CliviaMall

Author Topic: Berties Bronze/Bronze Green boy  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Registered Member

Berties Bronze/Bronze Green boy
« on: June 06, 2015, 11:37:16 »
Hi everyone just want to know whats the defference between bertie bronze and bronze green boy because they looks the same
to me if anyone knows thanks

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Re: Berties Bronze/Bronze Green boy
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 14:05:40 »
JJ Kragstasie Welcome and thanks for your post Please fix your name on your profile
It seems that out of 100 members all are too busy too answer you The plants look similar but are from different breeders i  prefer Bronze Green Boy as i find the green to be deeper but saying that it is not as fertile as Berties bronze.However both are outstanding and you can pick up Berties F1 seedlings for a few hundred rand while BGB cost around R10000.00
Another stunning bronze is Crown Prince in my view it is just as good as it gets it is worthwhile investing in it as they are cheaper and maybe just as good
Oom Lionel has bred some super F1 Crosses on his webpage as have others so have a look
jmho
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 14:29:17 »
Ok I will give my tuppence worth .
I think no one knows for sure .
Celia and others have told me they are the same thing and other have said not .

I have never heard any concrete evidence supporting this claim .
There are stories that they were both or either bred by Dr. Bing Wiese but no evidence .
So it is all speculation IMHO .
I have heard rumours of superior offspring having been bred from Berties Bronze and Bronze Green Boy but have never seen
anything come close . But my " clivia world " is very small .

Regards,
             Lionel.

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

• Inactive
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2015, 14:40:12 »
Oh!, come on Lionel, give yourself more credit than that - you deserve it.

Martin's right about the prices but .......I newbie and all, cannot tell the difference but heaven forbid, I wonder how many people are now going to sell the BB's as BGB's. Sorry, I am being honest, but that could happen - couldn't it - perhaps I am playing Devil's advocate. 

Kind Regards

Neville

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 15:43:09 »
That is stunning Lionel The story i heard was that a louis saw the plant BGB in a neighbour yard and bought it there is also a story that Bertieas bronze was not bred by Bertie that he just named it
Lionel wish my Clivia world was as big as yours
Pity the experts that was involved in the controversity re BGB sometime last year does not post there intimate knowledge of BGB
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 17:09:52 »
Absolutely stunning Lionel.
Altha

Online Registered Member

• Wat klaar is is klaar-what is finished is finished
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2015, 19:28:35 »
This was a Bz F1 x Bz F1 seedling I bought from Lionel.  It was a first flower in 20124.  As always ver very difficult to capture the true colour but I do think that we might see more of this one in future.
Look even the filaments are green!

I agree with Neville..Lionel, give yourself more credit- you deserve it.

This photo is the closest to the real colour:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

• Inactive
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2015, 19:40:00 »
Hello Karel, that is stunning too. You have looked after the plant so well. The colouring of even the filaments, the petals, is just perfect.

Well done and keep it going.

Regards

Neville

• Gold Member
    • Cliviamart
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 08:43:13 »
Hi guys

We were lucky enough to have both plants flower for us last year so I could compare them next to each other. Bronze Greenboy seemed to be a little bit darker in colour on the flower while Berties Bronze seems to have a slightly broader leaf (in our growing conditions - both plants have been with us for 3 years plus) I would say however that if you didn't know they were different plants you would be forgiven for thinking they were the same.

Below are pictures of Berties Bronze along with an F2 Berties Bronze seedling we kept. Also a picture of Bronze Greenboy and an F1 Bronze Greenboy seedling we are working with. The colour on these plants is exceptionally hard to capture correctly.

Both plants produce very little pollen and are hard work to polinate.

Interesting little bit of information we have picked up from different growers - it seems that Berties Bronze regularly throws keeled petalled seedlings. We have not seen many Bronze Greenboy seedlings so cannot comment on them.

Berties Bronze

Berties bronze F2

Bronze Greenboy

Bronze Greenboy F1

All the best
Pieter

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2015, 09:00:23 »
Thanks for sharing they are both stunning plants and a must in any collectio
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2015, 13:40:36 »
Thanks everyone for all your comments and pictures very hapy for that and yes im still young in the clivia world and need all the help I can get my father past  away and left me with a Charls green to begin with and work with also a difficult plant to breed with but got it right last year thirst 6SEEDS ALMOST REDY for harvest thanks again
JJ vd Heever

• Inactive
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2015, 16:07:00 »
Welcome to the forum JJ, hope you enjoy it like we all do. As a matter of fact you have one of the most valuable of all Clivia's. Go to auctions, select classifieds,  and see under the most viewed.

You will be pleasantly surprised to see what's on top.

Kind regards

Neville

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2015, 20:08:29 »
The story behind `Bronze Green Boy' as told by Ian Vermaak himself who discovered the plant flowering in a garden - as published in Clivia Society Newsletter Vol 12 No 4 Summer 2003

"In September 1998 my wife Geraldine and I were walking our dog and passed a home where a number of clivias were flowering in the garden. We were looking over the fence admiring them and were invited in by the owners, Mr. & Mrs. Hannes Slabbert. They were not overly keen clivia growers but enjoyed the display of orange clivia in their garden. While looking at the clivias we spotted one with an unusual brickish colour. Hannes told us that he had bought three orange Clivias at a nursery in Johannesburg before moving down to George and one of them turned out to be the clivia with the unusually dark colour.

We were offered a shoot, whereupon I took the smallest shoot, and suggested that Hannes place the rest of the plant in a pot in his atrium. This he did, and I promised to give him a shoot of my Red `Geraldine'. I did not realise the potential of the plant we were dealing with at the time.  After our introduction to Hannes he became interested in clivias and paid a visit to Hennie Koch to purchase a few plants. Hennie went
out to the house and saw the potential of the plant. In exchange for a larger shoot Hennie gave Hannes some of his good plants. Hennie then sold this plant for R6 000 while he was in Johannesburg.

During September 2000 the shoot I had taken in 1998 flowered for the first time, and I took it down to Cape Town for their show. This set the cat amongst the pigeons. It was a hit from the time it was first seen. On my return to George I had a phone call from Louis Swanepoel offering me R3000 for the plant, but it was not for sale. At the same time I gave him details of where I had obtained the plant. He contacted Hannes and exchanged a number of his good plants for a very large shoot. I received a phone call from Louis to decide on a name for the plant. I was keen to name it `Chardenay' but after discussion with
Hannes and Louis the more descriptive name of `Bronze Green Boy' was given. The shoot shown by Louis won the `Best on Show' at the Championship Show in Pietermaritzburg in 2002. I believe an offer of R25000 was turned down. Louis has arranged to have a portrait of this show winner painted. Thus the demand and value of `Bronze Green Boy' was established. The plant that Hannes kept had a problem but sent up four shoots to counter the problem, as we all know clivias do. Hennie sold the four shoots to different growers at R10 000 each. `Bronze Green Boy' is a plant deserving of all the praise that it gets. The plant that Geraldine and I have, won the `Best on Show' at the Port Elizabeth show this year."

Regards
Sophia

Don't wait for someone to bring you flowers. Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul.
Wellington
buffie@cybersmart.co.za

• Titanium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2015, 20:27:36 »
Bertie's Bronze I was told was bred by Dr. Bing Wiese, sold on to Joe van der Westhuizen as a seedling where it flowered for the first time, Oom Bertie bought the collection of van der Westhuizen after he passed away. Oom Bertie waited very long for his plant to make its first offset.

Both plants are very similar but there is no evidence that could link them

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart