Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Hilton Golden Moon .  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
Hilton Golden Moon .
« on: February 16, 2015, 11:28:47 »
I was swimming late at night and the full moon was high in the night sky .
The Full Moon was soooo beautiful I was inspired to name a Yellow clivia " GOLDEN MOON " .
 Debbie thought this one was appropriate .
Dear Elke ,
                 We wish you and all our Northern Hemisphere Clivia Friends a Great flowering season !!!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Regards,
              Lionel.

CliviaMall

Offline Michael Loh

• Titanium Member
Re: Hilton Golden Moon .
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 12:12:45 »
She is gorgeous!!

Online Linda H

• Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 16:37:14 »
I have to agree. She really is gorgeous.

Linda
Albertslund, Denmark

Offline Peter Miles

• Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 18:53:50 »
This is really, a WOW flower and umbel. Magnificent, Lionel, well done!
Peter Miles
East London, South Africa
083 463 6229
petermalcommiles@gmail.com

Offline Elke

• Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 11:02:28 »
Dear Elke ,
                 We wish you and all our Northern Hemisphere Clivia Friends a Great flowering season !!!

Regards,
              Lionel.

Lionel,
Thank you very much for your kind words!

Your clivia with the braod tepals and the yellow colour is very beautiful!  :love1:

If I only had more space!

Kind regards,
Elke

Offline Cobus Roos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 10:07:05 »
Lionel, I bought some Golden Moon x Apoline seedlings from you this year. I know that seeds/seedlings cannot be guaranteed, but cannot help to be extremely excited about these seedlings, and cannot wait for them to flower in 2017/2018. If I get only ONE to be of this quality I will be more than happy. If I get more than one I will be over the moon
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Offline Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 10:16:27 »
You`re a good man Cobus ,
                                           They have a good chance of being Quality Yellows under your expert care !
Thank you also for your welcome support ... without our customers what would we do .... Thanks all .
Regards ,
              Lionel and Debbie .

Offline Cobus Roos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 10:49:17 »
Lionel, I try and avoid Hilton Clivias' website and plant/seed lists. It just tempts me. ;-) But I am not sorry for one plant/seedling I bought from you. Your crosses fill me with excitement, and I cannot wait for my other seedlings from you to reach maturity. I suspect that I am going to have some real stunners come from those seedlings, and even if they turn out to be "ordinary" I will not discard them as garden variety, as the genes captured in them might produce something special in years to come.

I think that this is something most of us forget. A good cross remains a good cross, even if the result is "ordinary". The genes of the pod and pollen parents are captured in the seedlings even though the seedling might not show the genes. Breeding with a good cross might result in something spectacular in future.

You have mentioned this in another post, but I just want to again highlight this. Seed/seedlings cannot be guaranteed by the breeder. One might be able to guarantee colour, but never the quality of the flower. Having said that I must also add that seed/seedlings has the added ingredient of excitement to grow to maturity and flowering. But if it is a guarantee you're looking for, buy offsets. I have bought quite a few offsets with specific breeding objectives in mind, but just cannot help myself in buying some "excitement" (seedlings/seed). It is one thing to buy an offset and know what you'll be getting every flowering season. It is another thing to buy seedlings/seed and (impatiently) growing them to maturity and hopefully a very pleasant surprise.

Dealing with you and Debbie has been a truly pleasant experience, and if all goes well I'll be making a trip to KZN this year and meet you in person. I can with confidence recommend Hilton Clivias to anyone who wishes to obtain quality clivias for their collection. You are good people
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Offline Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 12:16:17 »
" and even if they turn out to be "ordinary" I will not discard them as garden variety, as the genes captured in them might produce something special in years to come.

I think that this is something most of us forget. A good cross remains a good cross, even if the result is "ordinary". The genes of the pod and pollen parents are captured in the seedlings even though the seedling might not show the genes. Breeding with a good cross might result in something spectacular in future. "

I agree with you Cobus ... we know an infinitely tiny amount about the mechanics of inheritance in clivias to predict outcomes ... and my guess is that it will stay that way for a very long time .
That which we do know is very elementary , thank goodness , we have a lot to learn and to look forward to  .
All , well almost all ,  of the clivias we so admire today come from very humble beginnings .
Sir Smithers  ( of Vico Yellow fame ) described himself as a " Pollen Dabbler " I consider myself the same .

Regards,
             Lionel.

Offline Cobus Roos

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 12:23:49 »
Keep on "dabbling" my friend. I like the way you "dabble"  :good:

Offline Mike Rummerfield

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 05:30:02 »
Lionel (aka Pollen Dabber),
Golden Moon is exquisite!  A master breeder's hand shows in this, as in it does in your other crosses.  :admire:

It brings me pleasure just seeing the photo.  Thank you.

Regards,
Mike
༺The more love you give, the more you have left.
     Love given grows; love hoarded dwindles.༻
     --Sir John Templeton

CliviaMall

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven