Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Clivia Shows  (Read 1724 times)

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
Clivia Shows
« on: January 23, 2017, 07:11:15 »
Can we talk about clivia shows? How important are clivia shows? Which part of the show do you enjoy?
I should be interesting to hear people's views on this topic.

Chris

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
Re: Clivia Shows
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 07:14:25 »
Sorry, 'I' should read 'It'.
Chris

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 17:33:06 »
I see more than 50 people visited this post, but no contributions so far!
Who will break the ice?

Chris

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • www.utopiaclivias.co.za
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 19:14:24 »
I like the interaction with the public and other clivia growers.  :good:

Carrie
Utopia Clivias
Carrie Kruger             Don`t dream your life, live your dreams!
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183
cel: 27 833431288 
 www.utopiaclivias.co.za       Clivias, orchids, daylilies and Incas

Offline Registered Member

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 19:23:56 »
Hi Chris for me is to help with the preparation hall and when that is finished the benching of the plants and the exciting part is after the judging to see how the exhibitors performed and the opening of the show and all the people enjoying the the clivia and their commends

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 20:20:14 »
For me assisting with the benching and the seeing those most beautiful flowers to be judged is absolutely awesome.   And when the sales start is probably the best part.

Regards
Sophia
Don't wait for someone to bring you flowers. Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul.
Wellington
buffie@cybersmart.co.za

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 06:00:46 »
Thank you Carrie, Gerrit and Sophia for your views. In the Cape we have an annual show and than we also have displays on two or three weekends at different venues.
At all these events we have plants for sale, but the idea is also to introduce clivia to as many as possible new people. Through interaction with each other, we all learn something new about clivia, we see old friends and we meet new people. It seems obvious that the whole event of an annual show plays a big role among clivia people.
If we focus only on the show. This is where we operate under certain club or society rules, where we enter plants, the plants get judged and awards are won. What are our views on entering plants, on the rules, on judging? Do you like entering plants, can the rules be changed to make it more attractive to enter plants?
Chris

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 11:25:11 »
Seeing what has and is being achieved by the breeders blows me away everytime. I'm sure when I know more people involved with clivia the social aspect will start playing a bigger role.
If you not dreaming. You're just sleeping.

• Silver Member
  • I am hooked on clivias!
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 11:50:53 »
Hello Chris.
I love every aspect of the show....but what I love most, is people that bought plant and seedlings from me in previous years coming back to show the photos and positive feedback. The interaction with the people is so rewarding....I love it! Last but not the least. ..the beautiful plants on show!

Love, Hester Correia
Don't wait for it to happen, make it happen!!
Brackenfell.
Cape Town
hcorreia@yebo.co.za

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 12:14:21 »
Definitely Important ,
                                Debbie and my motivation to grow Clivias came from seeing the BEST flowers in KZN on show at our shows .
Although we are too busy during flowering season to take part in the shows , a visit to view hundreds of top Quality Clivias  is a must .
A big thank you to all in the Country who devote their precious time and energy to making the shows possible ...... we owe you .
Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 17:31:01 »
Thank you guys for your comments. Judging from the 7 people who commented so far, I get the idea that that the selling/buying of plants at our shows is perhaps a bigger draw card than showing plants. To put it differently, if I as a club member show plants at our local show and I sell plants at a sales table at the same show, then the selling of my plants is more important than winning some prizes on the show. Is this a fair statement to make?
Chris

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 20:45:00 »
Our show in Bloemfontein is in the passages of the Fleurdal Mall. For me the interaction with the public is probable the best part of the show. To see and speak to a member of the public that has never even seen a clivia is special. Secondly the participation of our members and to see a new member's face glow of pride and enjoyment when they win a price is also special. Do not forget the special feeling when showing a plant that flower really well and to receive some recognition for all the effort over the years. The selling of plants during show time is of less importance to me. I am only selling plants to make space in the shade house. I don't trust people that are in clivias only for the money!
André du Toit

André du Toit

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2017, 06:54:11 »
Andre, thank you for your sincere comments. It is good to hear there are members who enjoy showing and enjoy their prizes for all their efforts.
Personally I think we should more focus on own bred plants rather than bought in plants. A show should be predominately about own bred plants and a small section should be an open class for bought in plants. At the moment it is the other way round.
Chris

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • www.utopiaclivias.co.za
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2017, 09:04:01 »
Hi Chris

I don`t really show much on the miniata shows, I like to show my breeding at the interspecific shows. I do however like to show own breeding plants at the miniata shows and every year put one or two on the show. The only problem is, that most newbies buy in plants or nowadays whole collections. How would you know when someone has bred that specific plant? What rules do you put in place to make sure the plant is of their own breeding. I know in that specific class the member has to write the history and the purpose of your cross,  but would members want to do that with all their plants? I am not so sure.
A good idea, but maybe not a practical one. Some members buy plants specifically as show plants, I only buy a plant if it has a breeding purpose in my breeding programme.

regards
Carrie
Carrie Kruger             Don`t dream your life, live your dreams!
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183
cel: 27 833431288 
 www.utopiaclivias.co.za       Clivias, orchids, daylilies and Incas

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2017, 11:54:42 »
Thank you Carrie for your valuable comments. The rule already exist for own bred plants vs bought in plants. I believe we should do away with giving a write up on own bred plants.
What sense does it make to write a nice story after the event in any case? We do sit with a long term hobby, so therefor we have to keep open classes for bought in plants otherwise it will take a long time for new comers to show. For me it is a much bigger achievement to win a show with an own bred plant.
Our advise to new comers often is to buy good material from established breeders. What better CV for a breeder if he/she consistently does well on a show with own bred plants?
These are only some of my own views as I have no right to change current rules and standards. a Good debate might help those responsible to constantly improve rules and standards to the benefit of members.
Chris

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart