CliviaMall

Author Topic: Breeding and selling  (Read 780 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
Breeding and selling
« on: April 03, 2016, 22:29:19 »
I have a question to the breeders that makes clivias their business. Not sure where to post this so if it has to move thats fine.
How do you as breeder balance breeding with selling? Example; a Cross is made. Do you wait and see what the results are before you sell anything and only sell seedlings of crosses you have made in the past?
Do you only keep the best seed and seedlings? And if you do sell not seen how do you handle missing out on a fantastic plant coming to flower not in your yard.
I would love to know...
I would for example love to buy seed from breeder x but i know i will only get the second best seed if i do. This does put a damper on my willingness to spend money. Lets face it a lot of us love the roll of the dice on raising something special.
What is your thoughts on this?

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
Re: Breeding and selling
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2016, 07:38:25 »
Etienne, I see myself as a breeder, but have not start selling clivia or clivia seed yet. I am a breeder of daylilies and there I sell many plants. My objective, in the first place, is to improve my daylily collection through line breeding. However, you do end up with surplus and you either give it away or you sell it. In my case I do both. I do not sell to make a living, but my expenses are big because of labour, electricity etc. and it helps to cover some of that.
The important thing is what you as a buyer wants. I am sure your needs will be satisfied with some sellers but not with all of them. With some sellers their best breeding might not be good enough for you but with some, even their cullings or surplus might be what you are looking for.
Chris

• Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 08:47:23 »
Thanks Chris for your feedback, what you are saying makes sense. There is of course no right or wrong here.
What does the other breeder sellers think?

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Platinum Member
    • Forest Queen Clivias
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 16:41:10 »
Hi Etienne
I sell seed but there is no situation as you describe thet the client gets the second best seed, i would only grow maybe 5 to 10 seed of a cross as I do not have the space to grow 20 or 30 seed on to flowering. When those flower I will select the best to keep and offer the balance for sale. In my case I would like to think that the client would let me know if there is something special that comes from the seed he/she bought from me and then at least offer me the first offset to buy from such plant. So please be assured that if you buy seed from me you have the same odds to get a good plant as what I do.
Regards Gerhard
 :good:
Time is like a rivers flow, you cannot touch the same water twice,
ENJOY EVERY MOMENT OF LIFE..

• Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2016, 16:52:45 »
Thanks Gerhard 

Traders
@
CliviaMall