Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Broad Leaf Breeding  (Read 2151 times)

Offline Registered Member

Broad Leaf Breeding
« on: April 02, 2016, 09:05:08 »
Just curious if anyone have any information on breeding to get broad leaf plants including what plants are good to use, inheritance from pod or pollen parent, recessive or dominant trait.

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Re: Broad Leaf Breeding
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 09:25:51 »
Hi  Chuck
The broadleaf is inherited from the pod parent and it is a dominant trait
Good plants to use are Daruma,Chinese broadleaf, Lisa,s  Great Wide Yellows I also have seen some very broadleaved Bronze plants and Belguim orange
My personal view go with Daruma
This is my opinion
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2016, 20:43:03 »
 In one of the yearbooks there is an article,where they suggest that you cross Non-related broad leaved plants. :)
Apparently the offspring will have even broader leaves than the parents.

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 04:12:32 »
In one of the yearbooks there is an article,where they suggest that you cross Non-related broad leaved plants. :)

Unfortunately I do not have many broad leaf plants.

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 07:24:26 »
Chuck welcome to the forum,  where do you stay?
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 10:40:46 »
I am in the California, USA. I only have few big plants but I made several seed purchases from South Africa.

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 09:07:00 »

Found the article and just read up on it. It mentioned the leaf size is pretty normally distributed from seed. I will have to check again once I go to the horticulture library

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2016, 20:24:42 »
If you want to start your own broad leaf plant line i will suggest that you use belgium broad leaf plants as the seed plant and use chinese broad leaf plant pollen. The reason why i'm saying this is the chinese plants can take up to 7 years to flower and i get much better results with the belgium broadleaf x chinese broad leaf. I'm getting big flower heads out of these crosse and the leafs is a lot shorter and more compact than the belgium plants. We get different shades of orange and red and green throats out. We have developed a broad leaf line where 80% of the F1 plants are between 90ml and 100ml. We use some of these plants now for crossbreeding as well. I trying to develop my own peach broad leaf plant with one of these seedlings that was crossed with Potties Peach. But will have to wait and see what happen later on.

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2016, 21:21:37 »
Thanks for that info Anton ...you`re a good man .

Please give our best to your Mum and Dad .

Regards,
              Lionel

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 13:10:05 »
Thanks will do that Lionel nice to here from you again. May be one day we will get to a yellow with big flowers and a big flower head with plant leafs thats between 100ml and 120ml. Or may be a short peach broad leaf plant with the same tipe of flower shape and flower head as Potties Peach. How knows what we may get in few years.

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2016, 14:48:29 »
Interesting titbits of information. ;)

"Breeding also suggest that broad leaves in clivia are the result of multipe genes."
- Clivia: Nature and Nurture

"A cross between a Belgian broad leaf and a Chinese broad leaf should be a excellant source to increase the width.However,it appears as if these populations contain the same broad leaf genes and no additional width is obtained."
-Yearbook 6

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

• Platinum Member
    • Yarmouth Clivia
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2016, 15:31:21 »
"A cross between a Belgian broad leaf and a Chinese broad leaf should be a excellant source to increase the width.However,it appears as if these populations contain the same broad leaf genes and no additional width is obtained."
-Yearbook 6

That's likely true for the broadleaf genes themselves - but the Belgian hybrid gene set has necessarily been severely edited in the course of breeding those Chinese and Japanese beauties. Reintroducing the lost genes by crossing  modern Belgian hyrbrids with Chinese /Japanese pollen can reinvigorate the progeny and yield faster-growing more robust compact broad-leafed  plants.

The downside, of course, is that it will be harder to maintain other desirable traits like leaf symmetry, painted face, raised veins and so on. But then there is a cost to everything.

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 00:12:16 »
At this stage are the short compact broad leafs plants with 80mm up to 100mm + broad leafs and a big flower head more important for me. It must have short compact broad leafs to grab your attention and then a pastel or peach or yellow flower head. But will have more info in 6 to 8 years from now if I'm lucky maybe 4 years from now.

My dad and I are busy with broad leaf plants and  Belgium broad leaf plants for more than 20 years now. The best broadleaf plants we got up to now are plants that have come out of a broad leaf crosses my dad did some time again the plants leafs are between 90mm and 120mm broad and the flowers are 80% multi-petal. No multi-petal pollen was used we did not have any multi-petal plants back then.

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 22:23:36 »
11 Years later and I have a yellow broadleaf with 90mm broad leafs.

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 22:29:09 »
I checked the one yellow broadleaf plant today it flowered last year some of the leafs are 90mm.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias