CliviaMall

Author Topic: MIRABILIS........slower than a wet week!!!!!!  (Read 12479 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
MIRABILIS........slower than a wet week!!!!!!
« on: January 03, 2008, 00:38:32 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

3 " TUBE

16 survived out of either50 or 100 can`t remember, they seem to like it on the dry side. Had more success with the Robusta seed, one year old and growing like weeds. Are many growers adding Robusta genes to their Miniata breed programs???.......I`m going to........at this rate they are going to flower in 3 years.....................Humus...........Aussies 6 for 134 then the Andrew Symonds show, 7 for 376 at stumps.........GO YOU GOOD THING!!!!
Hugh Williams
Buxus & Hedges
production nurseries
South Australia....

CliviaMall

• Titanium Member
Re: MIRABILIS........slower than a wet week!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:00:56 »
Well, they look healthy, and with the moss growing would indicate the acidity is good. However, the mix looks dense, and may be too wet for optimal mirabilis root growth. What say the experts?

Of course, I have a favorite, the one you're feeding the mini-chocolate chip cookies! ;) It seems to be getting fat!

peace,
paul michael
Brooklyn, NYC USA
'...but what do I know?'
vrede,
paul michael
Brooklyn, NYC USA

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Family, Parrots, Clivias, Orchids and Motorcycles
    • My websites
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 08:39:09 »
They look great, how old are they?
Gideon Scheepers
www.cliviaforum.co.za
083 233 5144 
**** please note new number

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Titanium Member
  • Interests in Clivias & growing plants from seeds
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 10:12:03 »
very nice Hugh...  The photo in the middle, it looks quite different then other clivias.
Cheers
George...

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 17:08:29 »

Humus they look like pure nobilis to me, where did you get them?

Maybe Gerhard Faber can tell us what he thinks about them, he has had more experience at growing mirabilis than me, but my mirabilis seedlings are most definitely very different.

• Administrator
  • Diamond Member
  • Family, Parrots, Clivias, Orchids and Motorcycles
    • My websites
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 18:14:49 »

Humus they look like pure nobilis to me, where did you get them?

Maybe Gerhard Faber can tell us what he thinks about them, he has had more experience at growing mirabilis than me, but my mirabilis seedlings are most definitely very different.

They are different to mine too, mine are more slender
Gideon Scheepers
www.cliviaforum.co.za
083 233 5144 
**** please note new number

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 14:37:51 »
hi hUMUS I HAVE DONE CROSSINGS USING ROBUSTA YOU WOULD NOT BELEIVE THE DIFFERENCE THE PLANTS SEEM TO BE ON STEROIDS I CROSSEDE MPS WITH ROBUSTA SOME FLOWERING IN LESS THAN 3 YEARS FLOWERS NOT TO WONDERFUL LETS SEE THE OFFSPRING BUT THEY DO GROW FAST YES ANDREW SAVED YOUR SKINS AGAIN WONDERFULL PLAYER WE LOST THE 1ST TEST TO THE WEST INDIES (rated 7th in the world) WON THE 2ND TEST
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2008, 07:28:34 »
Have someone been able to solve this mystery?  Nobilis or Mirabilis?

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
  • Life is great!
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2008, 17:51:07 »
George, I tried to stay out of this one because in another thread Humus name the source where he got them from. Well here we go...
My money is on Nobilis because I have never seen Mirabilis seedlings with such broad leaves. Morphologically they also 100% resemble Nobilis and do not look like my seedlings.
If it is Mirabilis then Humus must hold on to them for dear life because it will be fantastic broad and short leaf Mirabilis plants.
The median stripe confuses a bit but then I have a couple of Nobilis seedlings with the same striation.
I am surely confused........Who knows?????
Clivia Couture...Designing The Future
Registered Flora Grower: No AAA005-00309-0042
Licenced Seller of Protected Flora: No 0051-AAA005-01083    
54 Arbour Rd    +27 44 8741325
George, 6529   +27 834120011
South Africa     gfaber@mweb.co.za

• Titanium Member
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2008, 00:01:03 »
Time plays tricks on the mind, these are the only seeds I haven`t kept notes on.I bought them as part of a larger order to Australia.Ken Smith may be able to shed some light on the mystery, If I remember he sowed some directly into his garden?!?...........Humus
Hugh Williams
Buxus & Hedges
production nurseries
South Australia....

• Titanium Member
  • Interests in Clivias & growing plants from seeds
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2008, 04:31:50 »
I remember Ken saying something like there where eaten by mice or so....
Cheers
George...

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

• Titanium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2008, 05:11:20 »
DARN MEESES!

I commented elsewhere on 'mirabilis' with notched tips, asking about the degree of variation within the species. I was trying to keep out of this too! The median stripe sure looks like my mirabilis, but the form sure looks like my nobilis...

peace,
paul michael
Brooklyn, NYC USA
'...but what do I know?'
vrede,
paul michael
Brooklyn, NYC USA

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2008, 06:23:56 »
Don't know what the turn around time for blooming mirabilis from seed is, but we've a wait till 2014 if they turn out to be nobilis and from what I've seen that's what they look like, but Ive seen too little of mirabilis to know the degree of variation in the species. My guess is that the mirabilis seeds being released come from a limited number of plants and hence would be very similar in appearance and not reflect the degree of variation of the wild population. As I recall very few seedlings have been noted in the wild. Gerhard, do you have seedlings from that monster mirabilis you once posted? If so, how do they compare? And another comment has alerted me to another way of telling - nobilis can form offsets in the juvenile plants long before they bloom while it now seems that mirabilis are tardy off-setters. So ... if they start offsets, they're either even more remarkable mirabilis or normal nobilis. Keep us posted.

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Titanium Member
    • American Clivia Society
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 11:27:58 »
My mirabillis differ and have very narrow long leaves with a light stripe down the center.
Jim Black
Owasso, Oklahoma, USA

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 14:19:31 »
Humus,

Herewith a photo of some of my nobilis seedlings (18 months old). To me your photos looks much like mine ( Median stripe and notching on some leave tips) but I must be honest in that I have no idea what a mirabilis seedling looks like!

How old were your seedlings when photographed? I do not water mine as regular as the other seedlings as my logic tells me if they "grow so slow, they must eat so little" (Kentucky?, no! anyway you know what I mean!  :poke:

Ernst

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart