CliviaMall

Author Topic: Monday read: Robusta, my favourite Autumn flower  (Read 1166 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • www.utopiaclivias.co.za
Monday read: Robusta, my favourite Autumn flower
« on: May 22, 2016, 19:10:49 »
Hi all

I thought it would be appropriate to give some insight into my large collection of Robustas which are currently all in flower. Please feel free to add your thoughts or experiences with Robusta and its breeding to this article.

Kind regards
Carrie

Robusta, my favourite autumn flower

By Carrie Kr?ger, Utopia Clivias,

Autumn has always been my favourite month of the year. The colour changes of leaves, the fresh autumn breeze and the new burst of energy that we discover after the long hot months of summer.
And of course? the flowering of my large variety of robusta plants.

Clivia robusta General:

Clivia robusta or otherwise known as the Swamp Clivia has been identified as a species on its own, through genetic analyses of seeds . These seeds were grown by Dr. Keith Hammet after he received some seeds from Graham Duncan. These were collected in Pondoland and that is now where most of the robusta populations occur. This plant is named after it`s robust growth habit, with some plants reaching up to 1.8m.

Description of Clivia robusta:

These plants are generally large, although in drier areas they tend to be stockier with broader leaves. The leaves are between 30 - 90 mm wide, strap-shaped and up to 1.2m in length. They produce pendulous flowers from April to July in colours ranging from yellows, pale to deep orange and scarlet reds. Flower shape could be short and stocky to long and narrow with green tips. They reproduce well, setting plenty of seed and young seedlings are often found on the forest floors.

Natural habitat of Clivia robusta:

They are found predominantly in Pondoland. A small colony also occurs in the Southport area on the KZN coast. They grow mainly in swamp forests or next to streams. Colonies also occur well away from water, growing only in leaf mould and also in rocky areas. Small colonies also occur in the Eastern Cape close to Port st Johns. The colonies that occur in the pristine swamp forest of South KZN are fantastic and in flowering season, provide a spectacular display of flowers.

My robusta collection started with a batch of plants bought from a local wholesale nursery in 2004, whom had it marked as clivia nobilis(?). These were bought for a landscaping project I was working on at that time. Upon arrival I could immediately see that they were indeed not nobilis, but another species, simply by the shape of the leaves and size of the plants. They were almost all in bud at that time. I decided to wait for them to flower before I planted them.
When they started flowering, I decided to do some research into their background and found out from one of the owners of the nursery, that they were collected as seeds from a habitat in Natal. They were all robustas and some better and more beautiful than others. I selected and marked all the plants with unusual colours, bigger flowers and large umbels to breed with and used the rest in the landscaping project.

These handpicked plants were pollinated between one another and flowered about four years later. Once again, the best flowers were selected and kept aside; some with very pretty and unusual colours. Bigger flowers were produced in this first generation by simply crossing them to each other. These are now all named and numbered and used in my breeding programme.  I have been experimenting with special coloured miniata flowers as pollen parents and vice versa. Some of these crosses should flower in the next season or two. I have seen that the flowers in the first generation of Robusta crosses are much bigger than F1 flowers of Gardenii crosses. My aim is to not only get bigger flowered interspecifics, but to also improve on colours and patterns. This may take a few years, but patience is something all keen clivia breeders should have.

Robustas are not only beautiful plants with a wide variety of colours in autumn, but also very good breeding plants to use for breeding good interspecific plants with a high floret count and a wide variety of colours and leaf shapes.

Here are some Robusta varieties in our collection:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Carrie Kruger             Don`t dream your life, live your dreams!
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183
cel: 27 833431288 
 www.utopiaclivias.co.za       Clivias, orchids, daylilies and Incas

CliviaMall

• Silver Member
Re: Monday read: Robusta, my favourite Autumn flower
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 19:42:28 »
Thank you Carrie. Very helpful read.
If you not dreaming. You're just sleeping.

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 03:40:48 »
THANKS, Carrie, good article and beautiful photos. The variety one gets in robustas seem to be immense and they seem to be good parent plants to breed interspecifics from.
I cant wait for some of the seedlings I have in the pipeline, some from Wayne Hasselau`s robustas out of Pondoland.

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 10:30:53 »
Thanks for such a lovely post Carrie .
Your Robustas are beautiful .
We have many also in flower now and your post has inspired me to pay them more attention .

Regards,
             Lionel.

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 21:50:05 »
thank you Lionel, Johan and Neil for your kind words.

regards
Carrie
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 15:33:04 »
Your Robustas are all very beautiful but the Ruby Red is a real stunner! :rose:
Thanks for sharing.
Linda
Albertslund, Denmark

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
  • Collecting Clivias since 2008
    • clivias2go
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 21:06:48 »
Hello Carry
Interesting article. Your collection offers so much breeding potential. The ruby red is really pretty.
Thank you for sharing.

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 19:46:57 »
thank you Linda and Derek.

regards
Carrie
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy