Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Interspecifics  (Read 17674 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Gold Member
Re: Interspecifics
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 17:48:46 »
And Ken,
may I add.
When do we as judges verify if it is a Interspecific or not ?
Cell: 083 628 7292

CliviaMall

• Gold Member
  • Sugar Baby
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 18:13:54 »
Hi Chris.
Valid question. I have a plant which I have named 'Green Apricots' which was bred by a Mrs. Le Roux.  She is unable to say what the parentage of the plant was.  There has been much debate as to whether this plant is a straight miniata or whether it is an Insp; which illustrates your point exactly. 
"Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend".

Waterfall : KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

• Gold Member
  • Sugar Baby
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 18:17:00 »
"Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend".

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 20:13:23 »
My Tuppence worth.

The most valuable asset of the interspecifics is that they flower at a different time to the miniatas.
About 2  ,  3  months earlier here in K.Z.N. and after our Gardenii show.Our gardenii show is held in  May.
So if you breed too much miniata into them, you will not have them flowering when the inters. are in flower and being judged.
Maybe I haven`t seen enough borderline inters., but I have never for a second been confused by the difference between the two.
But then again, I have no  Judging training.

Best regards,
                   Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 06:35:26 »
Hi Ken , we here at the CCC have had similar " little " discussions and I was hoping to see some answers !

I think that the big problem is, keeping good records of the crosses to be able to class them . Colour and " looks " seems to be a big issue .We are planning a small inter. show and will have to see what comes from that ?
Regards.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 07:00:39 »
Perhaps if we scrap the idea of judging species and just have categories for flower, colour and form, then as long as a plant is in bloom at the time of a show it can be entered and judged. And this comes from a novice and reluctant shower and one who knows precious little about judging standards!

• Titanium Member
  • Smile-eeey
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 08:20:25 »
Hi Michael
You put this up on number 5
"5. TOPE - semi open, erect". It looks the same as no 4.
Should it not read:
5. TOPE - semi open, semi erect

Johan & Paula
Tel Home:011 972-3068
     Cell 072 203-2391

• Gold Member
  • Sugar Baby
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 08:36:42 »
I believe that the Orchid Society invites Breeders/Growers to submit plants to a panel of adjudicators for assessment.  There are various criteria that are looked at when these plants are assessed.  If the plant merits recognition, it then receives a certificate or some official recognition that is carried by that plant and all it's clones and any grower of that plant/clone may note the award in his/her breeding record.  I personally lean toward that means of clivia recognition, as plants of whatever species/hybrid may then be submitted for assessment whenever they come into flower.  Many growers lose out in shows because their plants have either finished flowering or the flowers have not opened at the time of the show.  When clivia shows are held, plants may display the awards that have been given, irrespective of whether they are judged to be 'best' of class etc.  Maybe some orchid society members would like to comment further, as I have little knowledge of their awarding process?

• Titanium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 08:47:10 »
Ken
I recall this being an agenda item at a CS AGM some years back - It was tabled as Standards Judging - I think Henriette Stroh [there are umlauts missing but I don't know how to do them here] and Roger Dixon were looking at it. Henriette has experience in the orchid world. It would be interesting to know what happened to this endeavour.
Perhaps someone should get the item back onto the agenda - KZNCC?
Regards
Roger

• Gold Member
  • Sugar Baby
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 16:57:55 »
 :poke:   :zzz: Re-Bump.  

I wonder if I can bump this topic into Brian Tarr's court for comment....? ???

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 21:06:10 »
I find this a very difficult question.  I have,  in the past,  had interspecifics disqualified because they were too miniata -like,  although they were very curly and quite unlike a regular miniata.
In the past year or two an inerspecific of mine,  won a silver,  and it was a perfect small pink miniata like flower and umbel.
I really dont know how one would differentiate between what is an interspec and what isnt.

Maybe it would be a good idea to qualify them by:  tubular,  semi tubular,  flared etc.  Also the leaves are something to consider.  As I said earlier,  one of my interspecs.  has ridiculously long leaves,  others have broad leaves,  others have miniata like leaves.  How do you judge them.?
Cant go on flowers alone,  because balance etc should play a large plant in the judging.
If I was to judge my own plant,  Peerless Pink,  I would basically disqualify it becuase of those Oh so long leaves.  But oh,  the flowers were so pretty and such a lovely colour.

How can you qualify a plant that is bone fide interspec whether F1 or F4 as NOT an interspec.???  If it is an interspec.  it is an interspec.!!  Do you then refer to it as mixed blood.?  What then.?  It still remains an interspec.

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2011, 22:42:07 »
The Pic of the interspec taken by Ken Rossling with Etzel and Francois , is of our Light of Dawn No 1 at first flower.

See page 1 of this post !!!

Brenda and Etzel sold the mother plant to Debbie and I .

This gives a good indication of the plant and flower size.

Take note ,those who bought seed from us this year ,it is a BEAUT.

Regards,
           Lionel.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart