Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Would you recommend this cross to a beginner ?  (Read 6015 times)

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • SecretCliviaGroup
Re: Would you recommend this cross to a beginner ?
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2016, 20:23:08 »
Simply sharing the resulting picture of a seedling and stating the source with no negative comments is totally different from a post with a purpose to "Name and Shame".
Simply create a facebook group, where people can anonymously post results. ;)

CliviaMall

Offline Registered Member

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2016, 20:32:28 »
I might be biast in my comments.

I tend to "buy in" on Lionel's crosses as I create "pictures" in my head of the possible outcome of the cross, and I definately (in most cases) like the "pictures" when looking at Lionel's crosses. So, I think in this respect I'm biat when in comes to Hilton Clivias .... in a positive way.

There are many other breeders that I feel the same about. Others the "pictures" do not connect for me. This does NOT mean that it will not work. It comes down to MY preferences, and I think this is something we all need to keep in mind. My late mother used to say that we cannot argue about tasty and beautiful, as taste differs.

As for "naming and shaming" .... when I make the conscious decision to buy seeds/seedlings from another breeder, I do so well-knowing that I am gambling. Yes, I do gamble to win, but gambling nonetheless. I proverbially toss my coins into the slot machine, and hope that Lady Luck will make it spin to a jackpot. IMHO too much emphasis is being placed on line breeding. In my 18 years experience with clivia (and I still consider myself a biginner, hence all my questions) I have seen "line bred" clivia from respected breeders turn out quite ordinary. This has not stopped me from buying seeds/seedlings. Those not fit for my collection land up in the garden and give me much enjoyment when they flower en masse, irrespective of being "ordinary". I am therefor not at all in favor of "naming and shaming". There are, dispite all measures taken by breeders to ensure the cross is true, way too many factors which could lead to "foreign" pollen finding its way to a stamens.

To answer Lionel's questions :-

1. A
2. Pastels/oranges with GT
3. No, seeds/seedlings are a gamble. If I buy I know I'm gambling. The outcome is not the breeders fault. It was my choice to take the gamble
Calling an illegal alien an undocumented immigrant is like calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmacist

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2016, 05:14:22 »
Cobus. This is a fantastic post. I am VERY green in terms of experience so me determining the outcome is very much a case of aiming at the sun in order to hit the moon. The name and shame game in this case just has way to many variables.  It could also be abused to settle personal vendettas. So in essence... keep you dirty brooks off the table. Rather deal with the parties involved directly. 
If you not dreaming. You're just sleeping.

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart