Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Shadehouse advice please  (Read 802 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Bronze Member
Shadehouse advice please
« on: May 03, 2015, 21:25:52 »
Hi all,

Im building a roof for my clivia with those green treated wood poles, about 5 cm thick droppers.  How tight should a pack them on the roof to get say 80% shadened equvalent?  How wide should I space them? Would that be 80% of the roof area covered, would that be 8 meter covered by droppers per 10 meter distance? How should I think about a dropper shade system? Should I cover the droppers with a shadenet?

Greetings/groete
Charl Coetzee in
Port Elizabath.

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
Re: Shadehouse advice please
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 08:57:41 »
Hi Charl

Slightly different shade factor using wooden droppers. If you use only 80% shade cloth then the shade will be 80% no matter what angle the sun is shining on the shade house be it morning, midday or afternoon. Using the droppers the shade will only be 80% when the sun is vertical to the shade house. In the morning and afternoon the angle of the sun will increase the amount of shade cast by the droppers.

Hope that makes sense.  :D

Regards
Grant

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:19:04 »
Charl,

I am not sure if I can help you, but I am playing with the same idea. I want to use reeds (spaansriet) which is about 2cm wide. The trick is to come up with the correct spaces in between these reeds and then, Grant has got a point and that is, which way to put up these reeds. The idea is that the sun coming through the spaces between the reeds must not be on the leaves for too long. Charl, I think our ideas will copy nature better than shade net as if you can come up with the correct spaces and best angle, it will be the closest compared to broken shade under the trees. Your plants will get sun and shade.

Once I have done my experiments I will let you know.

Chris

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
    • Dragonfly Clivia
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:32:51 »
Good Day Charl

I'm no expert but in theory 80% shade cloth blocks 80% of the sunlight so spacing
your 5cm thick droppers 1cm apart should only allow 20% of the available light to
enter your greenhouse.

The best way to avoid sunlight being focused on the leaves for too long would be to
have your droppers lain North - South so when the sun passes over your greenhouse
the shadows move in a West - East thereby minimizing the possibility of sun damage.

Just my view but I hope its been helpful.
Best Regards

Quinten Snyman
071 886 3957

Polokwane, Limpopo, RSA
www.dragonflyclivia.co.za

Offline Registered Member

• Bronze Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2015, 16:22:10 »
Hallo and thankyou Grant, Chris and Quinten for your valid input, I really appreciate your time.  Lain 80 loose droppers as  an experiment with a spacing of about 2 cm, droppers side by side,  heads East/West. I will try 1 cm as well.   Quinten, sorry, I only read your suggestion of N/S afterward. OK, this is already May in South Africa, but if I stand under the droppers, I can see enough blue  daylight. But if I move sideways, a step or 2 South, I can see no light. But it is there for the plants! So Grant is right, unfortunately in summer time, when I need it least,  the sun will be  directly above at 12 o,clock.  I lightmeter will help. I dont have one.  Then I can see the difference between my current shadehouse and the new roofing. Chris, let us know please what your experience will be.  Will you treat the "Spaansriet"?  The droppers was R19 each, so it is more expensive than netting or Spaansriet. The droppers is beautiful. Any other inputs/factors to this topic? Thankyou/dankie  Charl.

(ps: I also look at policarb(onate) sheeting.
      there is different light % available
      the side ventilation must be good
      it works currently for another good clivia grower near Johannesburg
      and you can collect the rainwater from the sheeting).

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias