Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Do we know what colour Clivia is popular?  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Do we know what colour Clivia is popular?
« on: May 04, 2016, 07:18:30 »
Having my morning read through old  Clivia year books I saw a interesting article on Clivia colour for the public,
It is a article written by a Australian that send out a few hundred Questionnaire to nurseries so that he can breed plants they wanted for there customers, he received a lot back and then wrote about the plants they wanted and the results are a eye opener not that I would ever be interested in growing and supplying nurseries but I would like to get the general consensus of what the man in the street wants
Sometimes people come to my house in flower time and walk past (which in my opinion a fantastic full head Peach) and walk strait to the humble orange plant and drool over it and here I am trying my best to lead them to my favourites? Having been a sales trainer for a number of years I forgot the cardinal sin DONT ASSUME WHAT THE CUSTOMER WANTS ASK because what is good for you is not what others want
To get back to the purpose of this post the most popular colour was
Yellow
Orange then followed by bronze and to my dismay pink came in at o 10 with MP variegates even lower down are these people crazy? I mean pink at no 10 what surely there kust be a mistake!!! But then you thinh when driving around all of a sudden your eye catches a burst of orange and your eyes are drawn to it because it stands out and says look at me
If you look at People's choice at the different shows very seldom it is what the judges choose as BOS
I have been blessed this year I have had plants flowering from June last year and never had a week without one flowering and currently have numerous flowering between them a normal yellow and orange and people come and rave at these normal plants
Then I think back to when I started and when I saw my first Clivia a orange I hardly did not sleep thinking about this amazing plant and when I found out there was a yellow one I moved earth and heaven trying to find one,eventually getting Seeds from Tannie Toy and today I have forgotten my first love the humble orange time for a wake up check and just go back and appreciate all of Gods beauty
The top plants according to this article for a garden
Sahin twins
Daruma
Chubbs peach
And some more
Maybe you would like to post your favourite colour
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online DewaldC

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
Re: Do we know what colour Clivia is popular?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 08:13:52 »
Maybe you would like to post your favourite colour
Group 2 yellows and European peaches. 8)

Online Chris Smit (Berge)

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 09:06:35 »
Colour is all in the mind. If you breed clivia, you want to breed a blue one. If you breed agapanthus, you want to breed an orange one.
I , like most people, prefer good flower shape and balanced leave structure. A good orange between a group of mediocre rare colours, will always get my attention.
Martin, if I have to settle for one colour, it is a top bicolour.

Chris

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Offline Cobus Roos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 09:49:40 »
I just love them all. But .... a good orange to me is still one of the best. I have a fair mix in my collection, and the ones I'm looking forward to most to see them in bloom are probably my oranges, with or without green throats. Last year at NCC show I bought a dark orange with green throat for the hefty price of ZAR150 (about US$12) and there is no money that can buy this beauty from my collection now.

I also love pastels, and really good yellows. My first introduction to clivia, like Martin, was oranges. En masse flowering the create a stunning sight. I also moved heaven and earth to get a yellow, and they came from my late mother's garden. Prices were quite steep then, and I could not afford them. My mother had two yellows in her clivia patch which never flowered for her, and after her passing in 1997 I uprooted them and brought them with me to Gauteng. Both started pushing spikes within two weeks. They are both still in my collection, and marked "Hansie #1" and "Hansie #2" (her name). Although not the greatest of yellows, they seem to be extremely good pod parents, producing some very good offspring. I still breed with them, more out of sentiment, and regularly gift their offspring to others.

I have numerous original Oribi Gorge plants, gifted to me by oom Ammie Grobler's wife, tannie Tertia, after his passing in 2004. They too are special and sentimental to me. One bears an umbel of 35+ flowers every time it flowers, but has never made any offsets. It is a fair orange, and it is used as pod parent to try and increase flower count in offspring.

The new colors coming to the fore in recent years are stunning, and I have a few in my collection. These new colors excite me as I believe we have only touched the tip of the iceberg in what is possible.

Sean Chubb one day said to me :- "There are no such thing as an ugly clivia. Some are just more beautiful than others." This, to me, summerize how I feel about this wonderful genus
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias