Believe me, they DO NOT perform as good as this one.  Some of them are prone to rot (roots or leaves).  Some of them are very variable with their variegation reverting to pure white or "striped" variegation. Some of them would decide to grow their leaves here and there no matter how much you rotate them. Some of them would maintain the Fukurin variegation in one side of their leaves and not on the other side.  But then, this is understandable as they are all grown from seeds. Even offsets do not guarantee us of 100% likeness with the mother plant.  Maybe in the future, we can have tissue cultured variegated clivias.  Won't that be awesome???

Here's a pic of some of them so you can see how much they vary with their growing habits..

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Yes it is possible to acquire some of my amaryllis seeds.  Last 2008, 500 amaryllis seeds of my seed crosses "successfully" reached South Africa.  Hopefully in 1-2 years, they would be blooming in your paradise.   

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2009, 04:19:01 »
That is very impressive Maria. To have that many unblemished variegated leaves is indeed an achievement.
Do you live in a cool area?

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2009, 06:28:57 »
Thank you Clemens!

I have been growing and breeding hippeastrum for years.  Culture of hippies and clivias really do not really vary too much except for the clivias being "scared" of the sun.  Hippies love em!  They both get the same fertilizers and spraying program. I do had to incorporate some Orchid Mix with the potting mix of Hippies for the clivias.  Variegated clivias with more green can tolerate rain.  Ones with lots of white do not like them and I keep them on the drier side.

Cool???  Hehehehe...it's 33F here right now.  Going down to 30F by 7:00 AM.  All the clivias and hippies are sheltered now.  The highest temps. we get here during summer (a very short one this year) were in the high 80sF.  I guess that is "cool" as you say compared to other states here in US having 90-100 plusF temps.  I live by the foothills of the mountains which I think contributes to the right humidity they like.

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2009, 20:26:37 »
Hahaha...I feel quite embarassed going back to this thread under "keeled".  But I'd rather do my updates on this plant here instead of starting a new one.

Soooooooooo...here's what's up with this "Not-keeled" Fukurin!

It's harvest time!!!

As you can see, I "attempted" to record the pollens used.  I used those white paper tags that I always use with my Hippeastrum pollinations.  Little did I know, that due to the long "waiting game" for the berries to ripen, the pen marks were erased!! The only tag that I could read is "San Marcos Yellow I".  So the rest could be Solomone Yellow, Solomone Peach, Mandarin Duck, Peach/Light Pink or Lemon Chiffon.  Ughhhhhh!!!  Now I will know better to use plastic tags...definitely!!!

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2009, 07:35:48 »
Just wanted to post an update on this.  This is the San Marcos Yellow that I used pollens of in pollinating some of the flowers of this Fukurin. It is a robust plant with upright and strong leaves.  It's that berry in the center beside the one that is turning reddish/pink.  It's got nice green stripes too!

Here's another shot of this Fukurin's flowers.

QUESTION:  What would the possible results be?

• Titanium Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2009, 15:55:57 »
Hi Maria,
Very well done and what fun!  I hope to do some pollinating next year!
Did you grow that lovely Fukurin from seed or did you purchase it as a plant?  Do you think the source has something to do with it's health or is just "luck of the draw"?  I just received one and it looks great. I hoping it's a strong and healthy one.
Gail
SE Michigan, USA

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2009, 18:02:55 »
     Wow!!  I don't comment on clivia flowers, having basically zero experience, but that is a gorgeous plant!  I echo Gail's question: did you grow this plant?   If not, may I ask where you got it?  
     Mike
Salt Lake City, Utah  USA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2009, 18:25:09 »
Looking good Maria! The flower shapes of those two plants are actually very similar, so you might expect something along those lines.

Orange is dominant over yellow, and because yellows are still scarse in China, your seedlings should all be shades of orange. But if you cross these siblings in future (with each other, or with the same pollen yellow) you will get a % yellow plants. So a yellow fukurin is possible in the next generation.

Well done, and tell us how many seeds you harvest. Some of those berries look like they may have 3-5 seeds in them.

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2009, 19:02:28 »
Gale...Grow from seed?  Are ya kidding me?  My seedlings barely survive these cold winter months and the gnats attack!!!

Now to answer both yours and Mike's question:  This Fukurin came from China.  The ones from Japan are much more expensive and importation costs are terrible. It is one of the "chosen ones" from HUNDREDS of clivias that I have bought from both Chinese Ebay sellers (you guys know who they are).  It is one of the Fukurins that I have decided to keep as NOT ALL Fukurins are like this.  A lot of them have very unstable variegation, reverting to just "good quality variegated clivia"; turning albino and become very weak; sickly and getting leaf rot easily; or just decide to die on you no matter how much you try to save them.

If you can see, this Fukurin is a "twin".  NOT because it is really a twin but because the former original plant was either cut (maybe to propagate it so that the offset would look like the mother) or it could have died and produced this 2.  I'm pretty sure that they could not or have a very slim chance to be propagated through seeds that would look exactly like the seed parent.  If they could, then you would see them all over on Ebay like freshly harvested vegetables being sold in the wet market.

Clemens...Gotcha!!!  Thanks for those tips and infos.  I'll try to remember that and hope I'm still around to do it.  LOL!  I just might need a contract grower for these variegated seeds.  Hahaha!

Lesson learned and some tips:  Now these are based on my observation of the Fukurins and so called Fukurins that I acquired and have grown here in my growing conditions. Others might have different experiences. Don't just buy a clivia that is being sold as "Fukurin".  If you want a good Fukurin, it should have the Fukurin variegation right from it's oldest/lowest leaves all the way to the newest leaves on both left and right side. This would be the more stable ones.  DO NOT get those that just have 2-3 Fukurin variegated leaves as these are the unstable ones.  Believe me, learn from my mistakes and save yourself a lot of $$$.  The true Fukurins are expensive and the sellers know that.  So if you see a cheaper one and decide to purchase it, be ready for some surprises in the future and hope for the best.

Growing tips:  They kinda require lesser watering...more on the dry side and very airy growing conditions.  Avoid if you can on getting their leaves "wet-wet" but they enjoy occasional light misting on their leaves.  Give them a very light fertilizer application like 1/2 dosage of what you would give the green leafed ones.

Announcement:  I decided to give away some seeds from those pictured berries to charity in "100 Seeds For a Heifer".  Wohooooo!!!  It sure feels great!

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
    • Wu Jin's clivia page
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2009, 09:10:15 »
Maria, I predict that 90% or even 100% seedlings will be albino seedlings from seeds of this plant. Please show the pictures of seedlings from this batch of seeds when they germinate. I want to accumulate more information of the breeding habit of such Fukurin plants.

• Titanium Member
    • American Clivia Society
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2009, 18:35:49 »
Wow, Maria!

I'm glad I checked the "Keeled" section out, otherwise I would have missed your fantastic collection of variegates.
Beautiful.
Jim Black
Owasso, Oklahoma, USA

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2010, 08:43:59 »
Almost been a year since I started this "Duhhhh" Thread.  LOL!

Anyway, as per requests, here are the resultting seedlings of the individual seedpods of this Fukurin.
Please remember that the tags of the pollen donors were washed out.

Seedpod #1

Results: Albinos some with very very slight tinge of green.

Seedpod #2

Results:Albinos, some with very very slight tinge of green. Did not like exposure to direct sunlight...burnt.
So these seedlings were grown under lights. Some are starting to grow a second leaf now.

Seedpod #3

Results:Same as above seedlings.  One got lucky with more green.

Seedpod #4

Results: Albinos, one with very very little green.

Seedpod # 5

Results: 3 albinos, 2 with good variegation

Seedpod #6

This seedpod had 2 seeds.
Seed A is from this side of the seedpod with green

Result

Seed B is from this side of the seedpod with no green

Result

These seedlings are still alive and as I have said, some are starting to grow their second leaf.
No special treatment.  Grown and fed like my other seedlings in the same tray under lights.
How long they will make it, I don't know.
I'll just keep them and see.

Something to think about:

From Variegated DarumaI

One of these seedpods had a readable tag...."X Fukurin"

Result: Variegated Daruma X Fukurin

Hope we all learned something new today!

You all have a great weekend!

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias