Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Another fabulous Peach and a sad tale  (Read 560 times)

Online Mary Wise

• Titanium Member
Another fabulous Peach and a sad tale
« on: September 10, 2017, 01:51:46 »
I was so pleased when this Peach from my seedlings flowered for the second time, apart from anything else it is early again so I guess this is how it is going to behave.  The parent is my wonderful Western Dawn and though i suppose on shouldn't boast I think that this is better, at least I personally prefer the flower shape of my seedling plant.  The sad tale is that I noticed yesterday morning that there is rot on the side of the base of the flower stem, felt like crying but instead I scraped what I could get to away and plastered it with dry Copper Oxychloride.  If anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate hearing them please as I would like to be able to see the flower fully open.
I have attached a photo of the Mother plant
South West of Western Australia

CliviaMall

Offline RobertJ

• Silver Member
Re: Another fabulous Peach and a sad tale
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 06:03:13 »
Hi Mary,
We in South Africa are also experiencing early flowering. Nature is a very good barometer of season change. For a long time now I have heard people say the weather and seasons are changing. Even the birds are nesting earlier. Enjoy all your Clivias flowering.
Regards,
Rob
Johannesburg
South Africa

Just be nice to the person next to you, and smile, it does'nt cost a cent.

Online Mary Wise

• Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 11:19:52 »
Hi Robert, perhaps I didn't put that quite as I meant it to be, this plant flowered early last year too so obviously that is just how it is going to be.  The majority of my other plants are bang on target and are in bud and will flower in a week or two.  I thought they were going to be early but when I checked the majority will be doing their thing about the same time as they always do :)  We have had a burst of warm dry weather, hope we get some rain soon, I am having to water.

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Offline Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 12:25:05 »
Hello Mary ,
                To save the scape , flower head and seeds , I scrape out the dirt as you do and clean with H202 .
I then leave the wound to dry and apply " tree seal " or Bitumen ... Have saved many a head of seeds this way .

Online Mary Wise

• Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 11:38:38 »
Thanks Lionel I will hunt for tree seal when I go to town on Wednesday :)

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online WillemFourie

• Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 19:33:59 »
Mary, in my little experience I discovered that some plants are more prone to rot than others.
The main thing, as I see it, is the potting medium. It should allow as much air as possible to reach the clivia's roots. It is important to remember that clivias are semi-air plants. You can add course sand or even crushed stones to the pot. Don't add any soil: just rotted or fresh leaves and some stones (25mm diameter... used for floors and other cement products... nitrogen-binding bacteria must have something to grow on).
Oxygen (fresh air) should get red of pathogens.
Ex Afrika Rekenaars, Paarl, South Afrika
021-863-1856
"Was Gott tut, das ist wohlgetan" (J.S. Bach: Cantata BWV 100)

Online Mary Wise

• Titanium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 01:14:18 »
Thanks Willem the problem hasn't happened with the root area it is way up on the flower stem.  The potting medium I use is very free draining, going to town today so I will look for the sealer stuff to treat the wound although it may be too late.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart