Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Monday read Poormans Peach  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Monday read Poormans Peach
« on: February 22, 2016, 08:01:52 »
Poorman’s Peach
The late Nick Primich left us with two important legacies. Firstly he provided the initial thrust and impetus to start the Clivia Society, and the second is the breeding of the ‘Poorman’s Peach Clivia.
In a message to the Clivia Chat group (Yahoo) in 2001, and later published in the Clivia Club Newsletter Vol 10/1, he reported on the breeding of Poorman’s Peach: …… “Is there a better way to start a new day in a New Year, in a New Century, in a Millennium than to tell you about a new development in clivia colours.  The new development may be stretching a point a bit, but it seems I have traced the evolvement of a “peach” from its parents. My orange plant which produced a yellow from a selfing of otherwise oranges is known to me as ‘Wild Type One’. It usually appears in my documentation as ‘Type One’. It is one of the first clivias I acquired about ’86 or so. It is a smallish plant with slender leaves and a fairly open flower of a medium orange. At the time I knew little about clivias, which was just as well, for I was not impressed with this plant. It was a strong grower and usually produces an umbel of 12-18 florets.
It selfed superbly. I can clearly remember the first umbel was of 12 florets which produced 144 seeds. Now I only had a few clivias at this stage, and soon changed my mind about ‘Type 1’. In 1988 this one little seedling appeared amongst the others and Lo! It had a green base. What joy and excitement! It was a long tremendous long wait until it eventually flowered. What a disappointment. It was the most unprepossessing yellow I have seen.
It did not improve on any of it subsequent flowering. I did however, breed with it, or at least attempted to do so. Some 60+ seeds from the fist lot that was a selfing. I might add that I always selfed the first flowering of my yellows, to see if it would produce only yellows, or if  a few oranges would sneak in. Then I planted these seeds and soon had my next surprise. Everyone had a dark base. This was in 1996. I kept quite a few, slung out some real runts, and gave a few nice ones away. I still have about 20. Some of these look far lustier than their slight parent, and may possibly flower this coming season. They will of course be selfed and ‘siblinged’ etc, and perhaps even crossed back to mother if there are enough flowering. This will tell us a bit more of the information we would like to know about this interesting line of plants.
In 1995, I put some ‘Aurea’ pollen on ‘Type1’.  About 25% of the seedlings showed green bases, and I thought I had bred myself a nice little batch of yellows which were bound to be improved by the great ‘Aurea’ flower. I was growing these seedlings on in my glasshouse, and one day I picked up one of the coke bottles that I grew them in when I got another surprise. The so-called green base was showing distinct signs of pigment. A clearly pinkish-brown tone has taken over the base. So there were about 16-16 of these putative yellows. I immediately put them on a top bench so it would be easier to give them a regular examination. Over the years nearly all had darkened bases. Eventually one with a green base flowered. A Yellow! Quite a nice looking one at that. Still more surprises! I keep a lot of my own flowers on the table at the back stoep (porch to non-SA’s). I walked out on the next morning to start pollination and this flower had taken on a peach haze. It deepened over a few days.” …..
One could almost not think that the flower  nio 1 stems from this meagre beginning

Today we have a well-established Clivia cultivar that have been line bred by a number of breeders. One of the best known examples is a plant that was owned by the late Pat Gore by the name of ‘Olympia’ Image 2
The typical Poorman’s Peach flower display a peach colour that may vary from a light coloured peach to a dark shade of peach, almost a ‘Salmon’ colour or  even a ‘Watermelon’ colour. The prominent trait is that the flowers will start at a light colour but progress to a darker shade as the flower matures.
Some images of Poorman’s Peach plants are shown in attachhments

Legacy has it that Nick’s name choice was due to the fact that he was not money driven and the breeding of the first plants happened at a time when the first Chubb’s Peach offsets, then still rare, were made available at expensive prices.  A lot of opinions have been exchanged on the name choice for these plants. When I read Nick’s letter above it made me think that an appropriate name would have been the ’Millenium Peach’. Still it is a legacy fit for Nick Primich’s contribution to the Clivia Fraternity.
My thanks to Chris De Vrey for his contribution to the Monday read
I hope you enjoy this
Regards
Martin

Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online Chris de Vry

• Sponsor
  • Gold Member
    • Vrijehof Clivias
Re: Monday read Poormans Peach
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 10:04:06 »
Chris de Vry

"Our attitude determines our altitude in life."

Online Chris de Vry

• Sponsor
  • Gold Member
    • Vrijehof Clivias
Chris de Vry

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 10:24:39 »
Thanks Chris,that Multi Colour is FANTASTIC, Are you going to have seeds to sell from your plants?
Thank you so much for contributing a very well written article
Kind Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Mary Wise

• Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2016, 03:24:25 »
This is the second of my Poormans Peach seedlings to come to bloom, the photo doesn't show it well but the flower has a definite darker stripe down the centre of the petals.  It has a very neat round umbel and sent up two spikes I am pleased :) One other has flowered but I don't have photos of it as I was away from home so missed it and the other one flowered Yellow so I didn't bother with taking a photo of that.  Hopefully I will be around to see them flower again this year, there probably is a couple more hiding somewhere, so hopefully there will be a few more surprises.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
South West of Western Australia

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2016, 05:58:56 »
Mary i love this one, lovely umbel and colour,do you know which Poormans cross was this?it shows the potential of Poormans peach
I have plenty of Peach plants but no Poormans peach i will have to get some this year
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Offline Carrie Kruger

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • www.utopiaclivias.co.za
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2016, 11:19:59 »
Our Poormans peaches range from very light pink to dark salmon apricot. The f1 is a f

Kind regards
Carrie
Utopia

Carrie Kruger             Don`t dream your life, live your dreams!
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183
cel: 27 833431288 
 www.utopiaclivias.co.za       Clivias, orchids, daylilies and Incas

Online Chris Smit (Berge)

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2016, 12:19:42 »
Martin, like you, I do not have any Poorman Peaches in my collection. Can the breeders tell us how true  these peaches breed. Do they follow the same patern as other group 1 peaches like Chubb peaches?

Chris

Offline Carrie Kruger

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 12:37:01 »
Martin, like you, I do not have any Poorman Peaches in my collection. Can the breeders tell us how true  these peaches breed. Do they follow the same patern as other group 1 peaches like Chubb peaches?

Chris

Hi Chris

Group 1 compatible, green stems if crossed with each other. Light peach, to pink to dark Salmon outcomes.

hope this helps

regards
Carrie
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183

Online Mary Wise

• Titanium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 12:39:47 »
Mary i love this one, lovely umbel and colour,do you know which Poormans cross was this?it shows the potential of Poormans peach
I have plenty of Peach plants but no Poormans peach i will have to get some this year
Regards
Martin
Hi Martin the seed came from Chris de Vry as a gift along with my order in 2010 he may be able to shed some light on the background

Online Mary Wise

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 12:41:50 »
Hi Carrie, your blooms are fantastic what a wonderful variety there is.

CliviaMall

Online Chris de Vry

• Sponsor
  • Gold Member
    • Vrijehof Clivias
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 16:16:17 »
Hi Chris

I do not think that the inheritance characteristics are as simple as Carrie makes it to be, as I do not consider Poorman's Peach to be a single gene mutation such as for example a Chubb's Peach or a group 1 Yellow. I think it is a multiple gene mutation as we can see from the spread in colour that occurs with siblings. You should line breed but use best quality breeding plants carefully selected for their characteristics.

It is true that line breeding Poorman's Peach produces unpigmented seedlings especially when using >S1 to breed with, but lesser percentage unpigmented seedlings (peach) when hybridising with yellow again. The multi colour flower shown in the article stems from line breeding, but well down the strain's breeding.

Regards

Chris de Vry

Online Chris Smit (Berge)

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 20:23:28 »
Thank you Carrie and Chris for your answers. I believe my breeding efforts should be purpose driven. If Poormans Peach does not bring something special to the party and it breeds very much the same as other group 1 peaches, why then use them, unless you have an outstanding specimen to work with. There is another school of thought that some peaches are nothing more or nothing less than pastels or a very light oranges. The Poormans Peach heritage makes very interesting reading and hats off to those who bred with them and sharing the information with us. I do enjoy the colour on some of them. Perhaps there are more members who can share their results with us.

Chris

Offline Carrie Kruger

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 20:36:31 »
Hi

I have only bred Poormans peaches with each other for a pure strain. So those results were my own results. Other breeders may have some other breeding info on crosses with other plants.

regards
Carrie
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183

Offline Chris Viljoen

• Titanium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2016, 17:49:08 »
Hi Chris de Vry
What is the flower colour on the green stems when linebreed with Poormans Peach.
Pretoria ,South Africa

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart