Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017
Ads by ForumAds
Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Superthrive  (Read 7303 times)

Offline Dries

• Departed Friends
  • Titanium Member
  • 1951-2009
    • Driesesgarden
Superthrive
« on: May 13, 2007, 03:44:49 »
I know that Superthrive has its supporters and sceptics. I brought a small bottle with me from the USA.
What are the opinions of those who tried it? ???
Dries Olivier
Tel. +27-(0)83-264-6230
http://www.driesesgarden.co.za

CliviaMall

Offline Gideon Scheepers

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Family, Parrots, Clivias, Orchids and Motorcycles
    • My websites
Re: Superthrive
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 06:58:53 »
SuperThrive, is a controversial subject, speak to people about it and they will tell you it is a lot of rubbish, but then one day they open there box of Clivia Dope and there is a bottle right infront.

I have been using ST for about 2 years now, and I use such a little, literally 3 drops per 5 liter fertiliser mix. I mainly use it for my Orchids, and the left overs is then fed to the Clivia. (I once overdosed a Clivia and was rewarded with 11 offsets, it must have been the shock) I cannot in all honesty say that it has made a tremendous difference in my large plants, but definitely in the seedlings, I will see if I can take a pic of some seedlings fed with and without ST, I just planted them in the same crate 2 days ago.

My main use in Clivias is for plants which have rotten off the roots, I have found that it does help to regenerate the roots.

I have a friend who uses ST on his Cycads and he regularly get extra flushes of leaves per year, resulting in a much faster growth rate, but he uses a high dosage.

In Orchids if you use a high dosage you end up with deformed flowers so be careful
Gideon Scheepers
www.cliviaforum.co.za
083 233 5144

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

Offline Johan Steyn

• Titanium Member
  • Smile-eeey
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 07:15:51 »
Do you get this  Superthrive here in SA
Johan & Paula
Tel Home:011 972-3068
     Cell 072 203-2391

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Offline Eugene

• Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 08:07:53 »
Gideon thanks --- could you let us have more on ST .

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

Offline Gideon Scheepers

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • My websites
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 17:28:52 »
Do you get this  Superthrive here in SA

Johan, take a look at this tread, David has sent me another 15 bottles
http://www.cliviaforum.za.net/index.php?topic=241.msg1532#msg1532  for people on the za.net server

http://www.cliviaforum.co.za/index.php?topic=241.msg1532#msg1532  for everyone else
Gideon Scheepers
www.cliviaforum.co.za
083 233 5144

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Offline Gideon Scheepers

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • My websites
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 01:25:07 »
Here is the pic, these seedlings were just moved to these crates, so they still look a bit bedraggeled, anyway the ones on the left was fed Fertilisers and SuperThrive the ones on the right only fertiliser
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Gideon Scheepers
www.cliviaforum.co.za
083 233 5144

Offline Dries

• Departed Friends
  • Titanium Member
  • 1951-2009
    • Driesesgarden
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 07:07:51 »
Thanks Gideon.
Dries Olivier
Tel. +27-(0)83-264-6230
http://www.driesesgarden.co.za

Offline Christine

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 22:08:52 »
That's a great difference,
do you use ST for mature plants too?
Liebe Gruesse
Christine

Offline Gideon Scheepers

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • My websites
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 22:10:52 »
That's a great difference,
do you use ST for mature plants too?
I do, but have not seen any great differences yet, maybe it takes time
Gideon Scheepers
www.cliviaforum.co.za
083 233 5144

Offline Geoffrey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2007, 17:26:06 »
I began using Superthrive in 1979, and have continued to use it off and on since then, depending on budgetary considerations. (in some 'tight' years I'd not buy any since much of my life I've had an extensive plant collection.) 
I use as much as 1/8-1/4 tsp/gallon whenever I use it. When I began using it the label said 1 drop per gallon for use every time one watered, or 1/4 tsp used less often.  We'd buy gallons of it for the nursery, mix it strong in a 5 gal bucket, and use a hose siphon to feed everything that was watered that day.  Most stock seemed to be sturdier with better quality growth. That was 25-28 years ago.  Now I mostly use it on seeds, seedlings, bareroot plants, and transplanting.

As for Clivia seed. I soak mine in Superthrive solution at least 12-24 hours before planting them;  I use Superthrive to moisten the planting media before setting seed into it, and add it to the water when I water seedlings, from the beginning. No matter what people believe about the seed containing "everything' needed, Superthrive is helpful from the start. Since it is NOT fertilizer, per se, it can be safely used as directed with no risk of burning delicate roots and seedlings...and is recommended by many professionals as the premier pre-planting soak for seeds and bare-root transplants.  the manufacturers will give $5000 US to anyone who can scientifically prove their product does a better job across the board in the areas Superthrive claims to be the top product in the world.  According to their literature, no one has ever been able to do that, and the offer has been out there since about 1940.  It took a gold medal in Science in the 1939 World's Fair and has been the top product in the USA for transplanting, reviving, etc. ever since.
Wonderful stuff; although a bit costly even here in the USA.

hope this is helpful,
geoffrey

Offline Etienne

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2007, 20:26:38 »
Eugene,how about we split a 50 ml since you need so little of it.

CliviaMall

Offline Jeanette

• Bronze Member
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2007, 12:38:10 »
Please advise us on where to obtain SuperThrive and secondly , is there a major
difference between SuperThrive and Kickstart. Can one use both products at the
same time or will that be counterproductive? I currently use Kickstart from before
germination (in the water I spray the seeds with), after germination (even before the
seed is absorbed) and up until the 12 leave (mature) stage with good results. However, if
adding SuperThrive can improve the seedling growth, I would definitely like to try it.

Regards
Jeanette

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

Offline Gideon Scheepers

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • My websites
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2007, 13:06:05 »
Jeanette, Superthrive is an additive,it is used in conjuction with a fertiliser for larger seedlings, I have not tried soaking the seeds in it and will ask more on that...

Here is a link to another thread on ST http://www.cliviaforum.za.net/index.php?topic=241.0

We can import ST at a much better price if a few people do it together.
Gideon Scheepers
www.cliviaforum.co.za
083 233 5144

Offline Jeanette

• Bronze Member
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 13:13:53 »
Gideon

Thank you. If you (or anyone else on the forumI is going to import some, please add my name to your list to share with.

Regards
Jeanette

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

Offline Gideon Scheepers

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
    • My websites
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 13:31:26 »
.......As for Clivia seed. I soak mine in Superthrive solution at least 12-24 hours before planting them;  I use Superthrive to moisten the planting media before setting seed into it, and add it to the water when I water seedlings, from the beginning. No matter what people believe about the seed containing "everything' needed, Superthrive is helpful from the start. Since it is NOT fertilizer, per se, it can be safely used as directed with no risk of burning delicate roots and seedlings...and is recommended by many professionals as the premier pre-planting soak for seeds and bare-root transplants.  the manufacturers will give $5000 US to anyone who can scientifically prove their product does a better job across the board in the areas Superthrive claims to be the top product in the world.  According to their literature, no one has ever been able to do that, and the offer has been out there since about 1940.  It took a gold medal in Science in the 1939 World's Fair and has been the top product in the USA for transplanting, reviving, etc. ever since.
Wonderful stuff; although a bit costly even here in the USA.

hope this is helpful,
geoffrey

Geoffrey, thank you for your input on this, I would like to know what strength soloution you soak the seed in?
Gideon Scheepers
www.cliviaforum.co.za
083 233 5144

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven