Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Some twisty bits  (Read 8342 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Gold Member
Re: Some twisty bits
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2007, 08:51:01 »
Very nice, is it still available?
David

I want to die like my grandfather in his sleep, not screaming and kicking like the passengers in his car

CliviaMall

• Youngster
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 17:38:57 »
Now that is twisted, but very very very nice. And I just love the name twisted sister.

Jade
Live Your Life the way you want to Live it!
You don't Live FoReVeR!
Where ever you are GoD is with you!

• Platinum Member
  • Summer 2009 Hortech
    • Flower Farm and Gardens Blog
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 21:19:50 »
This old thread has answered one of my questions.  There are Chinese plants with this trait and I have 2 but everything I have read has suggested the trait is not inheritable.  This gives me hope I may be able to breed with these plants. It is nice when you can discover "new" information in an old post!!!
:good:
Flower Farm and Gardens Blog
http://flowerfarmandgardens.blogspot.com/

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Titanium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 22:02:59 »
HI tedd,

I believe the chinese call this Zhuanlan, and is a result of a mutated growth point. The mutation which is evident in the genes of the mother plant would be carried forward onto the offset, weather this mutation will be found in siblings would be another question. None the less keep me posted. Personally i have never seen such a plant flower...

Regards
Alex
Be the change you wish to see in the world.

• Titanium Member
    • American Clivia Society
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 23:50:49 »
Thanks for bringing this one up again Ted. I have one from S.A. 2005 seed. Not sure I like it though. I can't decide which way to face the plant.
Jim Black
Owasso, Oklahoma, USA

• Platinum Member
  • Summer 2009 Hortech
    • Flower Farm and Gardens Blog
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 18:15:21 »
Jim maybe in the future if you still don't like your plant we'll have to trade for something more suitable to your tastes!  I have seen some of the pictures of your collection on the Yahoo enthusiast group and it is fantastic!  I am always amazed by where and what there is around the US.  Just like L.T. Tran's pictures of Mike Riska's place in the thread New Year's Resolutions for Clivia wish list.  There are amazing collections in the US that are mostly unknown.
Flower Farm and Gardens Blog
http://flowerfarmandgardens.blogspot.com/

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2009, 20:11:41 »
Same here Tedd.  Thanks for bumping this thread.  I do have variegated clivias that have developed this growth.  All the while I thought they were sick or mites damaged! I have a mature LOB that developed this "twisted thing" and now has two growth points.  NOT the prettiest sight, I'm telling ya!
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2009, 05:42:15 »
Tedd,

There are many great collections on both coasts.  It is just a question of getting to know people.  Many of these collectors do not wish to publicize their collections.  Where are you located? 

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2009, 09:19:39 »
Here it is.  My sick? virused? mite damaged? twisting? mature LOB.  What is wrong with it???  That "wrinkly thing" just grew from this clivia near it's growth point last summer.  As you can see, the plant still kept it's old growth point.  They are not joined together. Kinda messed up the beauty of this LOB.  Should I try to slice it out or burn the plant?

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• Titanium Member
    • American Clivia Society
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2009, 16:10:14 »
I guess first you should decide if you like it or not, want to keep it, or trade it. Myself, I would remove the new growing point and keep the LOB. This is not the growth pattern of the one I have, on mine the leaves come out, one after the other moving in more of a spiral. This is more like a double 'Sabre Dance that I have. The fact that mine is more for flowers prevents me from removing a growing point. This one for visual foilage effect suffers, but that is my opinion. The next person to respond my scream No, No, keep it as is. I just think growing that close together the leaves are not going to be kept in nice fans in the future.
Jim Black
Owasso, Oklahoma, USA

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2009, 09:30:17 »
Hey Jim!  I definitely do not find it attractive at all.  I shall follow your advice and "try" to remove this perhaps in spring.  It is currently resting in the garage. Ughhh...I hate doing surgery on my plants.  But if do not do this, the whole plant will suffer as I can already see now that the original growth point is being cramped and the new leaves are not developing as how they used to be. 

What could have caused this?  Genetic? I wonder if that "wrinkly thing" would develop LOB variegation in the future.  Could be very interesting if it does.  That is...if I won't kill it !!!

CliviaMall

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart