Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: N.P.K. WHATS THAT? Monday read  (Read 1589 times)

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
N.P.K. WHATS THAT? Monday read
« on: February 15, 2016, 09:55:21 »
nts respond when fertilized depends largely on the ratio between the three elements (N-P-K). To obtain the ratio, divide all three numbers on the label by the smallest number.

Examples:

20-20-20 fertilizer has a 1-1-1 ratio
15-30-15 fertilizer has a 1-2-1 ratio
10-5-5 fertilizer has a 2-1-1 ratio
When choosing fertilizer, it is very important to check its ratio. For instance, to encourage plants to root, you need to choose a fertilizer that is higher in phosphorous than in nitrogen or potassium, i.e. one with a 1-2-1 ratio.

The following are the main fertilizer ratios used by gardeners:

Rooting: 1-2-1
Flowering and fruiting: 1-1-2, 1-2-2, 2-1-2
All-purpose: 1-1-1
Leafy growth: 2-1-1, 3-1-1
N.B.: Although natural fertilizers often have different ratios from these ones, they are no less effective.

Caution! A fertilizer containing 30% of a given element is not necessarily better than one with only 8%. You also have to consider how long the nutrients will last in the soil. Let’s look at an example:

Fertilizer containing 30% quick-release nitrogen   VS   Fertilizer containing 8% slow-release nitrogen
The nitrogen contained in this fertilizer is released quickly. The plant absorbs the amount of nitrogen it needs, but the rest is not used. There is a high risk of leaching and burning the roots.   VS   The plant absorbs small amounts of nitrogen as the fertilizer gradually breaks down. Since little is lost through leaching, most of the fertilizer can be used. There is little risk of burning the roots.
As a rule, it is better to use slow-release fertilizer. Quick-release fertilizers are used mainly to address specific problems (to pep up a weak plant, correct a deficiency, etc.) or to quickly increase yields (to encourage annuals to bloom profusely, for instance). Be careful not to overuse these fertilizers
This is the Chemical way and a good base to fertilise your plants,
I start feeding a pure Potasuim Nitrate from January in my spray program till June to Encourage the flowering
Here are some info on Foliar Fertilisation
Foliar nutrition does not replace traditional fertilizing methods. As standard practice you would always apply fertilizer to the ground below the trees.
The leaves of a tree absorb nutrients very quickly, so you can rectify problems quite fast and you can help the tree to help itself. Wise applications of the right product at the right time can be very beneficial to the plant.
In the Western Cape there are always shortages of Boron and Zinc and foliar spraying is often used to supply these elements to the plant.
Spraying a fertilizer onto the leaves of a tree allows the farmer to adjust the condition of a tree quite quickly. It doesn’t replace traditional fertilization though. The fertilization video gives a more in depth look at the soil and at the needs of the tree.
Lionel can you please write about organic Fertilisation
Lets share this topic and feel free to ask questions
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
Re: N.P.K. WHATS THAT? Monday read
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 11:41:24 »
Is it true, that you should not fertilize adult clivias before flowering time.

Offline Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 11:53:49 »
We use a Tea we produce from Worm Castings and Sea Bird Guano Martin .

This is very rich in all the Macro and Micro elements necessary for growth and fruiting .

We will stop fertigating from the end of April to after flowering season .

Regards,
             Lionel.

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online Registered Member

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 12:06:14 »
What would the NPK of worm tea be?
I know it will depend on what they are fed, but is there a general average?

Have anybody had results with using wood fire Ash on the substrate to encourage good flowering?

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 12:14:05 »
Thank you Martin and Lionel.  Very useful and helpful information.

I grow using totally organic standards.  I've found it best to keep my organic fertilizer away from the crown area (pseudo-stem) as the fertilizer is hygroscopic and attracts and holds extra moisture which can lead to rot problems, but otherwise, I find the clivia really respond to it.

I will try your tea, Lionel.

Marius, I've started using wood ash on the medium surface, but too early to gauge results.  I believe it was Lionel that posted in the past that he uses wood ash.  Hopefully he can fill us in on this info.

Thanks,
Mike
༺The more love you give, the more you have left.
     Love given grows; love hoarded dwindles.༻
     --Sir John Templeton

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 12:36:55 »
Marius  wood  ash is stunning for flowering and i use it in my flower beds for flowering with great succes
Dewald i feed my seedlings from a few months old with two products one is Hygrofeed and the other is Nitrospray plus and i am getting fantastic growth on pm seedlings better than ever and i feed every week with these
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 15:28:15 »
Marius ...https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermicompost
Just to give you an idea, here is an example of the percentages and composition of nutrients and minerals in vermicompost:

• Organic Carbon 20.43 – 30.31 %
• Nitrogen 1.80 – 2.05 %
• Phosphorus 1.32 – 1.93 %
• Potassium 1.28 – 1.50 %
• Carbon : Nitrogen 14-15 : 1 %
• Calcium 3.0 – 4.5 %
• Magnesium 0.4 – 0.7 %
• Sodium 0.02 – 0.30 %
• Sulphur Traces to 0.40 %
• Iron 0.3 – 0.7 %
• Zinc 0.028 – 0.036 %
• Manganese Traces to 0.40 %
• Copper 0.0027 – 0.0123 %
• Boron 0.0034 – 0.0075 %
• Aluminium Traces to 0.071 %
• Cobalt, Molybdenum Present in available form

//www.bae.ncsu.edu/topic/vermicomposting/https

//www.bae.ncsu.edu/topic/vermicomposting/https
Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 16:59:20 »
Epson salts (Magnesium Sulphate) is another product I feed on a weekly basis 1 teaspoon per 5 liters of water it makes the plants to take up the varous foods and micro elements up more efficient and gives a dark green to plants also when you see a Brunfelsia that has yellow leaves feed them that as well
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 21:51:45 »
Thanks Lionel.
Just started some worms, very excited about the new journey.

We have also seem Amazing results with Epsom Salts.

Do anybody Mix their fertilisers/pesticides, or do you apply with individual sprays?
I know not to mix fungicide, but I do mix seagrow, epsom salts and pestacide with one application. We havent had bad results.

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 06:00:20 »
Hi Marius i mix everything in one application
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 21:34:40 »
Have nobody tested with electrical conductivity (EC) meter how much fertilizer you gave?
I use totally soilless media and people have adviced me to feed plants as they live in hydro.
If I have understood righ, the reason is the way how coco/pine/perlite is not able to take nutritions in and gave them further like soil does.
So I have done so, washing old fertilizers away in while and add new at every watering with three component fertilizer.
Now I'm just curious how hard you can push clivias, or is it nessessary to gave slow growing time.

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart