CliviaMall

Author Topic: Appleblossom Complex a stunning Strain  (Read 5055 times)

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Appleblossom Complex a stunning Strain
« on: June 10, 2014, 17:08:55 »
I see the forum is quiet so lets discuss a plant please i dont pretend to know all but let us share our combined knowledge on this amazing plants
There is actually only one plant of the eight plants that was called appleblossom Q2The rest appleblossom complex  discovered by SANBI at a river mouth in the former transkei now Eastern Province the plants were taken to Kirstenbosch and crossed with some lucky members getting the seeds
Apparantly they were not that popular untill the full extent of what was found became known
The habitat where they were discovered is now a walkway and the habitat destroyed by the owner so thanks to the foresight of John Winter and others it is preserved and being bred by many breeders
The first crosses mostly consisted of Group one crosses and all the seedlings flowered Orange also crossed with Chubs resulted in orange plants
Only seed was allowed to be exported in the beginging and no plants were allowed to get out of the country
They all have a q appendix this is a reference to the river it was found
There are crosses done with group two yellows but i have not heard of any results of this cross although Rudo reckons it is the way to go
Crosses with Gloria results in gloria looking flowers i had one that flowered staring off yellow with a pink tinge and becoming baby pink as it gets older
Appleblossoms selfed are true to colour and give apple blossoms coloursd they all differ with my favourite being Q2 the most yellow is Q4 and the one that suckers he most are Q6 Seeds are large like most transkei seeds and they are very slow to grow and also to Germinate as a large portion dies upon germination
The future for them is bright with Lionel saying that it could be the way to a white Clivia Stems are normally pigmented and people that breed plenty can recognise them at a distance I saw some of Chris De Vreys appleblossoms at the forum Springday and they are stunning
There are rumours that more appleblossoms types have been collected in the Area and i am sure we will see some stunning plants coming onto the market
Till then i have to hold my breath and see what the group two results will be
Is it a good Plant Yes and once its genetic secret is broken it will become a must have
Please members that can contribute to this thread please do so together we will learn more
Kind Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
Re: Appleblossom Complex a stunning Strain
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 17:37:15 »
Congrats again Martin on a good post .

Offline Chris Smit (Berge)

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 19:08:38 »
Thanks Martin, for starting this topic. Most of us know that there were 8 plants collected from the wild and that they are known as Q1 to Q8.There was a lot of excitement in the beginning and crosses of these plants fetched huge prices. Nowadays there is a lot of negativity around these plants as people say the flower shapes are old fashion and the plants are very slow. I have seen some very good Apple Blossom crossings and down in the Cape there are some very nice specimens. I am one of those that believe these plants have a bright future, just watch the space. I was lucky to obtain a collection with quite a few Apple Blossom crossings and Apple Blossom type crossings. I would  like to share with you two of these and would like to know if anyone can shed more light on some of these crossings.
The first one is a Peach Glow x Q4 Apple Blossom. I have done some searches and according to the Clivia Register, Peach Glow is a peach bred in Australia. If that was indeed the pod parent it then means, peach x Apple Blossom gives Apple Blossom (see first photo).
The second plant I got as part of this collection is a Stella Perish Apple Blossom x Two tone Ghost (see second photo). Can anybody tell me what a Stella Perish Apple Blossom is?

Chris

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Peach Glow x Q4 Apple Blossom

Stella Perish Apple Blossom x Two Tone Ghost

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 19:21:22 »
Chris I love the second photo stunning plant  I agee 100% with you watch the space they are stunning  plants  thanks for sharing
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Offline Chris de Vry

• Sponsor
  • Gold Member
    • Vrijehof Clivias
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 19:53:41 »
The Appleblossom strain is interesting. Personally the Q5 is my favorite Q plant and  Q2xQ5 and the reverse crosses appear to produce the better looking siblings. Some of my experience:
- the plants seem to have insufficient resistance to fungus and bacterial infections and rot (Erwinia?) easily.
- a high percentage of attrition is common with the germination of seed.
- improved flower count with F1 and later Fn generations.
- flower colour ranges from light cream/pink; light cream/red to pink and watermelon. Quite diverse.
- not a lot of hybridising results are known. Crosses with yellow Grp I seems to produce orange flowering siblings. Further breeding with these are unknown to me. Rudo seems to have had good results cross breeding with yellow Grp II to produce lovely pink flowering siblings that breeds true when line bred.
I think that the future with the Appleblossom strain is with improved hybridisation.
Chris de Vry

"Our attitude determines our altitude in life."

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 20:30:21 »
I hope the breeders wil again have appleblossom plants for sale at the Forum Plantmarket as this will be a oppurtunity to get hold of some as well as other stunning plants
Chris  I also wonder why there resistance to disease is so bad could it be that where they grew was no diseases that we find in our nurseries?and that they have not  build up a resistance? That is what makes a big plant more expensive
Lionel you have had some unpigmented ab did they flower ab
Crossing ab with kirstenbosch Supreme which is split for group one and two gives stunning pinks from baby ribbon to deep plnk
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Maria

• Titanium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 21:34:58 »
Wow!  Very interesting thread!!!!

QUESTIONS:

Chris (Smit) - "Peach Glow (from European Peach breeding)X AB"...Did all of the results of this cross bloom like this or were there also oranges? Is it possible that Peach Glow has AB genes (maybe an F1 Euro Peach/AB cross) in it thus that result of your clivia?

Martin - "AB/Kirstenbosch Suprme crosses"...Did all of the results of this cross bloom pink or were there also oranges?

We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

Online Diane

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 00:20:32 »
Can anyone say if some of the Appleblossom complex plants grow in a "flat" way?  I have a Aussie Nobilis x ABF1 (grown from seed) and the leaves are very flat when compared to other my other two AB crosses. With each of the AB crosses I have the AB genes come via the pollen plant. Certainly dont have any complaints about this plant, its growing well, the leaves are lovely and smooth and dark green.  I have taken steps to make sure it, and my other AB's are kept on the drier side, as I had been told about the tendency to rot issue.
Diane

Victor Harbor Fleurieu Peninsula South Australia

Offline Martin

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 07:00:42 »
Maris i am not sure i suspect that there were oranges from that cross the cross was actaully done by Rudo,s uncle Will find out for you
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Offline Chris Smit (Berge)

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 08:06:45 »
Maria, I only had two of these Peach Glow/AB seedlings in the collection. It is difficult to give a true description of the other one.
When it flowered, I discovered it very late. By that time it had a lot of rain and snail damage to it. To me it was more like a two tone
or versicolour, but then some of the flowers changed more than others as they matured. This photo was the only one I took.

Chris

Online Nick Woods

• Platinum Member
    • Yarmouth Clivia
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 08:51:04 »
Peach Glow is (also?) reported to be a name for the Q8 AB.  See Tremaine's post from 2009.
http://www.cliviaforum.co.za/forum/index.php?topic=9534.msg69072#msg69072

Chris, i love your  2nd Peach Glow/AB cross, despite the ravaged state of the umbel. I hope you will be able to post a better photo later this year!

Thanks for another really interesting thread, Martin.

Best Regards

Nick

CliviaMall

Offline Peter Miles

• Titanium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 09:36:37 »
There are a lot of rumours concerning how many Applebloosoms were taken from the habitat near the Qora River mouth. Suffice to say, it is more than 8.

The huge seeds and plants, are susceptible to fungal rot and the habitat plants, and their crosses, grow extremely slowly. As a consequence, they are not popular with growers. Were it not for their beauty and potential to produce something different when crossed with other plants, I doubt that many people would keep them in their collections. For instance, these plants have produced true pink flowers. I, personally, have not seen any other clivias that are truly pink. I should imagine it is because many of them have near white as a background, where others have yellow which affects the pink coming though strongly. Many Pretty Pinks, Chubb Peaches and Tipperary Peaches have touches of pink, but so far, I have not seen one that can be said is a true pink flower.

They did not grow along a walkway, but grew in a few almost inaccessible areas quite near to the walkway. The walkway does have other mineatas growing alongside it, and further up the river, there are many nobilis growing on the river bank. The actual Appleblossom habitat is only known to a very few people and this secret has been kept to prevent the total rape of these plants. I do not know the exact location.
Peter Miles
East London, South Africa
083 463 6229
petermalcommiles@gmail.com

Online Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 09:37:42 »
Debbie and my experience with Appleblossoms is as follows .
We have had about 35 flowering size plants in our collection since 2010 , all F1 hybrids to my knowledge .
I think all have flowered , some could be lurking " in the woods ".
3 or 4 flowered orange , can only speculate why but I am certain they have AB genes as they took very long to flower as did the true flowering plants .
We have sold many seeds and successfully grown on many F2`s with little problems .
All have been F1`s x F1`s , as Martin has said some unpigmented .
We have not flowered any of our own crosses to date but some are +12 leaf so could flower this year , I am not betting on it .
We also have AB x Miniata crosses , can`t remember exactly what the maternal plants are .

Our plants are vigorous , handsome and give no problems with rot .
No special treatments are given to the mother plants and the offspring .
They grow mixed amongst the others , but are easily recognised outside of flowering season by the
" semi spiral " growing habit of the newer centre leaves .

2013 I have taken Wang DianChun ( WDC ) yellows to some , the seeds are germinating .
We wish to see if the physical characteristics of the Chinese Broad Leaf Yellows will come through as paternal parent .
Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 09:53:17 »
The " AB x Miniata " crosses I have mentioned above  should read Miniata x AB , please excuse and I can`t " Modify ".
Regards,
               Lionel.

Online Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 11:00:26 »
Just for fun !!!
Maybe I am too soon but this seedling from this cross could be UNpigmented