CliviaMall

Author Topic: Show & Award Judging  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Platinum Member
Show & Award Judging
« on: March 24, 2007, 12:33:55 »
Let me kick this topic off by asking just some simple questions.

1.   Do you feel that Clivia Shows and prizes & awards given contribute to the enjoyment of the Hobby?
2.   Do awarded Clivias or show winners command better respect than their less adulated counterparts?
3.   Do the same also contribute to the advancement in the breeding of Clivia and lead to new hybrids being released to the public due to demand for higher standards and new patterns for the show benches?
4.   Does anyone know of any awards being given to a clivia plant?

Thank you.
Chris
menuwhy0@yahoo.com.au
NSW, Australia

CliviaMall

• Platinum Member
Re: Show & Award Judging
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 13:19:37 »
I am surprise at the lack of response on this subject just as I was surprise at the "no post" before I kick it off. People love shows and showing off. Why?

Many people think that show positions are difficult to judge. Actually the opposite is the truth. How many time have you walk into a show and say, "I think the other one should have been placed" or even "I wouldn't place that plant as the show winner even in it's class"? That's judging and believe me most results are "compromises" rather than runaways. Why do I say that? That's because each of us have our own idea on what constitutes a desirable plant or flower. Will there be any "judging" if all of us think the same? However "Award Judging" is another kettle of fish altogether.

Just elaborating a little on my questions, my answer will have to be "yes" to the first 3 questions. Here are the reasons why: in gist

1. The call of the challenge, to have the best or the best grown and to have one's plant pitted against another on neutral ground build up excitement for the hobbyists and professional alike.

2. Why do you think people point to their seeds being from two show winners?

3. Just think about show winners and who breed them. Where do they come from? You can be sure the "not interested" do cast sideway glances in that direction.

4. On "Awards" I do not mean prizes awarded to show winners but rather a recognition of a "superior clone", a "new direction" or  even a recognition of "growing excellence".

Such is the draw of the challenge that they are that much more attractive if tag with a means of recognition by the peers.

Just a simple question to close the topic - What do you think are the desirable characteristics in your favourite plant and what more do you wish it has?
menuwhy0@yahoo.com.au
NSW, Australia

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 14:53:46 »
Hi Chris

I agree with you on most of the points that you have made.  As a regular person with no judging experience (with regards to clivias that is!) I often find that plants that have not won a prize are very attractive to me.  Last year for example at the Cape Clivia club's show while I admit that the three plants that won first second and third were spectacular, there was a plant at the back of the hall in the corner that won my heart.  Given the choice to grab one plant and run, it would have been that one.  I think that most people see their plants as not being up to the same standard as the plants on the show and therefore are in two minds about exhibiting them.  I for one feel this way.  However, I must say that I am sure that someone would feel the same way about my plant as I felt about the plant tucked away in the corner.  One of the advantages of having shown a plant is that the seeds will "sell" themselves if that plant wins a prize.  As with most organizations it is usually only a few people who are willing to get stuck in and get involved.  That's why it is the same people who exhibit plants on the show who sell their seeds and earn something back from this hobby that can often be a bit one sided when it comes to shelling out money (a black hole in my case  :P).

I think that it would be great if apart from judging a plant "Best on show" the attendees could vote on a plant that they believe is the best, in other words the viewers choice.  This would give us as growers a good idea of what the public are interested in too.  I know that they do this in New Zealand.  This would also mean that there would be no conspiracy theories about favouritism and judges "recognising" people's plants.  At the end, this hobby should be about the plants and not about people politics, we get too much of that in all other aspects of life.

Ok, enough babbling from me.
Leisl
Leisl Brand
Somerset West, South Africa
072 222 6624
leislbrand@gmail.com

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Departed Friends
  • Titanium Member
  • 1951-2009
    • Driesesgarden
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 15:22:18 »
    Chris and all,
    Firstly, there are keen interest in the Cape Clivia Club to introduce a system whereby plants can be evaluated by a panel in order to qualify as so called certified plants.
    As for show winners, my perceptions are:
    • I agree with Chris. Sometimes my judgement would have been different from the decision of the judges. In fact I won a best in Show one year and in my opinion another plant of mine that finished second in its class is in my view a better plant in all respects to the one that won BIS
    • In any show, only the plants with exactly ready on the day of the show are considered. There is no second chance. This means that all plants are not compared and it is almost a matter of luck that the plant is ready on the right day.

• Furthermore, some people stay far from a show venue and any plant travelling for 100's of kilometers can pick up damage or lose its freshnes.
    • Then of course there is the old 'beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder even though judging is done on a strict score sheet. In my humble opinion, the score card makes no provision for rarity, special virtues or any such issue which in my view should be critical
Dries Olivier
Tel. +27-(0)83-264-6230
http://www.driesesgarden.co.za

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 05:58:35 »
A quick recap will see us agreeing on a number of fronts. I wonder about that plant in the corner that Leisl mentioned. We have to remember that there could be many reasons why that plant turned up in the corner and was obviously not among those that were put on show. The reasons could be anything from being late (after judging) to damaged during transport. Believe me; many plants (flowers) look lovelier being placed in a slightly darkened and "lonely" corner.

One of the main prizes that we awarded at the shows (orchids, unfortunately) I was involved with was an "audience favourite" which everyone can just take pen and paper and write his/her favourite in and drop that into the box. I feel that this is recognition by the very people who keeps the hobby alive. I normally find that more often than not the prize is won by "something new" or different but at the same time "showy".

This is a bit controversial but I am willing to voice it to gauge the response. My view is that show judging can be carried by just about anyone with a sense of the ecstatic even people from other groups of flowering plants. Too many judges tried to get too technical with how a spike is carried on the stalk, the lineage, etc but the fact of show judging is actually to judge which plant is the most beautiful in term of display, colour, numbers of flowers, etc. In other words, the overall effect the display has on the senses.

Of course, sometimes you have flowers that are a little on the down side but that should not affect results too much if the overall display is not marred by the defects this exhibit is now having. We even discussed if we should approve an exhibit that we know is going to have faded flowers 2 days later in a one week show.

Dries mentioned “certified plants”. In the orchid circle this is known as an “Award plant”. An “Award” can be given to a clone (individual plant) or a group of seedlings in flower and also for culture. That is to say that it will be a real recognition of quality, breeding and culture.

In this case such things as rarity, new break through in colours, advancements in floral display, etc are all recognised on paper. Note that to be able to run this part of the judging process effectively we need to have people with a deeper knowledge of the genus, be very open and unbiased in their judgement and an open outlook in the direction the breed is heading for. Okay, human beings being human beings, I will not say unbiased but rather less bias?

It is quite obvious from this point to see the differences between Award judging and Show judging. It is in award judging that judges need to go through the plants with a good set of rules and criteria. This is the “bible” of Award judging. Every judge will have to score points based on the structure of this guide. How is “guide” is drawn up depends on the initial panel of judges.

Already my post is much too long for my liking. I hope it reflects the importance I place on proper Show and Award judging and not just aimless ramblings. If there are interests I may continue to give my views of Awards; otherwise “happy judging”.

Chris
menuwhy0@yahoo.com.au
NSW, Australia

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Gold Member
    • Vrijehof Clivias
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 19:16:37 »
Dries, Chris and Others

Could we continue again with this topic?

Chris
Chris de Vry

"Our attitude determines our altitude in life."

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven