Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017
Ads by ForumAds
Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Monday Read Hotties Hirao  (Read 3000 times)

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Monday Read Hotties Hirao
« on: March 21, 2016, 07:27:21 »
This Monday,s read Hotties Hirao
Please note article written By Henry and Photos courtesy of
Henry
Sean
Lois Lotter
This is a well known plant and has bred many good Offspring i know that there most probably are better Hirao out there but there were questions about this this plant so please enjoy and share your thoughts

Hotties Hirao: (A Very good breeding plant)

This plant was obtained from Shige by Joubert  for Hottie Human. The motherplant is currently in my possession, and two other people have suckers of this plant. It was named Hotties Hirao by Sean Chubb. Sean Chubb, and myself have been using this extensively in our breeding programmes. The pollen of this plant is very potent.

Sean bred most of his Narcotics series with this plant eg Zol, Daggakoekie, Imsangu ect. He has also produced some of the most beautifull Hirao’s with dark geen throats by using the pollen of this plant. All of these plants are high qaulity plants saught after by many collectors over the world.  Sean sees this as the best breeding Hirao.

Lious Lotter Has a series Called Holy Smoke, Holy Angel, Holy Queen, Holy Moly all bred out of Holy Smoke X Hotties Hirao. These have produced excelent results.

It has also produced very nice results with other green throats. I have for example grown Hotties Gunston X Hotties Hirao seedlings that is a good example of this.

I have made crosses with the following plants (which must still flower)

Cransley Peach to breed for Group 2 Peach Green Throats

Cransley peach interspesific which have produced 50% green stems in seedlings breeding for Green Interrspesifics. The green stems have leafs like Hirao and the unpigmented stems have leafs like the Interspesific.

Natal Yellow X Gems Golden Renaisance to breed for green throat Interspesfics. Here I have a high percentage of green stems.

Green Throat Florit White Lips. The result of this I want to cross with green Throat Florit White Lips.

All types of bronzes: I have flowered results of a bronze X TK Green with lots of green and bronze.

Many other plants with green throats to breed in the second generation with.
Hotties Hirao
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Dagga Koekie

Holy Smoke

Hotties Hiao x Gunstan

And then the Famous Zol bred by Sean and also in possession  by Mr Lionel Bester

I hope you enjoy this read,thanks to Henry that took the time to write about this plant that has offspring all over the world
Have a Lovely Easter and please post your views and photos
Kind Regards
Martin

I beleive we can breed plants with Hotties Hirao with a nice flowerform, umbelcount and green throats with a high succes rate.

Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
Re: Monday Read Hotties Hirao
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 10:16:25 »
Thank you Henry !!!

Regards,
             Lionel.

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

Online Registered Member

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:05:08 »
Really enjoy the Monday reads.
Thanks Henry.

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • CliviaKaleidoscope
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 15:21:04 »
Wonderful article Henry, also caught it on Facebook. Gorgeous flowers and wonderful genetics. Thank you for writing and sharing.
web site: http://www.CliviaKaleidoscope.com
I sell Clivia seedlings to United States residences

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 17:30:40 »
Thanks for sharing. 8)

Offline Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 07:46:22 »
Thank you for the article, Henry.

I appreciate the Monday Reads.

Regards,
Mike
༺The more love you give, the more you have left.
     Love given grows; love hoarded dwindles.༻
     --Sir John Templeton

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 17:44:19 »
Maybe my question is a stupid one, and I need to clarify myself.

I was told that Hirao is mostly green with some white in some cases, whilst TK's or TKO's are yellow with strong green throats. Both fall into Group 2.

If the above info is correct (and I'm open to be convinced) then the photo of "Hottie's Hirao" as above indicates that it is rather a (very good) TK/TKO (which in no means distract from its breeding value). Please help me? Or is the photo maybe misleading? I know from personal experience how difficult it is to capture clivia colors in clivia on photos
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

• Bronze Member
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 08:09:55 »
Hirao may be yellow with strong green throat and it may be light green with strong green throat and some will be cream to white colour with strong green throat. TKO looks most of the time like a yellow to cream with green throat. I think at the moment that genes are mix between them. If you are a breeder you must value the genetic potential of all these group 2 plants. Collectors will value the fenotype more. Only what your eyes can see.

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 08:31:00 »
Hi Oosie

I absolutely appreciate the breeding potential of a plant like Hottie's Hirao. I was not questioning that. I st needed some clarity for myself. Although I have both Hirao and TKO's in my collection, I still struggle a bit to differentiate between the two. My question was therefor only to clarify things for myself
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

• Titanium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 02:38:35 »
In yearbook 7 ( Page 86 - 90) is an article written by Shige with information about TKO Yellow and Hirao.
Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 07:38:13 »
I have both Hirao and TKO's in my collection
Did you grow them from seed?

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 07:58:43 »
I still struggle a bit to differentiate between the two.
"TK yellow" was created by crossing 2 yellows with each other.

"Hirao" was created by crossing Group 2 yellow with Bronze and then crossing the F1 siblings, he then obtained the clear green flowers.

-Grow clivias graham duncan, Kirstenbosch gardening series.

It's my understanding that nowadays,people are selling Group 2 yellow X Hirao as TK's
At the end of the day,clivia names are just a marketing gimmick.

Premium Advert
Plant Expo 2017

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 20:29:51 »
Dewald, my mature Hirao and TK plants I aquired as mature plants. I have some seedlings as well grown from seed, some 1yr and some 2yr old.

IMHO a gr2 yellow crossed with a TK or Hirao, and producing a yellow flower with green throat, is just that. A yellow with green throat. My offspring from my Hirao and TK plants will, when coming into flower, will be presented as my own breeding, with Hirao and/or TK parentage. Because they will be F1 (and future generations) I doubt whether I can still claim them to be Hirao and/or TK

• Bronze Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 22:48:19 »
Hi Cobus
I did not meant that you dont value their breeding value. I just made a statement. I bought on a order a Hirao and it was yellow with green throat. I were disapointed but bought it anyway because I want to keep good relationship with the breeder. I would defnitely prefer a greener Hirao but out of experience I also know that the genes are there, to breed good Hiraos or other green throats for me. I have bred very good bronze plants out of a orange green throat. This orange gt came out of good bronze parents. At that time I could not afford good bronze plants. I bought a plant inferior in fenotype(colour orange) but I bought it for its good genes. I were lucky and it bred a good percentage beautifull bronzes. I just made a statement that a breeder value a plants family tree or genes and if he or she cant afford the best looking plant or it is just not available you will go for a little bit inferior looking plant with the same genes. Changes are good to buy a good breeder.

Premium Advert
Horti.Co.Za

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 09:01:21 »
I agree with you Oosie

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias