Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Deep Freeze USA  (Read 6502 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
Deep Freeze USA
« on: December 05, 2013, 17:29:22 »

This morning in Salt Lake City the temperature is minus 11C (13F).  The high today will only reach minus 8C (17F).  Greenhouse temperature this morning, with heater running all night, was 2C (36F).  I ran out and started up the backup heater, and got it up to 5C (42F.)  It's a real cold snap.  Thanks goodness the sun will shine.  It's the coldest morning since I put up my greenhouse, in 2006.
     How are everyone else doing?

Mike

Salt Lake City, Utah  USA

CliviaMall

• Titanium Member
Re: Deep Freeze USA
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 17:39:12 »
Brrrrr, Mike,  that cold weather you're having is headed this way too but this morning is unusually mild 60F. I'm surprised out there in ski country you haven't been colder than 13F since 2006.... It's been down to as low as  -5F since I've started using the pool cover on my greenhouse and it has made it much easier to keep it warm enough in there.

John
Northeast Ohio, USA

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 18:01:16 »
Barefoot and shorts weather here :)

• Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 18:04:43 »

John,
     Mmmm, 60F sounds nice!  Utah has been in a mild weather pattern, and moderate drought for many years.  We don't get many below-zero temperatures here in the valley.  It's 10F to 20F below zero (minus 23C to 29C) this morning at skiing altitude, warming to 0F (minus 18C).  :surprise:  Yikes.  I was planning on going skiing today, but not in temps this cold.  Frostbite becomes a real possibility at those temperatures.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 18:26:33 »
Barefoot and shorts weather here :)

Softy!  ;)

John,
     As I look back at old posts, and weather logs, I see that it has been colder than this morning, on a couple of occasions, since the greenhouse went up. 
     Anyways, the sun is up, and it will be a beautiful, but cold day.  My kitty doesn't know what to make of this, but she doesn't even meow at the door to go outside.  She's no fool.

Maria,
     Go ahead, rub it in.  8)

Mike

• Titanium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 18:37:47 »
Wow, Mike that is really cold.  I was complaining the other day about 32F. ::)  Like John, we're unseasonably warm, but your "cold snap" is heading our way.  Temps will drop 26 degrees in the next 18 hours.
SE Michigan, USA

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 18:40:24 »
67F here! ;D
47F tomorrow. :-\
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 19:47:18 »
Mike,
We have stormy weather with a lot of rain here at the moment, but in the northern regions of Germany they have very heavy storm.

Perhaps you could hold ready some large and broad candles for your greenhouse, if the heater will be of order.

Kind regards,
Elke

• Titanium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 23:52:41 »
Here in South Australia the weather has been waffling between highs of 38C and lows of 22C with rain. Tuesday this week we had both in one day....in a matter of hours actually!

My plants seem to be coping so far and the rain reduces the time I spend watering, it even seems to have prompted one plant to start a flower spike!
But my poor birds are suffering, Ive lost a young blue backed gouldian despite wrapping the aviaries up before the change in the weather comes around.
Like Mike's cat my dogs took one look at the rain last night and turned around and went back to bed.
Diane
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Victor Harbor Fleurieu Peninsula South Australia

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • CliviaKaleidoscope
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 15:31:43 »
I live in the tunnel. The North Pole opens up and Canada gets cold, when Canada gets warm, we get cold. We are at 2 F right now and a balmy -12F windchill. I am hoping for a windless day today. Yesterday walking was a real *@!#&*  PAIN!!!

Julie in Iowa
web site: http://www.CliviaKaleidoscope.com
I sell Clivia seedlings to United States residences

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 16:16:36 »

Julie,
     Yow, 2F is mighty cold!  We're at 11F (minus 12C) and calm wind at dawn this morning.  Keep warm.

Mike

CliviaMall

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 21:55:59 »
Mike how about some more of those stunning pics you posted a while ago. Hoe it's not to cold for that.

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2013, 05:34:10 »
Good idea Eddie!!! I would love to see some snow

The weather in Perth, WA is delightful today. No idea of the temperature maybe about 30C. I missed the weather last night.
Kat
Perth, Western Australia.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2013, 23:29:09 »

Here you go!  Taken just now, from my back yard.

Enjoy!

• Titanium Member
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 00:00:06 »
Wow
Diane

Victor Harbor Fleurieu Peninsula South Australia

Traders