Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Just have to knows  (Read 3949 times)

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Just have to knows
« on: February 08, 2016, 18:28:35 »
After I received a phone call this morning from a member and discussing some topics relating to the forum I promised to post something so please bare with me I am sure or rather it should be old hat to the big breeders as this is the fundamentals of Clivia breeding and for the beginers it is something to remember, now I dont profess to know everything or have lots of shadehouses etc but what I know let us share that and discuss it
We are going to have a Monday tip day where we will ask breeders like Sean,Rouzell, liz,Lionel,  Francois and Chris Welgemoed as well as some other breeders that is on and off the forum that share there knowledge
So lets start
1 there are at least 5 different groups of Yellow clivia these are
Group 1 Appoline,Kirstenbosh, Vico yellow and Vico Supreme , Misty Moon Kevin Walter Yellows Laduma and Miss Perfect plus a host of others,Gideon has put together a  extensive list together
Group 2 These are not as common as group one and are exciting to breed with
Names include Natal Yellow,cynthia Giddy, Cynthia best,  Pats Gold a stunner plus a few others,how do you know it is a grp 2 by the following
A. They tend to bleed ie the flowers get reddish spots where they are bruised please note not all bleed most do
B, The seed pots are yellow with reddish spots on them
They are difficult to breed with but once understood magic happens , they are also compatible with Hirao and when crossed Green clivia are obtained,they are also a key to breeding good bronzes
Group 3
These are the Oribi Gorge plants they are stunning and when they turn older they become a wonderful baby pink please note that they are PIGMENTED and have red Berries There is another group three plant but I dont have much info on it
Then there are the Alpha Beta, and a few others I will get an expert on them to write a post
Some quick tips on breeding
A yellow Grp 1 x Yellow grp 2 GIVES orange
Variegation is only carried over by the pod parent and where the Variegation goes up to the seedpot those under the yellow line will be a Albino
Multipetal genes are only transferred by the POD  parent in less than 1 percent it could be carried over by the pollen parent
Akebono seeds should only be planted when the weather has warmed up here in SA it is late November to December
Seeds lose Viability after a while that they are stored
Next monday we will do peaches and there breeding
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Re: Just have to knows
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 18:30:46 »
I see Charl is also on .maybe Charl will also share some of his knowledge,please Charl
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 08:08:22 »
Martin, I think we need a month on this topic and not a week. Much have been said and documented on the topic of Yellow groups.
Still, there are a lot of uncertainties and perhaps forum members will grab this opportunity to clear at least some of it. If I look at this topic
I prefer to leave the allocation of plants to groups till last and also assume we talk about ?pure? plants. With pure plants I mean plants that have not been interbred
amongst each other.
Having said this, I would like to clear a few things about the Natal Yellow.
1.   I think we all agree the Natal Yellow is a true group 2 yellow.
2.   We know this plant bleeds, has yellow berries and red spots on the berries.
3.   Is the Natal yellow self sterile?
4.   If not self sterile, does it produce yellow seedlings, orange seedlings or both when selfed?
Preferably one would like to see answers be substantiated by either quoting a source or with own experiments.
I am looking forward to learn more
Chris

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 09:21:09 »
Hi Chris i agree with your post the idea is to have a topic every monday where different breeders can post on the monday thread as recommended i think there are so many ideas out there that can be shared by big breeders i know there are some that refuse to give inputs but there are many more that will
I believe that if we can get interesting post that we will refresh the forum and get rid of this idea that people are to scared to post because they will be critique that is utter rubbish i get breeders phoning me saying that the forum is dying, these same people dont post and if people will post and ask questions than we will again have many post
New members that contribute like Cobus brings in some new ideas and post BTW Cobus please post a photo of Mojito it is stunning
Last night i did not list all the people that can contribute like Rouzell etc and many more so breeders expect a nagging phone call from me

We can make this the best forum in the world ,it carries so many info that it is a goldmine of Knowledge
Regards
Martin

Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 10:29:38 »
In light of what you said Martin,
I will put all fear of sounding ignorant aside, and jump in.
 :woohoo:
May I ask.
If a group1 yellow is selfed, would that be the same as a group1xgroup1 or does it have a different effect??

Is broadleaf also only carried over by the pod parent?

What can you expect with Group1 yellowxPastel?
Lionel has Mentioned in another post that group1 yellows have prooven themselfes when crossed with Paste, searched to try and figure it out, should have asked there but didnt :zzz:
Think this is a great Idea btw. Thank Martin!

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 12:55:53 »
Hi Marius thanks feel free anytime to jump in you will see that i started phoning and Henry from Cocreative Clivia has stated posting and he has stunning stuff to sell so please visit his site
Marius GRP1 X GRP 1 gives yellows that is why they are so popular they breed true and you can cross them with Chubs and get Stunning peach plants from that i have seen some Vico x Chubs that gives stunning plants some of my best is from Chubs
Grp 1 Yellow x Pastel will give a range of pastel from very light to dark pastel if the pastel has got yellow genes in its breeding it will give yellows as well as most pastels will have some yellow in there  background
Leave width is carried over by the pod parent thus if you want broad leaves use Daruma the same with Variegation
Lionel and Henry has got stunning  Yellow Broadleaves
 daruma they are stunning i am going to use my best Chubs peach on some of my Yellow broadleaves to get peach broadleaves
Please feel free anytime to ask there are a lot of breeders here that will answer
I spoke to Pikkie and he will post some info on breeding green throats and also what he does to seeds before he sells them to see there breeding i know Liz also does it,it is a vital thing to do before you sell but lets not spoil it Pikkie said he will post on the subject
Now i have to phone some more breeders to get them to share tips and hints
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 13:03:53 »
It's impossible for a mutation to produce normal offspring when selfed. 8)

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 13:59:18 »
Thanks for sharing Dewald
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 19:31:57 »
Dewald, I am not sure what you mean by 'normal'. Can you perhaps explain.

Chris

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2016, 19:35:42 »
Dewald, I am not sure what you mean by 'normal'. Can you perhaps explain.

Chris
Basically its impossible for a Group 2 yellow to produce orange offspring when selfed. :)

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2016, 20:26:52 »
Dewald, I would like to agree with you, but, there is a school of thought that a Natal Yellow, when selfed, gives orange offspring.
I would like to call on members with firsthand experience to tell us what the truth is. You see, I can say that those people who experienced orange seedlings through selfing have not worked with the 'original' Natal Yellow or because their plant is self sterile, it was 'pollinated' by the bees or the wind. This, however, is speculation as I have not done the tests myself.
Where are the experienced breeders?
Chris

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 21:15:43 »
If this is going to be an "Every Monday" thing, I think it would be better to just discuss one topic at a time.  Like now, discuss the yellows and their Groupings or plainly just discuss about Natal Yellow?  Next Monday discuss about Variegation.  Then another Monday discuss about Multipetal and so on.  Just a suggestion...
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 21:24:31 »
Great idea, Maria. How about starting a "Natal Yellow breeding" thread, posing several questions I'd also love to learn the answers to:
- What does a Natal Yellow x self produce?
- What has Natal Yellow been bred with, and what were the results?
- What notable plants have Natal Yellow in their background? (Please post photos!)

This type of Question of the Week format would certainly keep me coming back to check the latest answers. And we wouldn't have to limit it to just one a week....

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2016, 07:19:06 »
Hi Maria that is exactly what we are going to do thanks for your input,Mark will get answers for you,the idea is to get people to come and see what the topic is and hopefully we can get more breeders to share
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Offline Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2016, 09:50:37 »
I've been off Forum for a few days, and maybe a little late on this, but I want to say  -- Thank you, Martin! for your idea(s).  I think it is a great idea, and it obviously has already generated interest and activity.  Also, thank you for the info in your first post.  It upgrades/adds to the list in Groups from the original Yellow Groups post.

BTW - just some feedback about the Forum I've been meaning to give for some time - it is such a well organized, easy to use, informative, diverse, inclusive, and all-around pleasurable to use, user friendly website.  So a big thanks and kudos to all involved.  I'm not sure, but I think Gideon is responsible for setting it up, and keeping it ongoing.   :clap:   Please up date/correct me on this info.

Looking forward to reading many posts on the 'Monday' subject, along with all the other subjects.  It is up to us members to keep the Forum lively, informative, and current.  What would we do without it!?!

Best regards,
Mike
༺The more love you give, the more you have left.
     Love given grows; love hoarded dwindles.༻
     --Sir John Templeton

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart