CliviaMall

Author Topic: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement:  (Read 1774 times)

Online DewaldC

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement:
« on: October 06, 2016, 18:32:38 »
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement: "The Clivia seed selling industry is built on you failing?"

CliviaMall

Online Mark_in_Texas

• Silver Member
Re: Do you agree or disagree with the following statement:
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2016, 18:39:38 »
Before I vote I should ask, isn't most hobbyist plant selling based on this premise? After all, that's why we're hobbyists. We're still practicing....

Online DewaldC

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2016, 22:49:10 »
"isn't most hobbyist plant selling based on this premise?"
I'm not sure,but there is a documentary called "The men who made us thin" :D
They come to the conclusion, that diet plans don't work.... If they did,the diet industry would be out of business.

The poll question does not have a right or wrong answer. :)

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Offline Gianpaolo

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2016, 05:43:23 »
I do not agree, one needs to be strategic in what seed we buy. Some luck may be involved too and it is a bit of a gamble but in the end nobody is forcing you to buy seeds are they?

Offline Johann

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 11:49:44 »
I do not agree, buying seed is a gamble but if you purchase from reputable breeders, your chances of raising a show stopper are better than 1:10.
Never be defined by your past. It was just a lesson, not a life sentence.

Johann Espach
Majestic Clivias

Online Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 13:59:50 »
Hello Dewald ,
                     It is good for all involved , especially the inexperienced , that we keep bringing up the subject of seed buying and selling ...... Thank You Dewald for this important post .
This subject has been brought up by you quite often in the past , I am sure you have an opinion.
Could you please let us know your honest view on the subject since these are your words   "The Clivia seed selling industry is built on you failing?"

Should you or others agree with your statement , maybe some suggestions could be made to improve matters .
I personally think the statement is not very clear ... what do you mean by " you failing " ?

I M H O , ( I watched the same program ), it is not the Diet Plans " Weight Watchers " recommends that leads to failure .
If I remember correctly 16 % , those who are serious about losing weight AND FOLLOW the Weight Watchers , succeed .
Rather it is the inability of the rest to stick with the Weight Watchers Dieting guidelines that leads to failure .
And as is human nature , we blame everyone except ourselves .
It is also MHO that the only failure with seed selling and buying , is the failure of the buyer to educate himself before investing his money .

Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 14:46:48 »
On a lighter note and speaking of weight loss  ... I lost over 10Kgs over a few months by following the guidelines of 3 other TV shows .." Survivor " , " Naked and Afraid " and " Alone ". :surprise:

I noticed the participants all lost weight by the simple method of starvation  LOL.
It worked ....  I reduced my food intake ... fast 1 day and eat anything I wanted to the next .
I noticed my tummy shrink after awhile and I did not want to each much ... NO diet , No exercise .
As my stomach shrunk and I lost weight I found it easy and more desirable to eat lighter more healthy food .
I also noticed I had more energy and slept better .

If at first you do not succeed try and try again !

Regards,
              Lionel.

Online Julie56

• Gold Member
    • CliviaKaleidoscope
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2016, 15:00:47 »
Thank you Lionel for putting this so clearly. I too believe it is human nature to blame every one and every thing except ourselves. If we do our homework and we stick to a plan (reputable breeders) we should be able to grow above average plants. It has been said over and over that the "show stopper" comes along rarely, there are too many gene factors involved to get a winner every time. Being some what of a gambler is just part of the hobby. I for one do not think it's built on failure. If a person buys a plant enough times and it either is not attractive or it dies, that person will not only quit buying they will tell others what kind of experience they had. IMO word of mouth is a very powerful tool and should be used carefully. Businesses in large part base their success or failure on word of mouth.  JMO  Congratulations, Lionel on the weight loss. It's a shame, more people should use those arm muscles when at the table and push themselves away once they are full.

Julie
web site: http://www.CliviaKaleidoscope.com
I sell Clivia seedlings to United States residences

Online DewaldC

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2016, 19:07:40 »
Hi Lionel

Could you please let us know your honest view on the subject since these are your words   "The Clivia seed selling industry is built on you failing?"
I change my mind a lot, regarding buying clivia seeds Vs buying one good plant.
Currently I think it's statistically unlikely, that someone buying 1 packet of seeds will obtain the result they are hoping to achieve.
Strangely enough every year ,I end up buying more seeds. ;D

"what do you mean by " you failing " ?"
To state it differently,most seed grown clivias will not be worth keeping.

"It is also MHO that the only failure with seed selling and buying , is the failure of the buyer to educate himself before investing his money ."
I personally don't believe anyone's to blame and clivia seed buying should never be seen as an investment opportunity.

Kind regards,
Dewald

Online Mark_in_Texas

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2016, 19:53:47 »
Thanks for the clarification, Dewald. By "failing" I thought you meant the number of seedlings that don't make it to blooming size, not the ones that do and are less than hoped for.

Offline WillemFourie

• Bronze Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2016, 02:23:56 »
In chicken breeding, one can eat the breeder's failures.
In plant breeding, one must allow earthworms to eat the breeder's failures.
But when is a failure a failure? Can any growing organism be a failure because it grows and reproduces?
It depends on the breeder's more exotic aims and the buyers more exotic expectations - other than what is just natural.
In the farm animal industry, growth, feed conversion, kg produced per money invested can be measured.
In exotic breeding human likes or dislikes are the rule - and these cannot be as easily measured. And the more picky humans become, the less likely they will find what they want and the more often they will have to eat their "failures" (or get earthworms to eat them).
I think any exotic breeder has to accept the fact that his "failure" rate will be very, very high. And if thousands of plants have to be produced to breed ten or twenty exceptionally desirable ones, so be it: the rest can become exceptionally good compost.
Ex Afrika Rekenaars, Paarl, South Afrika
021-863-1856
"Was Gott tut, das ist wohlgetan" (J.S. Bach: Cantata BWV 100)

CliviaMall

Offline LeRoy

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2016, 07:03:27 »
Hi
Firstly I sell seeds and secondly I purchased seeds. If I thought that (The Clivia seed selling industry is built on you failing) then why would I purchase seeds? I have had quite a lot plants grown from seeds flower and have been very disappointed in the outcome, but then I have had a few plants that were grown from seeds that I have been very happy with. I must also point out that all the new exotic clivia’s have been grown from seed. When you purchase seeds of a special cross made by a seed seller your chances of getting that special plant are as good as the seed seller. You cannot determine the outcome of the clivia seeds by looking at the seeds. When you purchase seeds on eBay of those exotic colors purple etc then certainly your chances of getting something special are ZERO. When you purchase seeds from an established grower then certainly you do have a chance of getting that special clivia. To me the thrill of a clivia flowering for the first time from seed is still better than knowing the outcome of an offset purchased.
Regards
LeRoy
Cell 0783800595
Tel 011 4780039

L G Dale P. O. Box 3449 Cresta 2118 Randburg Gauteng  South Africa

Offline Mike Rummerfield

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2016, 07:18:57 »
Speaking only for myself, I make or have failures all the time, both in the clivia realm and my personal life.  I try to learn from those failures and mistakes so as not to repeat the same actions that lead to the failure.  My results are mixed; but then I'm human, or at least last time I checked.  I'm bound to make many more.  I am only too glad that reputable seed producers are there so that I can recover from my failures and ever expanding expectations/hopes, at least until my next 'failure'.  I just wish the recovering didn't take so long.

One can always raise one's own seeds and keep the failures in house.

:rule:
Mike
༺The more love you give, the more you have left.
     Love given grows; love hoarded dwindles.༻
     --Sir John Templeton

Offline Etienne

• Titanium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 11:36:54 »
Interesting topic one which I tried to approach from a different angle not too long ago. There is only 2 ways to get a clivia. Buy any plant you desire as an offset or grow it as seed. Not that i'm interested in shows but personally I would never show a plant I bought as an offset.
Seeds certainly is very satisfying in the sense that you do not really know what you get. That for me is in part why this is one of my hobbies.
an outcross = an real outside chance of result / but very satisfying when it happens
linebreeding = greater chances of results especially trying to hit the genes yu buy in.

From the personal investment side; I do not see a future in investing money on the global market. There you can also have a satisfied or bad result yes?
?

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart