Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Keeled (?) Variegate  (Read 14193 times)

Offline Maria

• Titanium Member
Keeled (?) Variegate
« on: October 16, 2009, 18:09:30 »
Hello to all!

I am so new to clivias and trying to learn as much as I can about it.  This variegated clivia of mine bloomed last March and I am wondering if it's petals are what you would call keeled?  Thanks!!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

CliviaMall

Offline Gerhard Faber

• Titanium Member
  • Life is great!
Re: Keeled (?) Variegate
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 18:19:17 »
Maria, never mind the keeling, your Fukurin is absolutely gorgeous.
I do not see any Keeled tepals on your flowers.

Kind regards
Gerhard
Clivia Couture...Designing The Future
Registered Flora Grower: No AAA005-00309-0042
Licenced Seller of Protected Flora: No 0051-AAA005-01083    
54 Arbour Rd    +27 44 8741325
George, 6529   +27 834120011
South Africa     gfaber@mweb.co.za

Offline Maria

• Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 19:05:25 »
Oh my goodness!  I am so getting confused.  I thought the "keel" thing is about the petal's shape.  I am so sorry for my ignorance.  We never ahd this term with the hippeastrums. After looking at the other keeled flowers pictures, I now kinda understand (I hope).  So this keeled effect is like that "pinched" or "extra growth" in the center of the petals???

Thank you Gerhard!  Yes it is a beautiful Fukurin even without a flower with constant/stable Fukurin variegation.  I went crazy (hahaha) when it flowered...really!  It was so beautiful and further encouraged me to grow these variegated clivias. 

Thanks again!

Maria

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online Michael

• Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 19:05:34 »
Very well grown too.

Offline Dave Malan

• Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 19:12:54 »
Maria.

Splendid fukurin, lovely variegations.  :welldone: :clap:
My garden is my Oasis

Offline Geoforce (George Forsythe)

• Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 19:38:50 »
Lovely Maria.  The 'keeled' means a raised growth on the midrib of the tepals.  This appears generally on the 3 petals (inside 3 of the tepals) only and not on the 3 sepals (outside 3 tepals).
George Forsythe

Learn something new each day.  If you're not learning you're not living.

Offline Maria

• Titanium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 21:41:43 »
Thank you all!  And thank you for educating me George!

As I have mentioned, this Fukurin has been my inspiration...

Offline Maria

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 04:14:39 »
Hahaha!  Now I feel so ashamed going back to this thread under "Keeled".  It should have been posted in the "Variegateds". Again, please forgive my ignorance.  As I started this here, I'll continue it here instead of starting a new thread.

These are the leaves of this Fukurin with beautiful protruding veins right from the oldest leaf up to the newest one.

Offline Maria

• Titanium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 04:28:21 »
And being hardheaded/persistent/inquiring as I am, I pollinated the flowers even after reading and been told that the resulting seedlings would either be albinos are green leafed.   I guess, it's just me beleiving tha "Rules CAN be broken" and that "Nature works in strange and wonderful ways".  The pollens used were from friends who did encouraged me to try.  As you can see, only 6 pollinations were successful.  I will post pictures of the resulting seedlings in a couple of months.  This time under "Variegateds".  Happy gardening to all!

Offline Clemens

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 05:01:24 »
That is indeed a lovely variegated plant, and very well grown.

Maria, as variegation is maternally inherited (meaning from your mother or pod/berry plant), you have a good chance to get variegated seedlings as well. The chance of albinos are always there if you breed with variegated plants, but don't let that hold you back.
Remember that all variegated plants had to have had a variegated mother plant.

Many of the Chinese breeders use broadleaf green plants as pollen parents, to try and limit the number of albinos. (As genetics go, this doesn't make sense then, but hey, where does all the best variegateds come from...?) 

I haven't welcomed you to the forum yet, so, welcome!

Regards, Clemens.

Offline Chris Viljoen

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 06:34:58 »
Very, very beautiful plant and flower Maria,thank you very much for sharing your beautiful plants with us.
Pretoria ,South Africa

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Offline Roger Fisher

• Titanium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 06:40:59 »
Maria
When you strip the berries please note from which part of the berry the seed are taken - ie green or without chlorophyl and tell us how they germinate.
And then, to have grown that particular form of variegation so perfectly and without blemish to blooming like that above the umbel is a remarkable achievement- and such a beatiful flower to boot -
Congratulations!
Regards
Roger

Offline Maria

• Titanium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 06:57:23 »
Oh my...thank you for the welcome and thank you again for the compliments.  It has always been my pleasure to share what I have to fellow gardeners.  That's what gardening is for...right?

It is not hard to grow a beautiful plant if it is a strong one. I have other Fukurins but a lot of them are sickly or easily get leaf rot.  This is one of the qualities of this particular Fukurin that I would like to be passed on if ever.  As I always say with my hybridizing with the hippeastrums..."What good is a beautiful flower if the plant is weak/sickly that would only live for a few years."

Roger...I will take note of those.  6 berries won't have that much seeds anyway so documentation won't be too hard.  Sighhhhhhh...If only they would ripen faster.  Clivias definitely test my patience.  Hippeastrums only take 6-8 weeks from pollination for seeds to be harvested.  Clivias take forever it seems.

Offline Geoforce (George Forsythe)

• Titanium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 15:12:52 »
Actually Maria, from the size of those lovely looking berries, you might be surprised at the number of seeds you will obtain. 
George Forsythe

Learn something new each day.  If you're not learning you're not living.

Offline Maria

• Titanium Member
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 09:13:44 »
Gezzzzz...and to make things worst, we are forcasted to have frost today and on Monday!!!   So I have been bringing inside the house/garage, all these "clay" potted plants (hippeastrums and clivias).  Ughhhhh...my whole body is aching!!!

QUESTION:  With this colder temps and not so bright light (indoors) further prolong the ripening of these berries?  Do clivias "abort" their seeds like the hippeastrums do when temperature and humidity level changes?  I do have 2 other variegated clivias that are "pregnant" with berries.  I'd hate to see these berries fail if ever.

George...I did harvest some berries a few weeks ago from one of my variegated clivias.  My very first harvest!!! They looked like colored marbles having a mix of red yellow and green colors.  They were so pretty!  And some berries do have several seeds in them.  I felt like a proud "mommy"!  I hope to harvest enough to go through this project that Roger suggested.

Now these are what I have been harvesting for several years now...Hippeastrum seepods.  They might look boring compared to clivia berries BUT they hold wonderful surprises too!  Just not varieagated ones.  That's one of my frustrations.  One reason why I got into variegated clivias.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart