Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Overheard last plantmarket  (Read 212 times)

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Overheard last plantmarket
« on: March 14, 2017, 08:14:13 »
At the last Plantmarket a few breeders were talking about how some breeders just continue to breed stunners and shift the boundary all the time
speaking about a specific breeder the statement made was that this breeder looks at colour foremost and not groups then shape size and form ,it has stuck with me that this is thinking out the box not restricted to groups but seeing in there vision a Gem in the F1 and F2 generation
any ideas?
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
Re: Overheard last plantmarket
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 09:46:00 »
Martin, I cannot agree with a breeder that goes for colour in the first place and also not with someone ignoring groups.
We often hear people say that clivia are very unpredictable in their breeding outcome. Why? It is because we do have very few 'pure' clivia left.
If I may generalize, then I would say we are pollinators and not breeders. My advice to people who believe in colour only, they should mix the pollen of many clivia and use that to pollinate their plants.
Look at what is happening in the Game industry. The wheels are coming off for those who invested in colour/mutation breeding.
Good oranges, yellows and bronzes are still taking the major awards on our shows. Look what happened to the prices of Apple Blossoms and Andrew Gibsons over a few years and compare that with Apoline over many years. Quality needs no introduction!

Chris

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 10:14:36 »
Hi Chris this is what makes Clivia breeding exciting is the different points of view i however also agree with both views A Breeder by the name of Conway went the mixed pollen route and has bred amazing plants with the shot gun approach as well as the breeding of the fantastic Kirstenboosh Supreme bred from two yellow groups and it still is a stunner
To keep lines clear like your Appoline ect is a must but i think there are also space for different views, form and shape can be bred in but colour not and there isxa view get the colour and shape and form can follow
I totally agree that Clivia genes are largely mixed up today and for that exact reason i have always asked to name a cross when selling seeds and not to use one name for a cross ,by keeping a register backgrounds can be given and by doing that the history of a plant can be shared
thanks for sharing your view i know you as a person that is one of a few that study the makeup and genetics of Clivia  and keep strict controls thats why i like our discussions
regards
martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 13:44:39 »
Interesting comments and thread. Yes some breeders have done well to identify and select for unusual colours and these do appeal.
However, in an article on Kevin Walters,written by Di Matthews , a plant judge told Kevin, the breeder goes firstly for excellent flower form, and then achieves colour variety.
I guess we are lucky that so much work has already been done in terms of colour and flower and plant shape, that we are way ahead. I'm not buying much seed at the moment, but seeds that would interest me would include sibling/ parent  F2 gene recovery crosses.

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 14:03:35 »
Hi Michael
No one can argue about Kevin his legacy speaks to itself,what makes breeding interesting is the different ways to make the ultimate Clivia and i am sure there are many ways to achieve the ultimate goal
Yes indeed we are lucky we have been handed a pallette of stunning plants to work with
thanks for your input
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 19:20:46 »
hi Martin I would like to join in this discussion so I use a dictionary next to my computer .I was growing clivias since 1993 and the only colour I knew was yellow and orange and pollinate between them until I met the late Christo Lotter and I have a chat with and he inspired and told me about interspecs and set the ball rolling .From all the cross pollination of yellow and orange I got beautiful ghost flowers .Then I join the clivia club and to put plant on the show and start collecting pollen with permission from different exhibitors ond my clivia collection expand ive got a few names but I only go by no of different colours for me what is the actual colour of clivias mainly orange and yellow thanks Martin I like read what other people think Regards Gerrit

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 19:32:43 »
Hi Gerrit thankyou for posting yes a lot can be achieved by just using two colours namely orange and yellow ,most colours today are from these two with the exception of Peach and pinks from habitat eg Chubbs ,Oribi Gorge and a few more others,that is why we should be gratefull to the pioneers of yesterday
Heard that Pastell wont be regarded as a colour on the showbenches anymore
,i have to agree with that as apricot.light orange and more are called Pastels,maybe a subject for another day
THANK You  all contributing to post there will always be different views but we can all play nicely
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy