Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Monday Read And you thought you have seen everything from Tipperary  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
From the King of Tipperary do not miss tomorows Monday read

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Enjoy the teaser
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Re: Monday Read And you thought you have seen everything from Tipperary
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 06:46:18 »

Martin thanks for your wonderfull effort to keep the forum live interesting and informetive to new breeders and clivia growers
The history of Tipperary peaches are well documented by different  informed people. I would like to clear some myths regarding the breeding thereoff. This is MY experience and other breeders may have found it totally different
Myth 1
Tipperary and Cameron peahes differ!

Seed  was imported from Belguim and Spain by the three co owners of the Tipperary farm just outside of Nelspruit SouthAfrica and planted in the same growing bed.Dr Cameron Mc Oney spotted the first peach flower when the plants started flowering. When the late Mike Christie left the farm to settle in the Cape province ,he took his share of peaches with and as a token of recognition named them Comeron peaches. In my opinion it is a big myth to try and distinguish between Cameron and Tipperary peaches.Same seed, same growing area.There are NO differences in plant growth ,leaves , flower colour and breeding patterns.Show me any Cameron peach and I will show you the same plant charactiristc in my huge Tipperary peach collection!
Myth 2
Tipperary peaches falls in group 2!

No Tipperary's and the European peaches falls into its own "group".
Because of the "bleeding "(leaching) breeders tend to confuse it with group 2 yellow,peach and greens. Crossing between these groups will only results in ORANGE flowers. Some more pastel like some green throats some dark oranges....a whole bag full of different colors..

Myth 3
TP crossed TP will always predusses greenstem seedlings!
No. It depends what was previously used in the breeding.If crossed through a few generations like mine, near 100% seedlings will be green stemmed.

Myth 4
All pigmented TP seedlings will flower orange!

In early breeding I also promoted that thought. John Handman was the first to point out  to me that that was not always true.A few might flower peach.Some very orangy ,but some "normal peach " and some even very light pink

Myth 5
When crossing TP green throat to TP green throat it would result in all green throat flowers|!

No, it's like the roll of ta dice!The outcome can not be predicted.Again it depends on what was in the breeding backgroud and which genes were dominant and whitch were resessive.Some might have prominent, permanent green throats,some lightly green throats ,some green that fades away as flower ages....and some...no green at all.Breeding only green throats from f2 and more generations, will eventually "bind" the "greengene" I have also found that breeding at first with green throats results in many pigmented seedlings
The amount of green differs (like bronse and Hirao) from year to year depending on amount of cold in the season and at what time of the year the plant is flowering.

Myth 6
There are no true MULTIPETAL flowers as yet in TP

No ! Several breeders do have FULL mp TP flowers .Again...not to say that if you buy a mp seed you will get a mp flowering plant!

Myth 7
No "true" TP interspecies flowerng plants

Yes there are some most beatiful inter spesies....very scarce at the moment. Difficult(time consuming) to breed at first...but they are out there

Myth 8
No verigated leaved plants

There are some around . Also don't always only produses verigated plants and also produses a lot of pigmented seedlings that will flower orange .It will carry the gene for peach color .Does not carry the verigated gene over in pollen.

Myth 9
All TP flowers look the same

In my opinion TP's are one of the most,  if not the most ,rewording breeding group in the clivia group. The plant are not too robust ,leaves are semi to broad leaved,the flowers...tulip,open,recurved.Petals and sepals may differ or be of the same width. The colors.....from yellow,orange ,pink ,reddish....all colors can be green faced or white or yellow or orage and in combination of all the colors!!!

TP to me is more rewarding than just a yellow,a group 1 peach or even a Hirao!! The reason.....too little veriation!!!
I have bred hirao into TP. In F1 there is nothing exciting...only the normal orange with or without green throats.!

BUT.....f2 and futher genarations.....most beautiful resuts!!!

I do predict that most of the exquisite flowers in future will come from breeding with TP and hirao.

PLEASE LORD ...LET ME LIVE LONG ENOUGH TO SEE MORE AND MORE BEAUTIFUL FLOWERS FROM YOUR CREATION!!

Thank you Chris Welgemoed for a most informative post, Taking time to educate us about Tipperary,Coming from you i know that it is facts that we can use in all our breeding with this stunning strain,i want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for working on a Sunday on this and the photos that you send It is Members like you that make this forum great
Kind Regards
Marin

Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 06:57:14 »

Tipperary x Hirao

More to follow
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 07:14:31 »

Above green face Tip
A Multi Petal

My Favourite Flower see the Bleeding
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Offline Chris Smit (Berge)

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2016, 07:16:48 »
Thank you Chris Welgemoed for sharing your personal experience of breeding with European peaches. I am a new comer in the hobby, but always maintained, like some others, that Cameron and Tipperary were the same. Thanks for clearing that up. Now we all wonder where and how the first European peaches originated from. It is interesting to note that some pigmented stems are found amongst these plants and then they still flower peach.
I hope we hear more from other breeders.
Chris

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 07:26:40 »
Some More

I will post more of these Stunning Photos as time allows
A question Do Members think we should continue with Monday reads and if so what suggestions ?
Regards
Martin
Thanks again Chris
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online DewaldC

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 08:07:56 »
One thing I have always wondered about?
Many people have reported that, some Tipperary peaches produce Group 1 yellow offspring every now and then. :P

Offline Robert van Reenen

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 08:24:04 »
Hi Martin,

A question Do Members think we should continue with Monday reads and if so what suggestions ?
Regards
Martin

The answer to your question is YES PLEASE!!!!!!!

:thanks: :welldone: :rule:
Sasolburg, Free State, South Africa

Online Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 08:32:40 »
Love the Tipp x Hirao Chris and thanks for the thread Martin ...keep it up .

Regards,
              Lionel.

Offline Carrie Kruger

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • www.utopiaclivias.co.za
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2016, 08:57:13 »
Chris your photos are amazing, thanks for letting Martin share them on the forum. One question regarding your Hirao cross, was the pod parent a green throat peach?

kind regards
Carrie
Carrie Kruger             Don`t dream your life, live your dreams!
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183
cel: 27 833431288 
 www.utopiaclivias.co.za       Clivias, orchids, daylilies and Incas

Online Mary Wise

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2016, 09:21:15 »
Thank you Chris Welgemoed for a clear and easily understood article, these gems are a most interesting section of the Peach Clivia world.  Thanks for the photos :) I am in love with the little frog. :)
In answer to your question about the Monday read Martin, a resounding YES please.  Hopefully more people will join in.  I have quite a few seedlings that should come to flower in the next year or so, cant wait to see how they turn out.
South West of Western Australia

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Offline Leisl

• Titanium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2016, 13:49:02 »
 What a great read, thank you Chris for taking the time to share this with us.  Thanks too to Martin for spurring it on.  YYYYEEEEESSSSS, please keep this going!

Chris, the result of your breeding Tipp with Hirao is outstanding!  I also love that little frog!  :love:
Leisl Brand
Somerset West, South Africa
072 222 6624
leislbrand@gmail.com

Online Chris Welgemoed.

• Bronze Member
« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2016, 17:18:45 »
Hi Dewald Ch
The first 5 years of my Tipperarie breeding I crossed Tips with yellows ... Not knowing anything about breeding . It all resulted in oranges. I sold them off as oranges.So somewhere  especially in the pastel....some very pale ...some growers could have wrongly thougt them to be peache's As they already carried the yellow gene  ,when selfd yellows coud be the result . I have bred yellow TPPs. Martin could maybe put a photo of a yellow peach with a red stripe t it onthe forum

Online Julie56

• Gold Member
    • CliviaKaleidoscope
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2016, 17:26:20 »
To your question as to whether to continue the Monday reads, PLEASE continue. I am so new to the world of Clivia and I am learning so much with this. I would like to see more of the line that you are taking. The background of these flowers so I can understand what I am buying and what not to buy. Thanks so much

Julie
web site: http://www.CliviaKaleidoscope.com
I sell Clivia seedlings to United States residences

Offline Cora de Kock

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 17:48:56 »
Thank you SO much Chris!

Another Question about TP's : Have you crossed them with Wittigs Pink and what was the outcome?

Thank you for these Monday topics Martin and thank you to all those like Chris that enrich us with their superior knowledge!

Please keep it up!

Regards
Cora

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven