Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Monday read by Shige and it is good  (Read 437 times)

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Monday read by Shige and it is good
« on: March 06, 2017, 10:36:11 »

That's the case that pollen of Haemanthus albiflos was used for crossing of clivia.

Why I used the pollen of Haemanthus albiflos ?
That's for the plant which can't do self-pollination crossing. (Self Sterile)

Actuallyu I have a nice F1 hybrids as interspecific hybrids ( good multipetal x (miniata x gardenii ) ), and this flower had 60% multipetal with tublar flower.
I did twice self crossed to that however this F1 interspecific hybrids never set seeds unfortunately.

One day I heard very interesting topic from my best Japanese friends.
One sterile cactus had set the seeds using for mixed pollens.
This mixed pollens are ( Sterile Cactus?s pollen + one Cactus of Distantly related ).
And this Cactus offsprings were confirmed as self crossed.

I forgot the name of these cactus unfortunately, but I got the idea from there for my sterile clivia flowers.
But I choiced closely related species for crossing of my sterile clivia plants, it?s a Haemanthus albiflos.

Then, how did I do that ?
Test plant is my sterile interspecific hybrid ( good multipetal x (miniata x gardenii ) ) for pod parent.
As you know clivia flower has three divided stigma, and at first self pollen (pod parent) is put to 2 over 3 of stigma.
About after 3 hours, pollen of Haemanthus albiflos is put to left one stigma.
That?s all and I found the berries today and set the seeds definitely for my hybrid of ( good multipetal x (miniata x gardenii ) ).
Also I was try to same things to other my sterile interspecific hybrds and all plants had set the seeds by this method.

Why I did first used self clivia pollen than pollen of Haemanthus albiflos for this test.
It?s to extend a pollen tube to that even a little. I think sterile plants can?t enough extend a pollen tube at pollination.
That may be the one something is restraining....

So, I tricked to self sterile plant.
First,  make pod parent recognize pollen of clivia ( self pollen).
Probably, that pollen tubes are extending even a little after pollination...

Second,  make pod parent recognize pollen of Haemanthus.
Probably, pod parent recognizes this as something heterogeneous.

Third, pod parent accept to homogeneous than heterogeneous.

If you think very unique for my method please try it to your nice sterile clivia plants !

Best wishes
Shige
Saitama, Japan

Thank You Shige for sharing this information with the forum
Many Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
Re: Monday read by Shige and it is good
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 18:01:00 »
Shige is using a good technique. The reason it works is that in order for the sperm cell in a pollen granule to move from the stigma down through the style to reach the flower ovary, there has to be a tiny tube for it to travel in. An unpollinated flower has no pollen tubes. To stimulate tube formation, each pollen grain has special enzymes and complex sugars that are released onto the surface of the stigma. The tubes begin to form there and then lengthen down the style to the ovary. Some flowers are immune to their own enzymes, so they're self-sterile because even though their own sperm could fertilize their own eggs, the sperm have no way to reach the ovary. This is nature's way of promoting genetic diversity.

However, plants that are distantly related may use similar enzymes, so you can use their pollen to open the tubes, and then the plant's own pollen can travel through and achieve self-fertilization. It just needs help from the distantly related pollen, and in this case a haemanthus is the helper. Since clivia have 22 chromosomes, while haemanthus have 16, a hybrid is very unlikely because the unequal chromosomes could not form enough working pairs for the plant to live. Only the otherwise self-sterile clivia's own pollen is going to create viable seeds.

Also, you can use closely related pollen, even from another clivia, if you sterilize it so that the sperm is inactivated. This technique is used frequently in the Hippeastrum breeding community because there are so many self-sterile plants. All you have to do is microwave the helping plant's pollen for 10-20 seconds, long enough to kill the sperm but not enough to destroy the enzymes. Since the enzymes are from clivia pollen, they work even better than haemanthus pollen to make pollen tubes. Just be sure you don't also microwave the pollen of the clivia you want to self, but rather only the pollen of the helper plant.

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 19:18:14 »
Thanks Mark
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2017, 19:21:13 »
Great thread. Thank you for sharing.
If you not dreaming. You're just sleeping.

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 09:27:28 »
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. Will try on a sterile plant in my collection.
Never be defined by your past. It was just a lesson, not a life sentence.

Johann Espach
Majestic Clivias

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • CliviaKaleidoscope
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 16:34:37 »
 Thanks Martin for such an interesting topic and thank you Mark for such a clear explanation for those of us who don't have a lot of biology backing.

Julie
web site: http://www.CliviaKaleidoscope.com
I sell Clivia seedlings to United States residences

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 06:50:31 »
This is fascinating.  Thank you Shige for sharing that tip with us and thank you to Mark also for the clear explanation as to how and why it works.  Will have to fossick out a recalcitrant plant and try it out, see what happens.
So pleased to see you reinstate this great thread Martin, your hard work is much appreciated.
I have been mia on and off with major computer problems which I thought were resolved but weren't.  Fingers crossed after round two.  Think I am going to have to bite the bullet and upgrade to blasted Win 10 which I have resisted so far :(
South West of Western Australia

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart