Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Recovered from severe Fusarium  (Read 3562 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Regular Member.
  • Titanium Member
Recovered from severe Fusarium
« on: February 11, 2008, 12:25:23 »
On the 24 November 2006 I noticed a clivia plant that fell over towards the side of the pot amongst other clivias under large trees. A clivia plant that does not grow vertical anywhere in my yard or in the shade house is very easily noticed because I never tolerate a clivia plant to lean over towards a side because I simply do not like them growing horizontally and it looks untidy. I push them upright and support the plant at the base.

The plant and pot was removed from the others and was completely loose in the growing medium. I suspected Fusarium root rot but once the plant was removed from the pot the result was far worse than just root rot. There were 6 affected roots left and the bottom of the Pseudo stem was badly rotten away. I washed the soil off the plant in a corner of the yard on a sandy patch where no other growth of any kind is. I removed all the mushy roots and washed the plant in a SporeKill solution by brushing the stem with a old tooth brush. I then applied neat Bravo to the affected parts. The plant had 2 suckers with 4 and 6 leaves each. Their few roots were also starting to be affected by the Fusarium rot. There were so few roots that I decided to pot this plant into a 20cm pot which was much to big to accommodate the few roots of this mother plant with two suckers. The potting medium was fairly dry. I then watered the plant with Root Plus by BCP which consists of spores of carefully selected strains of the natural soil-borne fungi Trichoderma harzianum and Paecilomyces lilacinus and once a month thereafter. I also watered the plant with Microbial Biostart on a weekly basis. I continued this treatment for 3 months and then only watered the plant every 2 weeks because I mix a Haifa controlled release fertilizer into my growing medium.

I noticed that the roots were growing over the top of the 20cm pot yesterday. When I removed the plant peg and noticed my note about the Fusarium treatment. I looked up the plant stats on my database where I collected the history of 24 November 2006. I removed the plant from the pot and there was hardly a cup full of growing medium left in the pot. I washed the masses of healthy white roots and left it on the lawn in the rain overnight. I repotted the plant into a 30cm pot because I did not remove the original 2 suckers which now have 8 and 9 leaves each. There are another 3 suckers appearing as well. Here is a photo of what the Pseudo stem looks like today with the previous damage clearly visible.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is the root ball today.

This photo compares the 20cm pot from which the plant was removed yesterday and the repotted plant in a 30cm pot to have sufficient space for the new suckers as well for the next 2 or 3 years and will look forward to experience a speciman plant pot with at least 3 umbels next year and perhaps 7 umbels in 2 years time.

Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
082 468 4410

CliviaMall

• Departed Friends
  • Titanium Member
  • 1951-2009
    • Driesesgarden
Re: Recovered from severe Fusarium
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 12:29:14 »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:
Dries Olivier
Tel. +27-(0)83-264-6230
http://www.driesesgarden.co.za

• Titanium Member
    • CLIVIA SOUTHAFRICA
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2008, 13:05:45 »
I am so glad that you shared this article.  I will keep it in my archives.
WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS.

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Titanium Member
  • It's always too soon to panic.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 13:19:23 »
Hello Heinie,

:clap: :good:

Take a bow, this is the sort of input we all need and can learn from.

Mike

• Titanium Member
  • Interests in Clivias & growing plants from seeds
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 09:30:40 »
Good info Heinie, :clap:   welcome back. Great to hear from you again... :poke:  :good:  :mmm:
Cheers
George...

• Platinum Member
  • The Harder you work the luckier you get
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 13:30:13 »
Thanks Heinie
As George said this type of info is the stuff Im intersted in
Thanks again
Gary
Silver Ridge Clivias
Toowoomba
Queensland
Australia

silverridgeclivias@bigpond.com

• Titanium Member
    • CLIVIA SOUTHAFRICA
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 13:44:30 »
Excellent information.  Thanks for sharing.
WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS.

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 00:04:54 »
Thanks for sharing the information.  This is an excellent guide.

Best,

L.T. TRAN

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2016, 13:21:50 »
 :) dankie.
If you not dreaming. You're just sleeping.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias