Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Chinese Clivia Breeding Li Qiang Monday Read  (Read 2207 times)

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Chinese Clivia Breeding Li Qiang Monday Read
« on: April 04, 2016, 07:55:31 »
Li Qiang has been a member on the forum for a very long time and has extensive knowledge of Chinese Clivia and Breeding
Here are some photos of his setup the text will follow shortly
Enjoy
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As can be seen from these Photo,s Clivia has to be grown in Hot houses because of the severe snow and because of that there cultivation is different to those used in South Africa or Australia
On a news Channel last month they showed the Chinese People Congress in a Hall and behind there president was a long row of Clivia every two feet all of them the same size and shape they looked like they were produced in a factory
Li Qiang will share his expertise with us i am just waiting for the text
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Re: Chinese Clivia Breeding Li Qiang Monday Read
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:57:12 »

Li Qiang feeding plants
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 10:35:20 »

Chinese grow soil composition
Date?2013-8-12  Font ? Big middle small ?  read?2508   [close]
Chinese grow soil composition
rot oak leaf---50%~60%.Grated,can not use other leaf.
pine needle----20%~30%.one kind of soft pine needles but not hard kind,very well for root grow.
Charcoal or coarse sand---10%~20%.
bone meal------few will OK.
Note:Ratio of charcoal or coarse sand---
According to the local climate,If the hot time is long,then use more.for example my local summer from May to October,Then I always use 30% of charcoal or coarse sand or pearlstone(also can use them toghter).
That is and hope little help.

Q&A---about grow seed and plant
Date?2013-8-12  Font ? Big middle small ?  read?2821   [close]
Q: How to grow clivia seeds?
1.Soak seeds 6-12 hours in hydrogen peroxide solution,or weak chlorine bleach solution,or germination-promoting solution.Sterilize germinating medium by microwaving.Place seeds on sterile germination medium. then dry in the shadows;
2.Remove the seeds skin of bud Eye side will more helpful for germination;
3.Cover seeds about 7-10mm deep, then water.Keep medium moist, do not dig in medium to observe germination.The soil sterilization, disinfection, must good air permeability;
4.Temperature: 15-28 degrees Celsius;
Note:water very importment.first water need enough.then water one time about 10 days.also can misting with water on the soil surface each 3 days.do not accept sunlight directly.
Hope this little help.

Q: Can I store clivia seeds?
A: Yes. Place seeds in a sealed plastic bag and filling toilet paper toghter with seeds in order to keep seeds dry, and place in refrigerator at 2-5 degrees C. They will stay viable for half a year or more.
Q:  How do I plant my newly arrived clivia plant or seedling?
A:  In moist, loose, well-ventilated medium.  Then, water until clear water pours from the drain hole.  Keep out of bright sun for 7-10 days.then accept sunlight normal.
Q:  Are there any seasonal tips?
A:  Yes.  Spring: avoid cold breezes.  Summer: avoid direct sunlight.  Autumn: protect plants from rain and splashing water.  Winter: avoid cold temperatures and drying out
How to distinguish the pure Chinese seedling quality
Date?2013-8-12  Font ? Big middle small ?  read?3212   [close]
Has many factors, I only give an example by my one artificer seedling and two shortleaf breed seddling in the follow picture.
first leaf or two leaf looks Ordinary,even looks bad-------thin,soft. but the third,or the fifth leaf will good------hard,smooth,good veins ect.
If the first leaf is upright,veins is obvious, or the leaf top veins Crowded ,you must can get a good,high even top quality plant.
If the first leaf look broad,short,roundtip,looks like a Ping-Pong paddle and looks very lovely.the seedling must a hybrid with daruma.(many many Chinese grower Thought that is ashamed, does not have dignity matter if his plant Has daruma gene). But, the clivia hybrids phenomenon already  common in fact,many famous plant all hybrid,for example Pearl king of MR.Cui changgui who from shenyang.fengguan of MR. guo fengyi who from Changchun. Judges a plant fit and unfit quality by whether to hybrid daruma not to have the significance more and more..
But the different is:A pure Chinese plant,when her mature,she will More and more enchanting in some years. A hybrid daruma plant,once blooming and keep flowers for harvest seeds,her build will change, will become ugly more nad more------No longer has the appreciation value but only as parent plant.
The follow artificer seedling,when I get it only two leaf,very poor and I almost Discarded it.but when the third leaf grow up,I find her do a very pure Chinese artficer plant. The leaf blade willow tree leaf, likely incisive. Leaf veins chang good and harder. I rejoiced that I have not gotten rid of it.
The Date?2013-8-9  Font ? Big middle small ?  read?1653   [close]
This kind plant seclected from ?shortleaf X engineer?X shortleaf
What is chinese yellowleaf shortleaf
Origin: chinese short leaf cultivia X engineer---seclect out yellow  leaf type, then backcross shortleaf. then get yellow shortleaf cultivia.
we also called them "HuangTiLan"=Corpus luteum clivia(sorry do not confirm the translate if or not correct).
Mainly Character: leaf longth 300-400mm,width 70-90mm.leaf colour always light yellow(or said light green),coarse vein,has convex granular vein on the top of leaf.leaf always harder,Exquisite and sleek.
False yellow shortleaf: every ture chinese clivia lover will like get one quality this plant.but always diffcult.so much more grower and seller sell false yellow shortleaf by fair means or foul.I have already bought at least 10 plant,but 8 is false yellow leaf plant.in the seller picture,his plant lookd very yellow,but when i grow it 3 months,the leaf change green,even dark green.no any yeloow colour againe.the seeler would always like said that the reason is my grow work does not reach the designated position? but what is their grow work:never fertilization, very few ventilation,very few sunshine,then the root not health,then leaf change yellow.because it is a ill plant,then leaf change yellow.
Im too lazy spoke to suck seller againe forever.
Then you do not trust yellow leaf plant easily,Unless you have a choice of experience. I believ i had learnd the choice experience after ha made lots of expensive tuition.
ture yellow leaf plant: always can look light yellow colour on the leaf,some not very yellow but more green colour.root must health,leaf looks health too.please watch the show picture.

Grow yellow leaf is diffcult but if you take care it,you will sucessful .
1/for a ture yellow plant,for keep the yellow,shoud accept more sunlight.but can not too much,can not be hurt by sun.
2/The nitrogen phosphorus potassiums proportion is 1:3:5 ,elements and so on calcium magnesium zinc copper may increase much, must depend on own comprehension.
IT IS ONLY MY EXPERINECE,MAYBE NOT CORECT.
*Reaffirm:yellow artficer not means yellow leaf type.This is only for its Chinese name of direct translation.because the origin breeder chinese name is Huang YongNian, "Huang"=Yellow and Huang YongNian identity is a artificer.also translate engineer.
the yellow artficer is parent plant of yellow shortleaf.then,its descendant plant always has yellotwo little seedling, first leaf is upright,veins is obvious, or the leaf top veins Crowded , I will be confident to their future.

Groete
Li Qiang

my clivia page www.chineseclivia.com
cell:+86 133 3783 6951

Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 11:57:59 »
The Attention of Plant Clivia In Hot Summer

By Li Qiang

Clivia afraid of cold and heat. When the temperature exceeds 38 degrees Celsius, the plant's life will face a serious threat, and even death.

My city in the south of China.I love this city, I am satisfied with all aspects of the city eccept the very very bad climate. I hate here weather extremely. Here winter and summer are long, and the spring and autumn are always very short.From NOV to next MAR is our winter and from MAY to OCT is hot sumber. We always wear short sleeved clothes after pulling off the winter coat directly.I have almost no spring and autumn clothes.

In last winter, The minimum temperature here is 8 degrees below zero. It's not really very cold for the degrees, but the air is always wet. The feeling of wet and cold will make a lot of people fear who come from very cold North.

Same matter.when the hot summer come, here will be very hot.The maximum temperature between 37 degrees Celsius to 40 degrees Celsius will consecutive three months. I have said that the air is wet all year round here, the kind of hot and humid feeling, no one would like.

But in such a place,I changed to a clivia lover.It is not difficult to imagine that my hobby will face what kind of challenge.

I will discuss the problems about grow clivia plants that I have encountered and the measures to deal with for the last ten years in this harsh climate environment------These are just my personal experience, not necessarily apply to all.
Follow me.

1.The prevention and treatment of diseases

In summer, there are several common plant diseases is very fierce, such as scale insects, mildew, black spot disease, anthracnose.

Against scale insects is to add a little bit of kerosene, or washing powder in the insecticides, then wipe the blade, spray. Kerosene or washing powder can help us to lift the coccid of waxy protective film and insecticides to kill coccid quickly.

Against the black mildew, leaf spot, anthracnose, a two treatment is prevention.

From April to may each year, when the climate beginning of warming, temperatures rising. At this time I will spraying sterilization agent for all plant, once a week, three times to four times in a row.

Spraying time better to choose a sunny day, at about two block PM, when the temperature is highest,the prevention and treatment effect is better.

In the summer, if still have the appearance of plants as the disease, I will cut off all the sick leaves, and burned them. At the same time, also spraying three times sterilizing agent, still one times a week.

If it still doesn't work, I'll soak the whole plant in the potion for two hours,and replanted after dry the roots.If  it is serious,I had to reluctantly part, will burn the whole plant, so as not to cause more infectious.

2,Water

Water the plants in summer,I am always very careful and dared to let the plants meet water directly.I water the spray wall.Especially adult plants,Their leaf gap had become loose,Once it encounter water,it may be infected with bacteria, and decay quickly. Some are from the core, and some from the plant base, the decay of the speed is very fast. If you don't treat it in time, you will lose it.In last summer.I losed one adult Hirao and one adult Hirao Phyllody plant.ther all get hot rot disease.I lose them and have no appetite for food several days.lucky is I saved their offerset.

The cycle of water in hot summer,my experience is keep the soil dry as you can try. You need to hold back teeth and not watering for plant always. Kepp soil dry, plants will just fell hungry, but safe relatively. I always scary once watering, because always has some plants rot after water in hot summer. This make me depressing unbearable.

About ventilation, shielding the sun, all are conventional operation, need not talk much.

3, soil

Soil must be loose, breathable, which is common sense and not talk much too.

I want to talk is change soil for clivia can help the plant to spend the summer better in  the annual winter or early spring.If the soil is not changed, the new root of the plant will grow along the pod wall. when the hot summer come, the temperature of the pod wall is very easy to rise, then the root with the pod wall will easy to decay, leading to death.

Now you know, It is a how suffering matter that I like and grow thousands of plants in this city.But the more difficulties, the more challenge, I get the joy and sense of achievement from them more too.
I believe all the plant enthusiasts are all good people,
All the plant lovers are all happy people,
All the plant enthusiasts are all the masters of life,
And all the plant lovers are all awakened of life.

webpage address:www.chineseclivia.com

Thank You Li Qiang for a interesting Subject and be willing to contribute your extensive Knowledge
--

Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Offline Julie56

• Gold Member
    • CliviaKaleidoscope
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 15:11:03 »
Thank you so much for the information you have shared with us, Li. I have always found Chinese plants and the growing of them fascinating, especially the "ping pong" shape leaf ones.

Julie
web site: http://www.CliviaKaleidoscope.com
I sell Clivia seedlings to United States residences

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Offline Mike Nagle

• Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 15:23:19 »
     Thank you, Li Qiang, for the excellent article and pictures.  I spent a few hours yesterday repotting my seedlings grown from your seeds.  They look very good.
     Best wishes to you and your family.

Mike
Salt Lake City, Utah  USA

Offline Li Qiang

• Titanium Member
  • LiQiang
    • chineseclivia
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 16:01:31 »
Many thanks Martin great work.
Julie.Yes the Ping Pong indeed a lovely type.
Mike.I trust you always grow yor plant very well:)

Online Chris Smit (Berge)

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 07:02:27 »
Thank you Li for sharing all this information with us. You have some wonderful plants.

Chris

Online DewaldC

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 08:11:20 »
Thanks for sharing. 8)

Offline Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 08:55:09 »
You`re a good man Li Qiang and thanks for sharing , love your last paragraph

" Now you know, It is a how suffering matter that I like and grow thousands of plants in this city.But the more difficulties, the more challenge, I get the joy and sense of achievement from them more too.
I believe all the plant enthusiasts are all good people,
All the plant lovers are all happy people,
All the plant enthusiasts are all the masters of life,
And all the plant lovers are all awakened of life. "

Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Diane

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 09:26:56 »
Great information and Im glad Im not the only one who feels scared when watering in Summer!
Diane

Victor Harbor Fleurieu Peninsula South Australia

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Online Johann

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 14:28:57 »
Thank for the interesting article Li Qiang, just a update regarding my seeds, although my seeds was misplaced by couriers for 4 weeks as you know, only 3 seeds out of 287 has not germinated. 
Never be defined by your past. It was just a lesson, not a life sentence.

Johann Espach
Majestic Clivias

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart