Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: How does an overfertilized clivia look like?  (Read 3146 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
How does an overfertilized clivia look like?
« on: March 03, 2015, 14:24:54 »
Dear All,
I would like to read some thoughts of you.

This is the picture of my red-orange blooming Clivia from April 2013:
As you can see, it had a nice umbel.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This year it is just blooming with a very few blossoms, the foliage looks very good.

I have the feeling that I have fertilized it too less. Otherwise one often reads the advice not to feed a clivia too much.

Kind regards,
Elke

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
Re: How does an overfertilized clivia look like?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 17:02:29 »
Hi Elka

From my experience as the plant gives more off-sets it will need more feeding but this could give problems to the roots when over feeding more. Over feeding will damage the roots and then the leaves get brown points. 
 What I do is, I remove the off-sets so that mother plant does not suffer as it takes a lot out of the mother plant and the plant takes strain with the extra off-sets and the flowers and leaf width suffer as well. So I remove the suckers which takes a lot out of the mother plant and you can feed normally. But I would not give it extra feeding unless you need the suckers.
Kind regards

Frits Korting

• Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2015, 20:10:35 »
Frits,
Thank you very much for your quick answer, that is very kind of you! 

I do not want to remove the offsets, as I like the plants with more than one umbel.

Over feeding will damage the roots and then the leaves get brown points.

The first part of the sentence with the damage of the roots is clear to me. Do you mean that the leaves will get a lot of brown points distributed all over the leaves? At all leaves or only at the older leaves or at the younger ones?

My problem is that I never have seen an overfertilized clivia. Perhaps some other forum member could show me a photo of such an overfertilized clivia leaf? At the internet I could not find such a picture. I always have thought that the tips of the leaf will get brown.

Kind regards,
Elke

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 02:53:00 »
What sort of fertiliser do you use Elke?

In my opinion if you use organic fertiliser the plant will be able to cope with it. I have used a high amount of sheep pellets on some of my clivia plants and they are fine. In fact they push out more offsets than normal which does affect the mother and flowers a little due to all the energy going into the offsets. I however haven't noticed any browning of leaves from doing so.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2015, 08:15:34 »
Michael,
Thank you very much for your help!

I use a liquid fertilizer (6 + 4 + 6  = N, P, K, with all trace elements) and take half of the recommended concentration with every watering from March to the end of September. In summer I water about every week or 10 or 14 days. It depends on the temperatures.

I always water in such an extent that the water comes out of the pot, so that the water can rinse existing salt. In summer my clivias are at the north side of our house. I do not use saucers in order to avoid root rotting.

I think only small offsets are depending on the mother plan. Most of the offsets of this plant have own roots. So I suppose they now do not weaken the mother plant any longer.

Kind regards,
Elke

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2015, 09:52:57 »
Elke ,
        That RED against the white background is stunning ... Thanks for sharing .
Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 16:27:55 »
It is my pleasure Elke. When the oldest leaves start browning it is fine, but when the centre leaves start browning at the point and on the edges of the leaf then that is a sure sign that the roots are damaged and the plant is showing that it is stressed.
I wish I could download pictures to show you but I just don?t get it right to down load the pictures. But try and get the off sets off as soon as possible or that is the price you pay for less and smaller flowers. It looks nice a clump of clivias which I prefer as well. But if you want better head of flowers that is the only way to go.
Kind regards
Frits

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2015, 11:58:11 »
Lionel,
Yes, I like it, too, and will try to get more blossoms in the umbel next year. It has the genetic potential, as one can see on the older photos.

Frits,
Thank you very much for your answer! What a pity that you cannot show us a photo of the damage of an over fertilized clivia.

I want to retain three offsets, as I like a plant with several umbels. I will give this plant a little bit more fertilizer, i. e. ? of the recommended concentration. Once a month I will flush the pot. Perhaps this will help to prevent the roots from rotting and to get some more flowers in the umbel.

Kind regards,
Elke

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2015, 12:13:21 »
Hello Fritz ,
                 Thank you as always for your very valuable insights and contributions .
Regards,
             Lionel.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2015, 12:18:42 »
Yes, Lionel,
Frits is always very helpful and give competent advice.

Kind regards,
Elke

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart