Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Would you recommend this cross to a beginner ?  (Read 5903 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
Re: Would you recommend this cross to a beginner ?
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 19:49:04 »
Chris this was also one of my reason's for saying i would not buy the cross because i think flower no 1 is "inferior" compared to flower no 2, but then i am sure i have the same breed in my collection and the photo posted does not do the flower any justice. I think my opinion would change regarding the cross if the picture of plant 1 was of the same quality as the second pic.

Sorry if this sounds rude. That is not the intention. I just think that any seller should post pic's as clear and as close as possible to the original flower.

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 19:57:23 »
Lionel plant no 1 has been used a lot if I am not mistaken it passes on the green throat to it offspring plant no two ls stunning I love it I believe this cross will amplify the green throat of the seedlings I am sure I have seen arthries jade crosses somewhere
What is your reason behind this cross?

Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2014, 02:26:33 »
We have seed ripening of this cross we did last Sept .
They are siblings and Debbie and I can see that , but look at the difference .
Were we  unaware of the common heritage of these 2 plants we would have sold the first .

A few questions for beginners .
No 1 .... What is the highest price you would be willing to pay for this seed if offered at the following prices .
                A .....  R 120 / pack of 3
                B .....  R 180/  Pack of 3
                C ....   R 300/  pack of 3
Question No 2 ... What would you expect from this cross ?
Question No 3 ... Were you to buy 3 seeds at Price A ,B or C and they flowered ordinary orange would you feel you had been " Ripped Off " and that it would be fair to " Name and Shame " the breeder ?

Regards,
             Lionel.
Lionel I cant see why this cross would result in plain orange in the first place ? As always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and personally I find the bloom in first image quite pleasing. If I was buying seed and was looking to grow green throats with the possibility of a lovely pastel even vaguely resembling  Angelica I would definitely buy it. Maybe not at a huge price but the potential is interesting.
As to "naming and shaming" I personally am not in the habit of doing so publicly, have never indulged in it  and don't agree with it, it quite spoils the general good will and generosity that this Forum has in abundance.  On the other hand seed sellers truly only need to answer emails and apologise when an obvious malfunction has occurred (as I have seen you do in the past) and the all would be forgiven.  Being ignored is not good PR and in this age of instant communication isn't a very good move.
South West of Western Australia

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2014, 09:08:02 »
Thanks everyone ,
                            This is not the first year I have done this cross and kept the seeds to grow on .
We gave a few away to some of our customers last year ,I wanted to give something as a free bee that was
special to me .
F1`s of this cross should start flowering 2015 or 2016 .
I am going this route , as the pod parent in this cross looks very similar to Atrie Wessels Green throat , the pollen parent for  Angelica .
So the green throat is dominant  even as pollen donor .
I am sure the lighter shades and shape of petals in Angelica will also come through , even if I must continue to F5,F6 and further .
I see the possibility of the green being reinforced and maybe a Green Throated Pink Picottee coming through on big round re flexed petals.
 Both of these plants have Green infusing the inner and outer part of the petals ,a sure sign of dominance IMO.
Possibly , if I had written all of this onto a seed list , I could encourage others to join me in this adventure .
It is good to bear in mind that many show bench quality plants  come from humble beginnings .

Debbie and I are well aware of  the value of our customers for our  future business success.
We will endeavor to bring the best we have to the Clivia sales table at all times .
We will always understate and never exaggerate our offerings , despite our enthusiasm for all things clivia.
May nature  bless us all with many pleasant surprises come flowering time .
Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
    • Yarmouth Clivia
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2014, 10:23:29 »
Well said, Lionel. Thank you for sharing your insights, they are invaluable.

Best Regards

Nick

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 11:06:16 »
yes thanks Lionel, much appreciated
FNQ

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 12:22:19 »
onya Lionel

Offline Registered Member

• Platinum Member
  • cell : 0833814670
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 12:32:31 »

You are good people Lionel.

Thank you for helping us  beginners.

:welldone:
Bill Seeley . 31 Naudest. P.O.Box 857, Rayton ,1001.  -25Km East of Pretoria

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 14:59:49 »
I have just located last years seedlings and to my great surprise there are 12 Un pigmented seedlings out of
a batch of about 90 in total . Totally unexpected and welcome .
Both of these plants share a Apricot/Peach Mother plant .
Lets see if they flower Pink or Yellow with a green throat , but I doubt yellow .

Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2014, 10:31:39 »
Hello Chris ,
                  Thank you for your willingness to always share info .
Am I correct in saying that you would have discarded the siblings and Selfed Angelica and moved forward from there?
Would you say one would only get decent offspring from Angelica ?

Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2014, 19:43:11 »
Lionel, I argue from the point of selection to improve your breeding stock. Unless I have further details on the parents of these two plants, I say yes, I will only carry on with Angelica. With line breeding (crossing family) we always try to breed the good qualities in and the bad qualities out. Your plant 1 may have some very good hidden qualities, we don?t know. So can Angelica have some bad hidden qualities, we also don?t know. Visually, I like everything I see in Angelica whilst in plant 1, I see some good colour potential, but not the desired qualities (form) I look for in a miniata. I am sure there are many examples of proven
results where I will be proven wrong. Let us hope this time it will also be the case.

Chris

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2016, 10:37:49 »
Great thread! Blast from the past for most I'm sure.
If you not dreaming. You're just sleeping.

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2016, 16:11:45 »
Simply sharing the resulting picture of a seedling and stating the source with no negative comments is totally different from a post with a purpose to "Name and Shame".
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2016, 18:35:24 »
                                       We have said before , Hilton Clivias is not the breeder of these 2 plants .

They are part of our  " Coenraad Vermaark " collection .

Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2016, 18:51:52 »
Maria. I'm not sure who you are addressing.
I've learned here this evening. 
If you not dreaming. You're just sleeping.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias