Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Naudes Peach  (Read 8946 times)

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Re: Naudes Peach
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 20:13:28 »
Lionel yes they are mine they are Naude x Grp1 yellow x Naude x grp1 yellows You get these colours as well as green throats i would be lovely if Nick has a photo of his Naudes Peach i Remember reading that the first time Naudes was on show it won
Maybe there are members that have naude x grp 2 Yellows to post
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 20:54:31 »
All very pretty Martin! :welldone:

Did they all bloom like this?  No oranges/pastel oranges?
How about the F1 parents (Naude X Grp 1 Yellow)?  What were the results?
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2013, 07:04:47 »
Hi Maria no there ere a range of colours the parents were Naudes f1 x Grp 1 yelow x same cross the parent gave a couple of nice pink plants and some good yellows
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Offline Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2013, 11:23:09 »
If I may ,
             The origins of Naude Peach need to be investigated .
Names associated with and who I will bring up in this post  are The Naude family , Nick Kruger ,  Sean Chubb , Chris de Vry and Liz and Glen  Boyd .
Surely there are others , please add your info.

This is what I know from Sean Chubb and Nick Kruger and others.
The Naude`s Olive , Sakkie and Stoffel lived in Kloof Kwa Zulu Natal .
In 1995 or 1996 they brought their plant to the KZN show that was held at the Botanical Gardens .
It has been described as a YELLOW with peach on the outside of the petals ie ,a versicolor as described by Pieter in this thread.
As Nick Kruger put it " We were desperate to have different colours so we named it a peach because as it aged
the Peach tone came through ."
Val Thurston has a Pic of the plant at that show but it is in analog form so she has undertaken to have it redone
into digital format and send it to me so I can load it onto the Forum.

This plant had berries on it and a number of people at the show were gifted with seed and Pollen .
The berries were RED and the F1`s , from this selfing , grown by Nick Kruger and Sean flowered ORANGE .
 Nick Kruger made arrangements to visit the Naude`s in order to obtain an offset .
He said the plant was in poor condition ,rotting ,so repotted it for them and booked the small offset that he found whilst repotting.
He received the offset a few years later .

This  offset , belonging to Nick Kruger flowered 3 years after .
It set 2 offsets which were passed on to Chris de Vry and Sean Chubb about 5 years ago .
Nick Kruger pollinated his offset with his " Bonny`s Peach 02 " and " Grace Kelly " ( a F1 of a crossing of his , John Winter Pastel x Bonny`s Peach 02 from his FORRYHILL PEACH range .
The offspring flowered orange and he has not done any line breeding with the orange flowering offspring .
Nick and I are almost 100 % sure that Bonny`s Peach 02 is compatible with Grp 1 Yellows hence the orange offspring from the RED berried YELLOW versicolor labelled PEACH .
Nick has since put NATAL YELLOW pollens onto his Naude peach and the seedlings could flower 2014 season .
They will be on view at his stand at the 2014 conference.

N. B. see that this cross is the opposite to the cross done by Sean Chubb to produce his beautiful Pastel Blush Series
ie NATAL YELLOW x Naudes Peach .
This cross by Sean Chubb was done many years before he received his offset from Nick Kruger as I bought about 20 flowering size
F1`s from him and 500 Pastel Blush seeds from him in about 2002.
I will confirm with Sean that it was from the Pollen gifted him by  Olive Naude  who originally owned the plant.
Olive has since passed on.
I sold some of the flowering size plants before they flowered and kept about 5 , they  flowered pastel.
I lost many of the 500 Pasel Blush seeds during germination but all that survived , maybe 200 , flowered orange . We sold them.

Many growers upcountry have acquired their Naude Peach crosses from Sean .
I think it correct to say that he has been instrumental in making these genes available to most who are breeding with Naude`s Peach .

About 5 years ago Liz Boyd informed me that she had acquired an offset from either Stoffel or Sakkie ,I cant remember which  .
Please Liz confirm this , does it set RED seeds when selfed ?
Liz should continue here as I saw the Most Exquisite plant in flower at the Forum show this year at beginning
September at her stand , it is one of the BEST clivia flowers I have laid eyes on .
I did not inquire about its breeding but Martin did and it is bred by Liz out of her Naude`s Peach .
Please Liz , if you have a Pic of it  email it to Martin or myself and we will put it on the Forum for all to see.
It will be worth visiting Liz and Glen Boyd next year during the 2014 conference just to see this plant.

Finally , where did the Naude`s get their plant from ? I believe from a Nursery some where .
I believe others might have also purchased similar plants from that Nursery .
Regards,
             Lionel.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2013, 15:32:29 »
Here are some pics of what I bought as Natal Yellow x Naude's Peach

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I rather like it! Maybe you genetic gurus can explain why it looks like this? Or is this a pastel blush?
Peter Miles
East London, South Africa
083 463 6229
petermalcommiles@gmail.com

• Titanium Member
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 15:51:04 »
Here now are pics of two different Group1 Yellow x Naude's Peach F1. I like these too! How do we explain these results?

I have not seen any Naude's Peach progeny which I don't like!

Peter Miles
East London, South Africa
083 463 6229
petermalcommiles@gmail.com

Online Registered Member

• Gold Member
    • CliviaKaleidoscope
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2013, 16:20:54 »
I just wanted to thank all the breeders who weighed in on this topic. I am so glad Martin suggested this topic become a regular on this forum. As a novice I appreciate any kind of discussions like this. I absorb this information like a sponge. I am looking forward to the weekly discussion on these plants.

Julie
web site: http://www.CliviaKaleidoscope.com
I sell Clivia seedlings to United States residences

• Titanium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2013, 01:46:17 »
This has been an great topic thanks so much for all of those who contributed to a very interesting thread.  All of the plants pictured are exquisite.
South West of Western Australia

« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2013, 12:49:47 »
The Naudes.
Stoffel and his wife Olive lived in Kloof   Olive has sadly passed away and Stoffel lives with his son.
In 1997 when they put the plant on the show I was not yet a member of the clivia club so I knew nothing about this plant.
The Naudes were friends of our family , In 2006 Stoffel gave me their plant to work with.
I knew by all accounts that it was a special plant to work with.
Now, I knew if you crossed Naudes Peach with Natal yellow you got lovely pastel blushes.
Then if you put Naudes pollen back to the Pastel blushes a certain percentage would be blushed yellows but there would still be Natal Yellow lurking in the background of the blushed yellows ready to resurface at any time.
When the plant flowered I carefully selfed it. Not many seeds set which is the norm when selfing.
Two seedlings were pigmented, the rest were unpigmented.
The pigmented seedling flowered a beautiful full head of blushed flowers these I have called Mrs Naude one and two. The unpigmented seedlings have flowered
 and look just like Naudes Peach These being Naudes F1
 I have done many Naudes crosses. That's another story

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2013, 18:07:04 »
Thank you all for your input,
great plant and interesting information too
Joerg
from Wuppertal, Bergisches Land, Western Germany visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2013, 04:30:01 »
Thanks for all the good input. Sounds like I need to seek out some seeds as I haven't got ant Naude's peach in my collection yet. :)

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2013, 07:14:57 »
Thanks all for your wonderful  input on this magnificent plant Peter Thats why i Love Naudes Liz, Lionel thanks so much for the background History on this plant
Pikkie promised to post about breeding Green throats this week cant wait to read that Maybe Next weeek we can have her majesty Mrs Vico history
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

• Platinum Member
    • Yarmouth Clivia
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2013, 12:18:38 »
I just wanted to thank all the breeders who weighed in on this topic. I am so glad Martin suggested this topic become a regular on this forum. As a novice I appreciate any kind of discussions like this. I absorb this information like a sponge. I am looking forward to the weekly discussion on these plants.

Julie
This sums up how I feel about it too.
I am blown away to see the photos of Naude's Peach crosses with both Gp 1 and Gp 2 yellows - what astonishing versatility.
As they used to say: "Every home should have one".
Many thanks to everyone for this truly great thread.

Best Regards
Nick

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2013, 12:49:07 »
Nick Kruger has just phoned and given the following info .
 Clivia Yearbook 3 Page 63 has an article by Sean Chubb on Chubb Peach and Naude Peach .

Regards,
             Lionel.

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2016, 11:51:39 »
Having said that Naude is my best breeding plant I heard through the grapevine that a big breeder has bred something marvellous from this plant so let us FLAUNT it the plant is apparently the best versicolour according to my source and with the threat off death and some very good seeds I will get some flaunt enough said lookout for a certain breeders seedlist soon
Regards
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy