Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017
Ads by ForumAds
Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Monday Read Breeding Interspecifics By Allan Tait  (Read 2142 times)

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Monday Read Breeding Interspecifics By Allan Tait
« on: April 11, 2016, 09:02:01 »
This is a article written by Allan Tait ,who needs no introduction as he is famous for his Knowledge of breeding Interspecifics,having a friendship with Rudo and Oom Wessel Lotter opened many doors for Allan
Hr is a Botanist and teaches students at The City Nursery so a lot of botanist has been taught by him
I will post photos a little later today

Clivia miniata “Coromandel” X Clivia robusta.

In  May 2004 I embarked on a hybridization project whereby I used Clivia miniata “Coromandel” which was named after the farm where they were produced. “Coromandel” could presumable seen as a Belgium hybrid strain. This was used as the pod parent. The robusta form was a type with a very high bud count and a good flower quality.
May might sound to be a strange time, but coincidently, a whole bunch of these miniata’s was in bloom and there was a robusta in flower too.   A selection of the miniata plants with most varied flower shapes and colours was selected and the crosses made.
In early 2005 about 1000 seeds were sown and they grew rapidly and during March 2006 the seedlings were transplanted into 2 Litre containers. Hereafter they grew fast and the first few flower spikes emerged during June 2007.
During 2008 this number has rapidly increased and by 2009 about 70% had flowered, with the remaining ones flowering in 2010 and 2011.
Some of the observations that were made during these trials were as follow:
Flower season starts in May and last till mid August giving a prolonged period of flowering.The plants that flowered first showed more characteristics of the pollen parent nl, more rapid offset formation and tubular flowers that resembled the pollen parent. Those that followed in the next seasons showed characteristics resembling both parents and the last ones had fewest offsets but the biggest widely flared open flowers, resembling the miniata plants or pod parents.
All plants show good vigor and broad foliage in a fairly uniform manner, though some plants have markedly shorter leaves than others.
Flower cooler is fairly constant with little variation but in some the green tips and centre lines are more profound giving the effect of bronze flowers. Of the initial 1000seeds grown, less than 20 plants have been retained thus giving less than 2% of plants exhibiting characteristics that I had hoped for.
My aim now is to grow plants with these superior floristic characteristics but in a far more varied color range. A few of these had already flowered and the results look promising!
All breeding programs should always aim for quality, not quantity.

Allan Tait
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
Re: Monday Read Breeding Interspecifics By Allan Tait
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:34:15 »
Thanks a Ton Alan , and to you Martin for inviting Alan ....

May I ask a question  ? ... of the 1000 seeds that were planted , approx. how many did you see flower ?

Also
Regards,
             Lionel.

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2016, 09:48:55 »
Hi Lionel all 2000 that flowered
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2016, 10:15:46 »
From these first Narrow type Flowers
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

To This

And then This

You will see how the Flower shape improves with each Generation
Regards
Martin
I will post some colour variations
Please those that breed inters share your knowledge and photos
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2016, 10:32:47 »
The petals look nice and thick Martin , probably the influence of the Robusta !
They are beautiful , we wish you the best going forward Alan.

Regards,
             Lionel

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2016, 14:38:14 »
First bloom seedling I grew from Allan Tait's seed of "BEST SHAPE (top left) X EMMA CHARLOTTE(top right)".  Seed purchased through Louis Fourie in 2009.  Thank you Allan and Louis! :)

We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2016, 15:50:01 »
Maria that is a beautiful Dingle Dangle I love it that Eaam Charlotte is stunning,some good plants coming from Allan,just thinking today there are a lot of members on the forum that has been through Allan,s training I know Quinten Snyman also passed through him and plenty more,
His mother is a walking encyclopaedia of plant knowledge and they are our closest friends
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2016, 20:17:03 »
In the photos of the three generations, what was crossed to produce them? Was it done by sibling crosses to line-breed F2 and F3, or were other miniata genes introduced to continue to open the flower shape?

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2016, 21:50:45 »
Martin/Allan, thank you for sharing your experience on interspecifics breeding with us. The stats on these 1000 seeds tell a thousand stories and is very useful information for those who want to explore interspecific breeding. For me the important lessons are, how the flower shapes differ, flowering time, leave and plant shape. It is also very interesting to note how small a percentage was kept. This is understandable because you started off with two such different plants. Someone one day said to me, if you want to breed interspecifics, you need a farm, because your success rate is so small. I would like to here Allan's answer on Mark's question. Another question would be, once you have obtained the 'ideal' shape, how true will that shape breed as far as shape and or form is concerned.
Chris

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2016, 21:53:03 »
Thanks for sharing. :)

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2016, 04:57:09 »
Nice one. Anymore pictures of Allan Tait's interspecifics please?

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 12:07:41 »
One thing Alan said to me where I was wrong all three photos are F1 the narrow flowers flowerd first the middle flowers second and the last flower opened up lasthe reckons the robusta influence caused the narrow flowers and the latter ones more Miniata influence
Such a varieation on f1 makes you think
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2016, 14:53:05 »
Clivia miniata “Coromandel” X Clivia robusta.
Is there any reason why most of the time people use clivia miniata as pollen parent,when creating F1 hybrids? :)

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2016, 16:56:23 »
Still something I need to get into .... interspec breeding. Waiting for my gardeniis to go into flower. Hopefully soon
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart