Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: John's Recipe  (Read 5819 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Departed Friends
  • Platinum Member
John's Recipe
« on: January 16, 2008, 04:21:59 »
Perhaps this will help the few who are willing to take the chance.
In a clean container with a lid, place one cup of Alfalfa pellets. This is not the rabbit food but pure Alfalfa in pellet form. Usually available from an animal feed store.  Put in two ordinary Vitamin B1 tablet that you have crushed, along with two multi vitamin with iron, also crushed. Add 1/4th cup sugar.
To this add one gallon  water.
Place, lid loosely on, in a warm, but not hot place, to ferment. Ferment it will !!!  When the activity has stopped, this solution can be strained and diluted four (4) times with water.
I use it to spray my garden as a stimulant and growth enhancer. I also soak newly arrived plants of any genus before planting.
The one thing you must know.
The Alfalfa is a known growth stimulant and the B1 is as well.
This solution has worked miracles for me for over 50 years of gardening and working with plants.
Best,
John
Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody's watching. Life is short. Make it mean something.

CliviaMall

• Platinum Member
Re: John's Recipe
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 08:34:58 »
Hallo John.

Interesting! ! !

Some further questions:

Do you spray the solution on the leaves of plants or on the soil?

When you say: "I also also soak newly arrived plants of any genus before planting.", do you mean that you totally immerse the plants in the solution?

It appears that you have developed something closely ralated to SuperThrive.  I would be glad to learn more from you.
Willie du Plessis
SOUTH AFRICA

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 11:57:56 »
does any body know whether we get alfalfa tablets in south africa and if so where and under wich name its worth a try to use this concoction thanks john
regards
martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

• Titanium Member
  • Smile-eeey
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 13:43:01 »
If not for rabbits, what are the pellets used for? This is so that we can go and ask at our petshops for the equivalent product. Also, what does it consist of? Can you also perhaps give us a picture of what it look like? Sorry for all the Questions, and thank you for your input.
Johan & Paula
Tel Home:011 972-3068
     Cell 072 203-2391

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Family, Parrots, Clivias, Orchids and Motorcycles
    • My websites
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 15:00:32 »
[wiki=]Alfalfa[/wiki] = lucerne
Gideon Scheepers
www.cliviaforum.co.za
083 233 5144 
**** please note new number

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 16:55:22 »
thanks Gideon die boer het a blonde oomblik gehad nie gedink aan lusern nie oops
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2008, 20:43:03 »
VITAL health producs sell alfalfa (lucern,fenugreek)compressed tablets
"When was the last time you did something for the first time"

• Titanium Member
    • Loeria's Clivias
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 21:47:33 »
Johan, you already have your plants on steroids (triplets)...adding this concoction will result in you having to use a step - ladder to take pics of the flowers!  :laugh:
Clivia greetings

Louis

E-mail: loeria24@gmail.com
www.loeriasclivias.co.za

"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

• Titanium Member
  • Interests in Clivias & growing plants from seeds
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2008, 04:44:10 »
 :laugh:    :good:     :laugh:    :mmm:
Cheers
George...

• Departed Friends
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 23:00:54 »
Hello again:
The pellets are used for feed. The rabbit pellets contain other ingredients as well as some alfalfa. I do not think that any tablet from a health store will be the same. Perhaps some extract but not the pelletized alfalfa hay.
The primary reason for fermenting is to allow the heat from the wetting of the pellets to be dissipated.
When they are wetted, a  great amount of heat is generated.
I, and others, use them in planting holes in the garden before a new plant is planted.
We place a half handful of pellets in the hole and mix it with some soil. Add lots of water and let it rest for a couple of hours. Then the new plant can be planted.
As to soaking the plant on arrival.
Yes, I soak the roots in the solution that has been diluted. I usually leave them over night.
As to where to use the spray.
I use a two gallon garden pump up sprayer. I spray all over the plants. If something in the garden seems to need a tonic or a treat (:})  it gets a bit longer spray.
Some may know that alfalfa hay is a choice food for high bred race and show horses. This is the reason that manure from racing stables is much prized by organic gardeners. It is for this reason that I developed this substitute for Superthrive. It is more than the B1.
Here is where I must admit that I have no idea if this will be of benefit to potted Clivia. I am so new to this plant and have much to learn. But this I surmise. Any plant that has its natural home as an understory plant will most probably benefit from this.
They thrived for eons in leaf litter. We know that composted leaves have all that a plant needs as far as nutrition goes. The roots seek the minerals deep in the soil and transports this to the leaves. The leaves, when they die and fall, contain all of these nutrients but for the sugars that they made. That is sent to the roots for winter storage.
My solution simply tries to replicate liquid composted leaves.
GET OFF THE SOAP BOX JOHN !!!! LOL
Best to you all,
John
Work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody's watching. Life is short. Make it mean something.

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 23:13:44 »
Thanks John ! You are doing just fine on that soap box !

• Gold Member
  • Palms, Cycads, Clivia & Rare Plants ...
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 23:47:53 »
Hi John,

I find your line of thinking very fascinating. 

When you use your mix as you explained, would you also use other /additional stimulants?

How long would you say does the nutrition last per spray dose and would you apply once or twice a week, or every time you water your plants?

Have you any suggestion how this mix might interact chemically to fungicides, if at all?

It would be interesting to find out if potted Clivia seedlings would mature faster and produce maiden flowers sooner than normally.

Your contribution is outstanding and most valued - any predictions in this regard?

:thanks:
Regards
Midge

Cell:      +27 083 627 1232
Fax:      +27 086 528 1701

• Departed Friends
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2008, 00:42:14 »
Thanks for the kind words.
I use it as a spray when the plants start a new growth cycle and then a couple of weeks later. This kick starts them and helps for the whole season.
Here in the mountains of New Hampshire, USA, we have very cold winters and reasonably hot summers.
Plants in the garden are usually starting their Spring growth in late March to middle of April.
As an example, Hosta have another growth spurt in August as they get ready for the cooler Fall. I usually anticipate that August spurt by a couple of weeks and spray a couple of times.
I have not, in many years, noticed any adverse effects when using in conjunction with other products. I am certain that if one mixed solutions that there would be some sort of chemical activity.
As I am an avid organic gardener (sometimes backsliding if a plant is threatened by a fungus) I do not use many compounded chemicals. Vinegar, salt (Sodium Chloride), Ammonia and such is my arsenal. I have learned in 60 years of gardening that if one's soil is healthy, the plants can almost fend for themselves against their enemies. A proper pH (organic matter will stabilize pH) good drainage, adequate nutrition, proper light and temps are about all a plant needs to grow reasonably well. Add to that, for those special plants,and it will thrive and then some.
This "Superthrive" stuff is that which is extra. Not necessary but then we all want our favorites to be special.
A little story---
I once knew a very vain man that had metal taps put on his shoes.When he walked down the street little sparks would fly from under his feet. All the kids would marvel !!!!
I am sort of like that guy. When I walk through my garden, I want the sunflowers to turn their heads from the sun and look at their hero. LOL
Best,
John
PS---This is not a fertilizer. It is a growth stimulator. Not  necessary after a plant has started to grow.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2008, 00:55:42 »
To all -

I grew up raisingg rabbits, and feeding them pelleted alfalfa. Two things to note. Behind the coops, where lots of uneaten food ended up, Tradescantias grew en masse 2-3 feet tall. The manure of course, went in the garden and you will not believe how productive sandy loam can be with some of that 'black magic' thrown in. Haven't tried it, or it's tea, on my Clivia...yet!

peace,
paul michael
Brooklyn, NYC USA
'...but what do I know?'
vrede,
paul michael
Brooklyn, NYC USA

• Gold Member
  • Palms, Cycads, Clivia & Rare Plants ...
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2008, 01:09:20 »
John

Thanks for your quick reply.

Good story you wrote at the end there.

I like the idea that, where possible, one should aim to use organic material - it just brings the setup a  little closer to "how things were" in nature. 

I am sure that even with show plants, we have many untold recipes whicw are used to 'boost' our plants as such and bring us closer to that 'perfect' Clivia (or any other plant).

After all the years you must have a  great many tales to tell and also a lot of experiences to share.

Please post some pictures sometime when you have the chance.

Again, thank you for sharing.
Regards
Midge

Cell:      +27 083 627 1232
Fax:      +27 086 528 1701

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy