Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: John's Recipe  (Read 5942 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
  • It's always too soon to panic.
Re: John's Recipe
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2008, 14:38:55 »
Thanks John and all who have contributed to this thread. Very interesting and very special. I cant wait to mix up a batch of this "skokiaan" and spoil some of my lazier plants.

Mike

CliviaMall

• Titanium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2008, 20:48:14 »
Today, I have received my Alfalfa Pellets. Here in Germany it is an addition-feed for horses.   
It is a 25kg sack and will suffice a long time LOL
Liebe Gruesse
Christine

• Departed Friends
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 04:51:04 »
Dear friend:
Das ist gut. Eine Handvoll geht ein langer Weg.
The difference may appear subtle, but I know the plants will appreciate the treat.
Plan to use a little of the pellets in the planting holes of new shrubs and perennials that you are certain to find you cannot resist.

Best,
John
Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody's watching. Life is short. Make it mean something.

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

• Silver Member
  • Work hard. Play harder.
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 06:22:36 »
Hi John,

Great advice. I've used alfalfa pellets for several things, mostly as a nitrogen and micronutrient source for a couple years. A couple organic gardeners I knew swore by this method. I like the tea idea. Very simple. Thank you.

Also, please send me an email. I've been trying to reach you for about a week, but each email comes back as if you wrote it.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing more of your gardening wisdom.

Kind Regards,
Craig

• Departed Friends
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 03:35:10 »
Craig:
My email is jmann@worldpath.net
Best.
John
Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody's watching. Life is short. Make it mean something.

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 15:47:06 »
John,

I like alfalfa, cottonmeal as a supplement to feeding roses and boxwoods, and general plants, etc.  There is only one down side to some of these products - the smell.  It is a stinker, especially cottonmeal.

I am producing some worm compost 'black gold' - and they have worked wonder for the clivia, either as a 'tea' or simply mixed into the soil - I am going to place them on my website soon.  Once we have figured out the labeling package.

Best,

L.T. TRAN

• Titanium Member
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 16:55:01 »
John,

Place, lid loosely on, in a warm, but not hot place, to ferment. Ferment it will !!!  When the activity has stopped, this solution can be strained and diluted four (4) times with water.

How long does that last with 22°?
Liebe Gruesse
Christine

• Departed Friends
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 17:09:15 »
Christine:
I put the strained liquid in a plastic milk jug that has been cleaned and sterilized with Sodium Hypochlorite. Clorox over here.
22C is cool and the liquid should be fine for a month or so. I am certain that there will be some degradation, but not much. I make it up a couple times a year, in the early Spring and the early Summer. Using it is to encourage growth, so one does not wish to use any stimulant too late in the growing year.
I am thinking I will use it more often on the seedlings that I will encourage to grow through the year. I want those little fellows to really be hearty, and hardy, in an attempt to see bloom in three years.
Hope this helps.
Best,
John

• Platinum Member
  • The Harder you work the luckier you get
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 13:26:43 »
John ,
I will be intersted to see the results on the youn seedlings
Please keep me informed.
Not meaning to be rude but you have been gardening longer than i have been around and you must have learn't a trick or two in that time.
Please keep the info coming
Cheers
Gary
Silver Ridge Clivias
Toowoomba
Queensland
Australia

silverridgeclivias@bigpond.com

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member