Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Warning - Freezing temps in the Free State  (Read 2647 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
Warning - Freezing temps in the Free State
« on: June 07, 2014, 20:48:45 »
Since Thursday night we started to experience extreme cold temperatures here in the Free State well below 0 degrees.

Hope that you all already made sure that your plants are well covered to protect them against the frost.

I had a not so good surprise this morning when I went to the greenhouse, which I've "wrapped" basically with frost cloth, about 30+ of my plants were almost destroyed by the early morning black frost here in Sasolburg.... :'(

Just hope that this cold weather will reward us with an excellent flowering season this year.

Warm regards,

Robert
Sasolburg, Free State, South Africa

CliviaMall

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
Re: Warning - Freezing temps in the Free State
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 20:55:17 »
Robert here in Gauteng quite a lot of garden plants were hammered by the black frost. i was in Modimolle (Nylstroom) today and some people there also suffered some severe damage from black frost.

I had my first frost beginning of April (first week). I thought this was the star to the cold weather but up to Thursday we had abnormal warm winter temps. On 15/16 June is the turnaround point and winter is supposed to start heading back to summer. if winter just started now when is it going to end.

Have i upset anyone in the Cape again. (Just joking)

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

• Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 08:45:08 »
I had a not so good surprise this morning when I went to the greenhouse, which I've "wrapped" basically with frost cloth, about 30+ of my plants were almost destroyed by the early morning black frost here in Sasolburg.... :'(

That sounds like a very nasty surprise.

Here in South Australia we are experiencing somewhat of an "Indian Summer" with warmer temps than normal, currently sitting on 16C with a low 6C today , normally we could expect 3 or 4C with a top of 14C.  This week has a forecast of 20C at a top temp, most unusual.
Diane
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Victor Harbor Fleurieu Peninsula South Australia

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 08:59:04 »
Yesterday ,we had frost for the first time this year in Hilton .
It is lovely this morning with good weather predicted for the next month .
Lows of 1 to 7 Celc and highs of 17 to 20 Celc .
I am so happy with this warm weather that I have spent yesterday watering and will do so again today.
Our son visited from Norway a few weeks back and complained about the lack of snow this last season as he could not snowboard .
Fay our daughter in London says the winter was quite mild with lots of rain .
Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Andre Kruger
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 17:17:30 »
What should one do to the damaged leaves ?. I have some adults plants and seedlings that were damaged.
Andre

• Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 18:12:37 »
I leave them till they dry out and then just break it of. There is not much more that one can do, the damage is done.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 19:13:59 »
The biggest mistake would be to water them! Leave them and watch what the plants do. If rot sets in you have a problem. Leaf dry-out is what you're hoping for.

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 19:51:17 »
Eddie, why would you upset someone in the Cape or am I not the one behind the door? I do not want to spoil a goods story with facts, but winter starts turning back to summer on 21 June when it is the shortest day, at least this is how it work done in the Cape. You have a good week!

Chris

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 20:20:57 »
Chris the "upset by someone in the Cape" is just a joke that goes back a few years and was not intended on anyone. The members that made the joke will just laugh about it. It was long ago and also about a cold front.

Regarding the 21 June i sometimes make a deliberate mistake just to see if members actually read all the junk i sometimes post. I would not mind if the turnaround point was 15 May. I normally grow my hair and beard the whole winter and only goes for a haircut again in summer. This year i went last week and the barber cut just about all of it off. I am freezing.

I see the forecast for the week for us is
M 1-14
T 3-14
W 3-13
T 3-14
F 0-14
S 3-14
S 6-15

Looks like a cold week ahead.

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 20:27:21 »
Hi Robert,

The frost covers do not work for very cold temp's. I can suggest from my experience that with all-net or frost covers you also have to put an outside layer, I sometimes use these paint sheets (the ones you put on the floor to protect from painting spats) or plastic sheets or even bubble wrap, the bubble wrap works wonders, this was a tip I got from a member and I am very greatfull for that tip. Because if I did not bubble wrap my greenhouse sides this year then my plants would have been mush, I leaft 8 plants by accedent behind the greenhouse and on Saturday morning they were clearly frozen and looks bad, I wanted to plant them in my garden and now I have to waint and see how they go.

Hope your plants recover as I can see with these 8 plants of mine it looks bad.

Kind regards,
Yolandi

Yolandi Joubert

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 20:36:44 »
Yolandi, thank you for the tip. I think I need to get myself some plastic sheeting or some bubble wrap because it looks like we are in for some very cold weather this winter.

Hope your plants also recover but clivias are very robust plants and should survive this. From past experience I think that some damage sometimes is good because it then reward us with a lot of suckers to compensate for the damage to the leaves.

Kind regards,
Robert

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

• Titanium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 20:53:18 »
Pictures of some of my plants that were damaged by the severe frost we had:

Flowers just started to open

[IMG]http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q525/robertvr/Ryp%20Skade%202014/DSC_0006_zps1544042a.jpg[/IMG

• Titanium Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 00:36:05 »
Must be heartbreaking especially when you see the date on one of the pots...2006
Diane

Victor Harbor Fleurieu Peninsula South Australia

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven