Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Growing Seeds during our very hot Summer months .  (Read 2437 times)

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
Growing Seeds during our very hot Summer months .
« on: January 04, 2015, 15:07:00 »
It is said by some that it is risky to germinate seeds at this time of year in South Africa .
If you take care and ensure the seed is protected from excessive heat and too much rain you will be well rewarded .
As a matter of fact , this could be the ideal time to grow seeds if the seeds are monitored regularly .

Step 1 ... Prepared seedling mix of Composted Fine Pine Bark mixed with 30% Horse Poo Worm castings .
              This mix was done about a month ago and left out in the shade and rain to settle and age .

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Step 2 ...  About 30 mm of Plain Composted Fine Pine Bark is used to top up the seedling tray .

Step 3 ... a fine layer of well washed and hydrated coco peat is laid on top of the seedling mix and then the seed is layered out on top of the Coco Peat .
 P.S .I would normally use Coco Husk Chips but I have run out and wish to use the fine peat I have had in storage for a few years now .

Step 4 .... I cover the seeds with well Hydrated Coco Peat .
                 I will make sure that the Coco Peat stays moist ,this keeps the seed membrane soft so that the root tip can
emerge easily . If the seed membrane is dry , sometimes the root cannot break through and then the root rots and the seed is lost .

This seed will be germinated in a Plastic Tunnel with 50% shade , I have chosen a space near the east end of the tunnel which is sheltered from the very hot Summer sun in the morning . The temp in the tunnel can reach 45 Celc on a hot day
but by placing the trays on the floor and with the extra shade on the seeds  the temps should be a lot less .
I will monitor the seeds , about 7000 , a few times each day and put in a fan if I the temp gets too high .

This is a pic of seed germinated in July/Aug 2014 , the seedlings are thriving in the hot tunnel .

Regards,
             Lionel.

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
Re: Growing Seeds during our very hot Summer months .
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 15:32:23 »
This pic should replace the 2nd last pic , it is of the outside of the tunnel but I cannot edit the pic out .

Offline Registered Member

• Silver Member
  • I am hooked on clivias!
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2015, 18:02:05 »
Hello Lionel and Debbie,

All the best for the new year!  Some fine seedlings you have here. I  can understand why the seedlings that I buy from you are so big and healthy! Heat plays a big roll in seedling growth. But not to hot as you say! On the early stages they need lots of tender love and care!

Kind regards,

Hester.
Don't wait for it to happen, make it happen!!
Brackenfell.
Cape Town
hcorreia@yebo.co.za

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Inactive
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:25:48 »
Yeah, Hester, I can attest to that. 99% of my purchases have been from Lionel and Debbie. All their seedlings are very healthy - I have seen them first hand. Even though Lionel and Debbie dispense the largest and most healthiest of plants on a first come first served principle, it is very difficult to say which are the very best as they all seem to be of extremely high quality and best of all - they are decently priced too.

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 13:46:23 »
Wow Hester and Neville ,
                                       You are both very kind ..... The joy is ours !!!
Regards,
             Lionel and Debbie .

• Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 19:29:20 »
I noticed your labels but how do you tell the seedlings apart?  Looks good Lionel.
Leisl Brand
Somerset West, South Africa
072 222 6624
leislbrand@gmail.com

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:36:24 »
Hello Liesl ,
                 These are all Mixed MengHuan x Blushed Yellow Daruma so the labels are the same .
Writing labels has given me an excuse to watch the cricket during the last few weeks LOL
MengHuan are also Blushed Yellows , handsome smaller broad leaf plants .

The point I am trying to make in this post is that one can grow seeds in the middle of Summer as long
as one puts them in a cool place and you do not let them dry out .

I did not make it clear that there is a small tree on the east side of the tunnel that throws a shadow on
that side for the whole morning .
A good idea would also be to germinate the seedlings under staging on the floor of a shade house and to
keep the floor damp by watering the floor early morning on hot days .
Obviously , this info is " old hat " to the experienced growers , there are however newer growers that might find it helpful.
Regards,
              Lionel.

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 16:42:21 »
Thanks for the great advice. Happy Clivia growing in 2015!!!
Andre Meyer
Wilderness

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart