Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Trechorderma Whats that?  (Read 1429 times)

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Trechorderma Whats that?
« on: July 11, 2017, 08:04:50 »
Being one that loves all the "foods" For plants i had a seed planted in my brain about using organic and natural foods used by nature mostly by Lionel and having some excellent seeds i decided to look at other ways to encourage growth as time is catching up and you want to see the results as soon as possible so i went on Hygrotech site to look for a product to germinate them in and saw they sell this Trechorderma in one seedling mix ,and remembering a post of someone a while ago that they got very good results with a Hygrotech product i started reading up on it
It is a fugi that when used on your plants or seedlings creates a better root system ,with hairs and a layer around the roots forming a barrier to protect them ,it also protects the plant against stress caused by drought etc,and once it is used it multiplies and grows more and carries on protecting and most of all promotes plant growth now inwas hooked
As with everything you only hear things like this after you studied the whole internet when you share this newly received knowledge with a friend and the answer is yes i know i use it!!! Thanks Johann for only telling me now
i am not advertising for Hygrotech and only sharing there product there is also other companies selling Trechorderma in 15 gram packets like Tunnelquip and the hydroponics store this use with  mixing it with water and pouring it around the plants selling around R15.00 per packet it is well priced compared to R315.00 for the seedling mix that is 20 KG but then again it has other growth enchances in
I Love watching Gardeners World and Monty uses a similar product that he puts on the roots of all plants he plants i cant think of the name it starts with a
M i think Mycorcial and his Plants are so good getting all the protection it needs from Beneficial Fungi and Bacteria
So slowly i come around to these natural products shows you you can teach a old Dog new tricts!
Use it Dont use it i for one will order mine and i encourage you to read more on it
Happy Growing and please share your thoughts on this and your knowledge on how to get that Miss World to flower sooner even if it just one year now back to dreaming about that special flower that will bloom and make me fall in love with Clivia again all over
Regards
Martin

Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Offline Johann

• Silver Member
Re: Trechorderma Whats that?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 10:43:19 »
Hi Martin
The name you looking for mycorrhizal fungi.

I use "Microroot Supreme" (available from most of the larger nurseries) on my bonsai, clivias, orchids and garden. I will never but never plant any plant without Microroot.

Microroot are expensive, but if I consider the growth rate of my clivia seedlings and the overall health of my clivia, bonsai,orchids and garden plants, its worth the cost for results obtained.

Our Bonsai Club has done a lot of experiments in conjunction with Dr Joanna Dames of Rhodes about 5 years ago, in  the distribution of mycorrhizal fungi in Bonsai soil (Soil Tests were done by Rhodes on soil samples of various bonsai trees, from various grower with various soil mixes) and the use of Microroot to improve the distribution of mycorrhizal fungi, the results after using Microroot were astounding.

If I consider the results from the soil tests performed the results obtained in the use of Microroot, that a Bonsai is a "Tree in a Pot" and a clivia is a "Plant in a Pot" I have assumed that the distribution of mycorrhizal fungi in the clivia pot will also be low, resulting in me using Microroot on all my clivias, as soil tests to test the distribution of mycorrhizal fungi are very expensive.

From Micoroots web page:

INFORMATION

What are mycorrhizal fungi?
Mycorrhiza literally means “fungus root”
These are beneficial fungi found in undisturbed soils
These fungi form a symbiotic, mutually beneficial relationship with 90% of all plant roots
The host plant receives mineral nutrients from the fungus
The fungus obtains sugars from the host plant
There are several types of mycorrhizal associations
The most commonly encountered are the arbuscular mycorrhizal (AM) fungi.

How do they function?

The fungus grows by means of fungal filaments called hyphae
The filaments grow both inside and outside of the roots
The fungus is intimately associated with the plant roots
Providing a link between the soil and the plant
They extend the plant rooting system improving root functions
They allow for better exploitation of the soil environment
They increase surface area available for nutrient uptake
They make nutrients soluble which are normally not accessible to plant roots
They influence the soil environment covered by the fungal filaments
Encouraging growth of beneficial bacteria and other non disease causing fungi
They ward off unwanted organisms which can cause plants diseases
Such as eelworms and root rot
They produce a biological glue
That promotes soil stability and increases moisture penetration and aeration of the soil

Never be defined by your past. It was just a lesson, not a life sentence.

Johann Espach
Majestic Clivias

Offline Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 11:33:33 »
Thanks Martin and Johann.

Regards ,
             Lionel.

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 11:45:38 »
Thanks Johann
Valueble info as always thanks for sharing
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Nick Woods

• Platinum Member
    • Yarmouth Clivia
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 09:46:38 »
Thanks for this interesting thread, Martin.
I had vaguely assumed (didn't actually bother to think about it) that Clivia would not be involved with mycorrhiza - which are certainly critical to the growth of forest trees - since  Clivia roots are not woody. I hope to be proved wrong on this!

In the UK mycorrhizal treatments tend to be pricey, but I found something called Rootsboost and I have now started a trial using that. Too early to report any results, but 1 month on I can see no evidence of any harm.

I remember that Chinese growers often swear by Oak leaf compost: it is possible that brings mycorrhizal fungi into their pots. I don't have any Oak leaf compost, but I recently visited my daughter in North Wales who has a huge and ancient ash tree in her garden. So I brought back a bag of "leaf mold" (plenty of rachis remnants and bits of half-rotted twigs as well!) to extend my trial. My ash leaf mold is far from sterile, obviously, so I am restricting it to plants that I can afford to lose.

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 13:16:55 »
Hi Nick
Thanks for your input,i have spoken to breeders that use Mycoroot and they seem  to think it works,i have planted seeds that have just germinated in A Trecoderma soil and am extremely happy with it will keep you posted
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Offline Johann

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 16:27:21 »
After doing some more research on the internet on organic products, Growth Hormones and Fungi in soil  I came across this web page: https://www.explogrow.com
Herewith a short extract from their web page:
A revolutionary, 100% bio-organic, polymicrobial liquid fertiliser. Reduce N-P-K fertilizer. Rehabilitate soil. Reduction in watering. Much larger crop yields. Increase your profit per hectare!
"The unique microbial composition places ExploGrow™ in a league all of its own". Dr Stephanus Malherbe, BSc; BSc Hons.; MSc (Microbiology); Pr.Sci.Nat. (Agricultural Science); PhD (Agronomy).
After studying their web page and discussions with their reps, I decided to order some of their product, to do a controlled study with this year’s seedlings,
I have planted out my seedling into growing pots over the last two weekends from my germinator, leaves between 10mm and 20mm with average root length between 50-80mm and will be using Explogrow at 10ml/L and 10ml/L molasses at 50ml per 17cm pot surface sprayed onto potting mix. applied every six weeks, on 5 seedling and no Explogrow on 5 seedlings as control from  8 different crosses where I have 10 or more seedlings of each cross, with 50% reduction in the same organic fertiliser that I will be using on the control group of the same cross.
I will also test a new liquid Seaweed fertiliser I found from Metson Manufacturing in Kaya Sand JHB, in this study, based on brown seaweed (Ascophyllum Nodosum See: http://www.acadianseaplants.com/) imported from Canada, which is scientifically proven to have a bio-activity 4x more than green seaweed extracts from South African waters.
I will be using 2ml/L KelpCharge Max D a N 175g/kg P 50g/kg K 25g/kg liquid Seaweed Fertiliser with added trace elements mixed with 100ml/L worm tea and 10ml/L 0.1% dissolved carbon as carrier, applied as a drench bi-weekly and 2ml/L Liquimax DC a liquid seaweed foliar spray with added trace elements every 4 weeks one’s leaves are dark green as all my seedling leaves are yellow to very light green from the germinator with no light.
Also available from Metson are Liquimax eKstra 3:1:6 (21) for flowering
Never be defined by your past. It was just a lesson, not a life sentence.

Johann Espach
Majestic Clivias

Offline Charl Coetzee

• Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 11:29:46 »
Hallo,

I was one of the first to use Trichoderma in my mix,
about 15 years ago,
I belief old pine needles contains te same beneficial fungii
but Explogrow is the New Jerusalem,  a good mix,
bring it on!,
or use pine needles...

groete/greetings
Charl Coetzee.

Offline Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 19:21:45 »
We mix from 10% to 30 % Horse Manure Earth Worm Castings in all of our potting mix .
We spray our plants with a Fresh  liquid Fert made with worm casting " tea " as a base .

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermicompost

Offline RobertJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2017, 11:35:21 »
Hi Martin,
Thanks for this, very interesting reading.
Regards,
Rob
Regards,
Rob
Johannesburg
South Africa

Just be nice to the person next to you, and smile, it does'nt cost a cent.

Online Nick Woods

• Platinum Member
    • Yarmouth Clivia
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2017, 12:41:05 »
Recently I had to repot a few plants  and noticed an effect from my mycorrhiza treatment. So I selected 1  I made part of the trial I started in July, where I took a photo of the roots at the time of treatment, and tipped it out on the bench. Only 2 months later and a clear improvement.

This is the plant in July, on the day I treated it:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

and this is the same plant today:

Looks convincing to me, anyway.

The product I used is called Rootsboost and cost £15in the UK for 500g which treated 230 plants - £0.06/plant.

CliviaMall

Offline RobertJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2017, 14:10:22 »
Hi Nick,
It has certainly made a huge difference, the roots are really plump. Thanks for sharing the info with photos to back it up.
Regards,
Rob
Johannesburg
South Africa

Offline Diane

• Titanium Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 06:42:35 »
Wow that is certainly a great difference, not only in the amount of roots but the girth of individual roots too.  And Im sure I see a difference in the depth of green in the leaves, no doubt from the increased ability to absorb nutrients.
What a wonderful elixar!

I did a quick google look for a similar product in Australia and a Yates page was found advertising Yates Uplift Organic Plant Starter & Root Booster.
So maybe once Ive got my shade house done I will try that on a few and see how I go.
Diane

Victor Harbor Fleurieu Peninsula South Australia

Online Nick Woods

• Platinum Member
    • Yarmouth Clivia
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2017, 22:21:33 »
Hi Robert and Diane,
Thanks for your comments. I am definitely a convert to this approach.
I think it's worth mentioning that this plant was really a slow coach from the beginning. I germinated the seed in August 2013 and it has always struggled.  I certainly hope that this mycorrhiza treatment will make a big difference to my weaker plants.
The downside, of course, is that for those who already get plants to flower in 3 years there may be very little benefit: if your growth rates are already 100 % optimal, then you probably won't need this., 

Offline RobertJ

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 09:39:04 »
Hi Nick,
Thanks again for your post. I found a similar product available here in SA really inexpensive. I am going to use it on my seedlings, although they all look super good I am sure the benefits will improve their growth rate. Will keep you updated.
Regards,
Rob
Johannesburg
South Africa

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart