Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Clumps of clivias  (Read 12496 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
Re: Clumps of clivias
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2013, 00:38:19 »
Cant resist putting up this pic of one of my giant pots of Yellow. As you can see there is more than one giant pot but it is the one in the foreground. All of the Yellows in the image were seed grown, sown in 2001
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

South West of Western Australia

CliviaMall

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2013, 00:52:27 »
Mary, that's some beautiful yellow Clivias you have there..   :good:

• Titanium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2013, 00:59:50 »
Gorgeous display Mary!

John
Northeast Ohio, USA

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Titanium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2013, 01:59:06 »
"Aurea", Mary?  I remember you posting that incredible plant/photo before.
This would be a good spot for it again.
Gail
SE Michigan, USA

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 03:02:44 »
My oh my ,what a beautiful sight Mary !

• Silver Member
  • Life's good you just have to live it right!
    • Karoo Clivias
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 08:12:24 »
This is my garden 2012 it was planted in 2011
There's a few nice oranges in there :)
Hope you all like it 2

Giovanni
Karoo Clivias

• Titanium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 09:06:40 »
"Aurea", Mary?  I remember you posting that incredible plant/photo before.
This would be a good spot for it again.
Gail

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments.  The Yellow pictured and its sibling are both beautiful and both have nice full round umbels of 11cm flowers .

Gail I didnt like to post the pic of my "Aurea" again but seeing as you requested it :)
This photo was taken in 2008 I think.  It had to be moved outdoors so has never looked quite this spectacular since, came close last year after sulking for a season post division.  It sent up many new offsets until it had almost filled the pot again before it blessed me with 10 umbels last year.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 09:10:43 »
 :woohoo: Give your garden a few years Giovanni and it will be a sight to behold. They are lovely healthy looking plants.  I look forward to seeing progress pictures.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 10:24:08 »
I like this topic very much!

Mary, your clivias are gorgeous!

Giovanni, I can see that your garden will be in some years a fest to the eyes!

Kind regards,
Elke

• Silver Member
    • Karoo Clivias
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2013, 13:39:45 »
Thanks everyone
Where are you from Mary your clivias looks beautiful

I'm planning on planting some yellows inbetween over a few years
Giovanni
Karoo Clivias

• Titanium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 17:13:22 »
Thanks Elke :)
Giovanni if you look at the signature line below my posts it says where I am from.  The SW of Western Australia, best part of the world. :) Be careful you dont overcrowd your garden Giovanni :)

CliviaMall

• Silver Member
    • Karoo Clivias
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 19:45:42 »
Yea I think I gonna leaf it orange
Imagine in 10 years from now!
Giovanni
Karoo Clivias

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 21:10:31 »
Thanks to Mark for starting this topic and thank you all for your nice compliments.

I hope you can provide some details for us: what media are you using? Have many offsets been removed? Where does the plant grow?

@Nick
My common growing medium is a mix of pine bark (7-14mm), fine gravel, a good commercial potting compost, some loam, some self made compost, gravel of burnt clay and some lava gravel. I mix it in a way that water can quickly rinse through (our town is known for heavy rain in every season, average 1,200 mm/year). I fertilize the pots 2-3 times a season. Many offsets have leaved during the years. I have also an other pot with 4-5 big offsets of 'Aenne'. Both pots are still in my greenhouse for over wintering (November - May) and always outside in the garden during the frost free season.

I love the fact that Joerg has had his in the family for so long. Is this the plant that started your addiction Joerg?

@Kat
My 'Aenne' with deep white/yellow throat is from our early tenant, which she brought into our house in 1958 and which moved to me in the early 60s after the death of this women, our beloved 'granny' Aenne. This broad leave Belgian represents a hybrid line which was known by early European breeders as Amaryllis flowering type, with broad open flowers with deep yellow or white throat and vivid colours.
We have an other clivia 'Mieze' in family since fourth generations. It goes back to my mother's side great-grandmother. It is a more small leaved old type of miniata, which is somewhat similar to the so called German Red. It has a small yellow/white throat when it opens, but throat colour changes to red then and the whole flower fades to shades of red and purple.

My clivia addiction started late in 2009 when I became a member of this forum. We had nearly no possibilities to buy special clivias here in Germany. In 1998 I bought some South African hybrids of the late Dr. Bing Wiese, plus a yellow so called citrina, and C. caulescens in England, and started with own breeding. But in 2002 after receiving the brand new Koopowitz book my interest was  fallen off rapidly. When I red the book and saw all the marvellous hybrids I thought I never would have the chance to reach such high potential clivias with own breeding. This great book turned me really off. Then years after I found the forum by chance and the whole subject started to interest me again. Since then I am hooked with clivias and have imported special seeds from all world corners. Let's see what further happens. It brings a lot of fun.

@Mary
Your 'aurea' is to die for. What a picture  :welldone:   I've seedlings of 'aurea' growing here, so one day in my seventies   ;D

Stunning, Joerg.  It must be in one big (and heavy) pot.

@Gail
Can move all the containers only by sliding. It's the same ground level in and outside the greenhouse. So I pull them to their places. The biggest containers (Oleander, Olive, Calamondin orange) to handle are 70cm (27 inches) diameter. This is limit for me.
Your SJT is another one to dream for. I got seeds from USA,  Australia and South Africa, but the seedlings are growing slow.

Joerg
from Wuppertal, Bergisches Land, Western Germany visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Silver Member
    • Karoo Clivias
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 21:26:15 »
How do you do it to grow your yellows like that 
My yellows don't have offsets at all.
I have a yellow for 5 years now and still in the same pot but only have one very small offset.
Is there a trick to it?
Giovanni
Karoo Clivias

• Titanium Member
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2013, 00:37:01 »
How do you do it to grow your yellows like that 
My yellows don't have offsets at all.
I have a yellow for 5 years now and still in the same pot but only have one very small offset.
Is there a trick to it?

Hi Giovanni, there is no trick they are robust large growing plants.  Sadly it is getting to the point where I am no longer able to look after them well as they are too large for me to be able to handle without assistance when it comes time for division or indeed even to move the pots when it is necessary.  I also have plants that have never offset, it just happens that way sometimes. My large Yellows are 12 yrs old and Aurea was grown on from an offset gifted to me in about 1999 so time is the thing Giovanni it will happen :)

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart