Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Crossing two Cameo Daughters  (Read 3102 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Silver Member
Crossing two Cameo Daughters
« on: June 03, 2016, 16:56:28 »
I crossed these two very beautiful Cameo Daughters from Liz Boyd. Travelling to our farm near Kimberley caused the damage to the flowers that is visible.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Cameo Daughter 1

Cameo Daughter 2

What can I expect from two parent plants like these ?
What percentage would be keepers?
Should I grow all the seeds?

I also pollinated some flowers with Appoline pollen that I was gifted by a friend.
What could be expected from these crosses?

Thanks
Cora

CliviaMall

• Platinum Member
Re: Crossing two Cameo Daughters
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 17:03:46 »
Hi Cora

I would grow all the seedlings as it is a numbers game . Only the expert grows will  be able to tell you what you can expect . I am a beginner .

I think they are really beautiful .  :good: :clap:

Kind regards
Ronald

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 17:09:20 »
Cora two stunning plants Cameo has made a name for itself
I expect a large percentage of offspring to be show Quality,
If space is not a object grow all to flowering size
Crossed with Appoline you will get some pastel orange a some with large flower heads and recuved flowers, maybe the best yellow around
Exceptional plants Cameo
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 18:01:50 »
Martin, I couldn't help but to smile when I read your post. Not all of us are so lucky to have an Appoline or even pollen thereof. I hope Cora does ;-)

But I do agree. Two plants of this quality should breed some stunners when crossed betweem themselves. I'm going to be extremely conservative and say that 25% of the offspring should be as good as or better than the parents. If the grandparents are of this quality then this percentage could go up dramatically.

I also agree that offspring should be grown to flower before selections are made, especially if space is not a problem. I would also nt do heavy pollination. I'd much rather have fewer seed and a quality flower the next year than heavy seed set and a flower of an inferior quality or, God forbid, no flower the next year.

Cora, your plants are exceptional beauties. I have said this many times - a very good orange is (to me) as beautiful as any other color. I just LOVE a good orange
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 18:21:23 »
Cobus I agree with your sentiments,Liz introduced a lot of good plants this and Salmon Queen are my favourites, I am sure Lionel showed some crosses between Cameo and I think Angelique and that was stunners
What more can be said about Appoline ?there are few yellows of that qaulity around
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 06:09:55 »
Martin, I was just pulling your leg.

These oranges are exceptional. I would maby introduce a TKO or Hirao with dark green throats to try and induce a green throat on a flower shape like this. I think that could be quite gorgeous. Plus you split the plant for TKO/Hirao to breed back for a TKO/Hirao with superior flower form. Just my idea
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 07:58:11 »
Thank you Ronald, Martin and Cobus.

I hope Liz sees all your compliments!  :admire:
She sure breeds beauties with Cameo - the pollen parent is unknown so there might be yellow in the parentage of my Cameo Daughters as well.

Cobus the colour is pastel although it looks orange in the photos. I'll post another picture to give you an idea of the colour.

I unfortunately couldn't resist heavy pollination so I might not have flowers this year even though I harvested the seeds early. :-[

I know Lionel has done some crosses with Cameo and his best Hirao - Cameo already has a light green throat so I think it is an excellent idea to try and get the green back.

Thank you for all the advice - I hope some more breeders or growers will give their ideas on what the percentage of good plants in the offspring might be.

Regards
Cora

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 08:10:27 »

Cobus , the flower opening to the right of the Cameo daughter in front is a pastel blush. At the back orange flowers are visible.

I still need to get my photography better to reflect the colour better!

Cora

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2016, 08:30:49 »
Now I am going to tred where angels fear to walk,but this is my view and that is whats nice all can differ
I think that there still has to be so much worked to be done with good orange clivia that I would use Cameo to breed excetional oranges like crossing them with Kirstenbosch Supreme and selecting the best orange seedlings and sibling cross those maybe also with a good Chiffons Daughter and get stunning recurved plants with big umbels
I know there is a obsession with Hirao at the moment and yes they need work to get that big umbel and flower size,but I really think that the humble orange plant is still magical and needs work to be perfected
When we have the Forum shows and Eddie and I check in the show plants the Van Heerdens bring these massive orange , big umbel large flowering plants it takes your breath away and they are show stoppers
Just my thoughts
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 10:27:34 »
Thanks for sharing Cora , your Cameo offspring are gorgeous .
 Just love the Pic of the shadehouse .
Please post more Pics of your growing areas if you will .
Regards ,
              Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 14:42:35 »
Having spoken to Liz this morning, she confirmed that Cameo is split for yellow and that makes some new doors open like crossing with Vico,two other crosses I would like is with five Roses and Foxy lady
Jmho
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 20:16:29 »
Martin, I absolutely echo your sentiments about oranges. I have a huge infatuation with oranges, especially if they can produce flowers of the quality of Cora's Cameos. At some stage last year I went full out to get some good new orange blood into my collection, and found a few really good ones.

I just cannot resist a good orange (even if it is a pastel orange). I'm drawn to it like a moth to a flame. To me a good orange is anyday as beautiful as any other color. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them!

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2016, 09:24:30 »
Thank you Martin, Lionel and Cobus ,

I also really love oranges (I think we all do) but I bought the two beautiful pastels to get more pastels . I get the feeling from your answers that I could expect a lot of oranges.

How do I go about getting more seedlings like these Cameo Daughters?

Cora

PS :love1: I would love a Foxy Lady - does anybody know where I could get one?

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 12:54:17 »
Cora, I am under correction, but it seems that breeding your two Cameos with each other would probably give you more pastels. Crossbreeding with yellows, peaches, TK's and Hiraos would also probably increase your chances of getting more pastels

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2016, 12:14:10 »
Thank you Cobus!!!

Your advice is appreciated.

Cora :)

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions