Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Monday Read  (Read 4813 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Bronze Member
Re: Monday Read
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2016, 13:08:31 »
Hi Guys
Very interesting, especially for one like me, who have only been in the game for a few years. To add my few cents, here are 2 photos of Q3Q6 crosses, one with Camerons Peach and one with Natal Yellow.
I got both these from Alick McLehman and have selfed them both. I have several 1 year old seedlings of which several are unpigmented. I hope to get at least one with an AB type colour, but with an umbel and florets like the magnificent watermelon colour CP cross on the photo (the large watermelon flower in the last photo)
Q3Q6 X Natal Yellow:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Q3Q6 X Cameron Peach:

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
  • I am hooked on clivias!
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2016, 17:41:14 »
Very interesting topic. I just love the apple blossoms! I have two in my collection. In both plants I dont know the breeding history. First one got on a auction at the Cape Club in flower and the second one I got from Gideon van Zyl just marked as n Q...............

This first ones flower count was low.....but the second one wat very high for a first flower.
The seeds that set from the second flower is not very big. I have put no 1 pollen on it.

Regards,

Hester
Don't wait for it to happen, make it happen!!
Brackenfell.
Cape Town
hcorreia@yebo.co.za

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2016, 02:29:18 »
Both are lovely Hester
Clivia Guy
083 458 3892
012 809 0053

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
  • I am hooked on clivias!
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2016, 10:29:58 »
 :laugh:
Thank you Rouzell!
Don't wait for it to happen, make it happen!!
Brackenfell.
Cape Town
hcorreia@yebo.co.za

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2016, 17:58:35 »
Yes lovely Hester.. and your AB x Cameron is lovely Johan .
Thanks for sharing .

Regards,
             Lionel.

• Platinum Member
    • Clivia USA
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2016, 20:34:48 »
Lets see what can I add to this:

AB Q2 X Charls Green = Orange with GT Taken back to Gloria----dunno yet.

Kirstenboch Yellow X Q2 = Orange We selfed this, unknown. This plant however is variegated so we will be using it with other variegated crosses.

Both of these were from seed purchased from others.

Haven't been able to do any of our own breeding with Apple Blossoms yet. Will confirm the slow growth and high tendency to lose leaves as they grow.

Lionel told us years ago that they were just a killer to work with. Really should have listened. We have appleblossom Seedlings at 5 leaves from groups that are at 10 or more now. Not a good plant for the impatient or those short on space, and Im both of those things heh.
If you got clivia problems here are the solutions we have used that will work:

http://cliviausa.com/pages/The-Learning-Center.html

Currently hating the fact that Clivias bloom 1-2 months later than most of the rest of the US where he is....

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2016, 15:09:18 »
My friend has bloomed several Gloria X AB seedlings and has told me that some will bloom with that blush and some will bloom orange. There was an orange result posted in the Yahoo Clivia Group also.  Kevin (Makins) bloomed a Gloria X AB that had plain yellow flowers. So it is not like you are making an AB X AB cross.
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

• Platinum Member
    • Clivia USA
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2016, 19:31:06 »
Yeah we know. That's why none were ever sold, just growing them up to see what happens :) Waaay to much risk to sell them. If we are able to rescue that blush back out of the plant great, if not it was worth a shot :)
If you got clivia problems here are the solutions we have used that will work:

http://cliviausa.com/pages/The-Learning-Center.html

Currently hating the fact that Clivias bloom 1-2 months later than most of the rest of the US where he is....

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias