Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Miniata x mirabilis  (Read 1902 times)

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
Re: Miniata x mirabilis
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 09:25:20 »
My question is where did get the plant from? Did you grow it from seed? Do the leaves exhibit mirabilis traits apart from the white median strip I can see?

CliviaMall

Offline Registered Member

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 10:16:28 »
I'm with you in questioning it Michael. I acquired it as a yellow miniata x mirabils as a young plant so I did not get to see if the seed germinated in typical mirabilis way. Its leaves show the median stripe but they do not have strong pigmentation as one might expect from mirabilis. Based on the flowers shape I would be inclined to say that they look more like a nobilis influence but then the leaves have no notching at the ends nor do they have any serration/roughness towards the bottom.

What are others thoughts or expertise? Maybe I will have to wait to germinate the seed to see if any germinate the mirabilis way....?

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 10:39:51 »
While I cant speak with regard to the specific cross of miniata x mirabilis I do have a couple of plant that have nobilis in their background.

I find the leaves are thinner, only slightly rough along the sides when compared with a genuine Nobilis, but rougher than a normal miniata.  The plants I have with the Nobilis heritage do occasionally have a notched leaf but its always a young leaf and generally grows out in the normal shape.

Hope this helps.
Diane
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Victor Harbor Fleurieu Peninsula South Australia

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2016, 12:36:38 »
If the green stay after a few days, you have a lot of potential with this plant
Never be defined by your past. It was just a lesson, not a life sentence.

Johann Espach
Majestic Clivias

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • CliviaKaleidoscope
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2016, 15:25:32 »
I see you pollinated one flower, may I ask as to what you pollinated it with.

Julie
web site: http://www.CliviaKaleidoscope.com
I sell Clivia seedlings to United States residences

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2016, 15:36:52 »
If it indeed does have mirabilis genes in it my guess is that it could be an F2 which might explain the flower shape and low flower count. Just a guess as I don't have anything with mirabilis in flower yet but the hybrid plants in second generation dont have much of mirabilis signs anymore.

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2016, 01:43:10 »
Hi,

Thanks for the info Diane. My feeling certainly suggests nobilis, so far the leaves have not shown any notching at all and their margins are as smooth as a miniata, there is no serration or roughness at all. The leaves themselves are quite thick and robust but are more akin to miniata in that they don't have the same 'leathery' feel as straight nobilis.

Johann, the green seems to be persistent... it has been very green so far and now as the flower matures there is some yellowing in the throat but still the green remains. I look forward to seeing the full senescence.

Julie, I have selfed this flower. I don't know how successful it will be as the pollen maturation so far has been poor with only some anthers ripening and even then the pollen has been grainy. My thinking with pollination so far it to self some, put group 1 yellow pollen to her to to hopefully compliment the yellow throat and yellow breeding in its background, also (Hirao x GT original) x charls green to hopefully accentuate the green characteristics and open and lift the flowers more but I'm not sure if it's is a wise idea to cross group 2 into her? I am also considering putting either a multipetal or Belgies best bronze x Bronze Green boy to her with the hopes of a compact inter been the result. I would very much appreciate peoples advice on pollination as my experienced with inters is very limited...

Michael, thanks for the interesting info, I would be surprised if it were an F2 but there is value in thinking this as its characteristics seem far removed from either mirabilis or nobilis and the flowers are more upright and open then what I would guess for an F1 cross of either mirabilis of nobilis. I agree, the flower count is low, for either mirabilis or nobilis... but I'll forgive it being that it is a first flower.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias