Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: This Mondays read, Mr Andrew Gibson I presume?  (Read 2419 times)

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
This Mondays read, Mr Andrew Gibson I presume?
« on: March 12, 2016, 11:53:14 »
Rouzell is writing a monday read on Andrew Gibson and showing results from a cross between AG and other, her AG X Cfiffon Daughters are a revelation and is stunning I saw it on her seedlist this year and wow if you have not ordered seeds of it it will be too late
Look fwd to a excellent written article and view mr Gibson with new eyes
To all those that have written about Monday Reads thanks
Some topics coming up Variegation
Pigmentation
And the name Vico as I have had a lot of people phoning me regarding the use of Vico and its registration
Please feel free to share your thoughts and what you would like as a monday read BUT dont miss Rouzell, s monday read
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
Re: This Mondays read, Mr Andrew Gibson I presume?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 22:51:35 »
Please feel free to share your thoughts and what you would like as a monday read

My suggestions are as follows:
1)Cransley Peach
2)Belgian hybrids
3)Golden Renaissance gardenii
4)Buying seeds vs buying seedlings
5)How to DIY breed your own Zol?

Kind regards,
Dewald

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • www.utopiaclivias.co.za
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2016, 16:25:26 »
The only Vico names that are registered are the original Vico yellow and Vico Gold. Many breeders have used these plants in their breeding and have produced gorgeous peaches, pinks, pastels and oranges.  They still come from Vico origin. If you belong to the Clivia society, you will get the quarterly news letters with lots of articles including one on Vico Yellows, the history, the breeding and the progeny.
As Chris stated there is also a very detailed article about Bertie`s and Bronze Green Boy as well in one of the editions.

regards
Carrie
Carrie Kruger             Don`t dream your life, live your dreams!
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183
cel: 27 833431288 
 www.utopiaclivias.co.za       Clivias, orchids, daylilies and Incas

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2016, 17:31:39 »
That is exactly why there are only Two Vico which is Vico Yellow and Vico Gold named by Dr Hirao , Sir Peter Smithers  and Mr Nakamura
Therefore any cross that is made using any colour to the Vico,s cannot be called a vico eg Vico peach,Vico Pink or any othe colour the correct and accepted norm is Vico yellow x Chubs peach if chubs peach is used
It is exactly the same as using Appoline x Chubs and calling it Appoline Pink , if a cross is good enough then register the name and use that name as most good breeders do or alternatively state the cross if it is not a Secrect
Victor is very strict on the name Victorian peach and now I know why
The term Vico is also used very loosely as there are but a few Vico original Vico in the country of which Chris Du plessis and Sean has plus one or two more
A vico shape yellow with recurved petals are not Vico
Maybe the breeders should start getting rid of misinformation and use proper and right terminology to sell there products
This is my private take but I have .had numerous complaints from varous people regarding the misuse of the name Vico and hopefully we can make newbies aware of the right terminology for such crosses and hopefully clear up a lot of confusion
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2016, 18:02:40 »
I am sorry but I have to disagree . You are treading on many toes here and some big breeders too.  So I will make my point clear. There are no restrictions to what any breeder decides to call his or her cross. Other than registered names that have been registered.
If registering a plant was not such a big mission, I would have registered many of my plants by now. But it still does not mean if a plant is not registered, it cannot be named.
I have line bred certain clivias for the last 20 years, and nobody has ever told me that I cannot name my breeding.

For example, there are many Chubbs Peach crosses called Chubbs Green and Chubbs Caramel, I don`t see anything wrong with that. If a breeder line bred a plant out of a certain plant surely he can use the breeding of that plant in the name.
Who exactly decides on who has the right to name their breeding, not you I am sure.

regards
Carrie
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 18:30:52 »
Maybe you should try to contact the Clivia Reistrar it is on the internet all you do is complete a form and they register i,t easy to do after breeding for twenty years it should be old hat for you
I can name plenty good breeders that use the correct terminology regarding there Vico crosses BTW do you even know why it is called Vico ? A quick internet search will reveal why they are called Vico
I dont proclaim to prescibe to you what to name your plants if you think naming it Vico Pink so that you can sell your plants by using the Vico name well........
As far as chubs is concerned Sean calls his plants Chubs and if you line breed Chubs yes by all means use the Chubs name as Sean has bred many different plants btw his surname is chubs that is why he calls it Chubs and if you look at his seedlist you will see his descriptions I dont think there are more respected and knowledgeable breeders than Sean
You can disagree as much as you like that is your right go for it
I just wonder why one of the greatest breeders the world has ever seen mr Nakamura has not bought out a Vico Pink mmm makes you think
So name your plants what you will if it makes you happy I am glad
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 18:35:03 »
I have stated my point and will not longer continue with this topic.

regards
Carrie
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183

Offline Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 18:48:20 »
Members not involved in the "discussion" between the current 2 members please refrain from inflaming this post.

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 19:08:39 »
I respect your point as I also hope you see my point of view we have the right to disagree and I am sure there are a lot of people that will diagree with both our viewpoints and a debate on this will bring up different view points which I am sure will be discussed for long
Btw The Vico name comes from the estate Sir Peter Smithers resided on, something I only picked up today
Have a lovely evening
Martin

Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 19:40:18 »
Eddie, I respect your request. Can I make two points? I think clivia breeders, be it the Society, clubs or members need to tackle this point about naming or registering of plants. At the moment there is so much uncertainty and it is not good. The second point I want to make, just as an ordinary member of this forum, if things become personal or if it is only between two members, please respect other members and take it off line.
Chris

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2016, 02:29:41 »
It sometimes can be a challenge in typing words on-screen, especially when an idea is strongly held, to avoid sounding more prickly than one intends. It lacks the human voice, smiles, winks, and other body language that so readily convey friendly debate and good-humored sparring. In any case, Carrie and Martin's opinions are very insightful and give much to think on. I appreciate them both.

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2016, 11:57:16 »
Can somebody please advise me what the correct pronunciation of "Vico" is?  V'ee'co or V'eye'co?

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2016, 12:42:15 »
Andries I have only heard it V'eye'co.

Chris

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 20:10:52 »
Agree with Chris on this one.

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 20:33:33 »
Please feel free to share your thoughts and what you would like as a monday read

My suggestions are as follows:
1)Cransley Peach
2)Belgian hybrids
3)Golden Renaissance gardenii
4)Buying seeds vs buying seedlings
5)How to DIY breed your own Zol?

Kind regards,
6)Seed buying strategies.
7)Is it worth buying well known offsets?
8)Preparing your plant for its first show.
9) Information on Painted face.

Kind regards,
Dewald

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven