Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Compact Yellow Breeding  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Gold Member
Compact Yellow Breeding
« on: December 28, 2015, 18:59:48 »
The breeding of Compact and broad leaf yellows always seem to generate a lot of discussion. We look at the really good Chinese material with admiration and a sincere wish to also have some of those presented in our possession. Trying to breed them using only your local available material is indeed a challenge. Here are some of my results after 7 years of applying observations and theory. These are all Gr1 Yellow
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The above is a 5 year old green stemmed seedling that should flower.  Best Leaf 6.8 cm x 22cm Hopefully it flowers in 2016 and can then be used further.

The offset that is now developing on the above plant really gave me the idea that results could improve in future. The first leaf on the offset is now 4cm x 9 cm and the dimensions can still change.

This was a yellow that flowered last year with best leaf now 7.1cm x 37cm
The pattern or "blokkies" is good for a yellow flowering plant. 
Best regards
Piet Theron

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
Re: Compact Yellow Breeding
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 20:06:42 »
Well done Piet, you have already moved a long way from the narrow leaf yellows that were the norm a few years ago. The "blokkies" on the leafs are impressive. I can just applaud you for your effort.

Andre du Toit

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
    • Wu Jin's clivia page
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 02:43:36 »
Very good job Piet! I suggest that if you can find Henglan pollen on these plants, you will be able to produce really compact group 1 yellow seedlings within another 7 years.

Wu Jin

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 03:03:15 »
Piet,

:bday:

After having read your interesting post, I am compelled to post to congratulate you on achieving a very solid result so far.

You are to be commended for pursuing a very 'progressive' breeding program. It seems to me that you have modeled your hybridization program similar to those of other top successful clivia breeders in the world. It is so nice to see top breeders such as yourself taking advantage of the public information that are widely available out there; to methodically shift through the arcane matters, in order to produce this outstanding result at this very moment.  You would agree that breeding is not rocket science, just a lot of hard work, researching the info and maybe some luck?

It is very exciting to see that you have mentioned your plants are compatible to group 1 breeding.  In just a very short period of time, the clivia world is going to see some very desirable Group 1 Yellows.  Imagine a BROAD LEAF GROUP 1 YELLOW with a full umbel of large flowers with dark green throat.  There are others that are working on similar goals.  I have attached a few pictures in your thread for comparison's sake.  The last picture is a 'split.'  The clivia world is full of possibilities, isn't it?

Would you be so kind to let me know if you have seeds for sale please.  We can discuss in more detail the next time you are in California.  In the mean time, we are wasting daylight, time to get back to the lab to work on this broad leaf yellow plant.

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:25:01 »
Bragging rights Dr Piet it is a field where there is so much scope and I believe that you will breed  grp 1 yellows that are devine,thanks for sharing
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 11:16:37 »
Very good Dr Piet .... and thanks for sharing .
Regards,
             Lionel.

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 12:05:47 »
Thank you all for answering and the comments made

Andre
Luckily I see you from time to time and you have observed the progress, slow as it may be

LT
Initially most efforts were concentrated on the leaves but coming to realise that the breeding of the leaves alone would extend the process to better flowers, I am trying to simultaneously breed for a better umbel.
Good Gr1 Green throats have always been scarce and remain so.
The really wide leaf yellow will always be admired and sought after, but the good structure and presentation may have more appeal

Martin
Thank you for the confidence shown, I will try my best

Lionel
You have such a wide selection but always show appreciation for something different

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 12:18:51 »
As an example of trying to breed the better flower and umbel at the same time as the leaves my plant 32 is shown here
It was the seed parent. It is an Orange split yelloow

The 3 year 3 month old seedling with green stem gr1 shown here has leaf dimensions of 6.8cm x 36cm

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 14:49:03 »
Piet,

I am in agreement with your comment.  This plant has a lot of potential!  We do not have a perfect clivia out there yet, your plant is on that path.  Of course with careful selection and compatibility, I am confident you will have something very nice in the next generation, a very short period of time.

I see very desirable traits in your plant!  Frankly, my Chinese plants, including WDC plants can be troublesome in my growing environment.  There are superior Japanese / South African genetic materials.  We have members in our club that have worked hard to focus on the TRIPLE Fs: Form, Foliage and Flowers.  It seems you might be 2/3 of the way there already.

Again we applaud you for leading the way forward to a better clivia. 

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias