Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Is it time to say "Goodbye"?  (Read 19586 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Platinum Member
Re: Is it time to say "Goodbye"?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 17:03:34 »
Hi Elke It has been very interesting to get other opining?s.  To be honest I never look at the leaves if there is a flower on the plant. When there is no flower on the plant I look at the leaves and the plant has just for a month got a flower and the rest of the year got no flowers and then it is just leaves.  But to be worth keeping the plant should have good umbel when flowering for me and you only will get that when the plant is older like, after the third flowering which will make the plant about 7 to 8 years old. 
Regards
Frits

CliviaMall

• Titanium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2013, 10:07:40 »
Hi Elke It has been very interesting to get other opining?s.  To be honest I never look at the leaves if there is a flower on the plant.
Regards
Frits

Frits,
Perhaps I am always looking at the leaves of a clivia, as my clivias are for several months of the year houseplants. Then I see them every day in my rooms and this is for me the big difference! I do not like houseplants with poor leaves. And I always regard the whole plant.

Kind rgards,
Elke

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 10:09:55 »
A clivia bedside story:

"............. so the nice lady took little 5\10 to the post office, and said "I grow flowers, and I want many people to enjoy this plant while they wait in the queue, so may I just leave it here on the counter?"
And that is how brave little 5\10 got to make so many people happy, unexpectedly he beamed like a little ray of sunshine in that dreary, busy place. And that is how the next chapter of his adventures started when later he was taken home by Mr B, who was sad and lonely and needed someone to care for."

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 13:07:38 »
You`re a good and beautiful man Michael !!!

• Titanium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2013, 22:43:38 »
Michael,
That is a lovely story and a good idea!

Dear Forum Members,
This clivia had to part with me, as I have a better red-orange clivia. I like the form of the leaves, the plant is very robust with good roots and it makes a lot of offset, but the bud count was too less for me.

Beginners are very uncritical and like every blooming clivia, regardless how much flowers they have. And if this plant is not blooming it nevertheless is looking nicely as a green plant.

I gave it to a friend last year and she is very happy with the plant. She told me that it just has bloomed at her windowsill in her dining room.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Kind regards,
Elke

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 00:34:42 »
Lovely Elke.

I am sure every time your friend looks at her clivia she thinks of you.

Spreading the clivia love!!!
Kat
Perth, Western Australia.

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 01:24:27 »
So what is the final decision on your yellow Elke :) Personally I find the flower shape and the leaves delightful and as Maria says the vigour in recovering and forgiveness for the 'frosting' should count for a lot.  I too like a full umbel but perhaps given another year you will get that, perhaps though sometimes fewer flowers plus pleasing shape and colour have thier own charm. I too put great store in shape and form of leaves as they are what one has to look at for a large part of the year, plus I love leaves :)
South West of Western Australia

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 03:05:21 »
Well Elke ,that red is a KEEPER , that must be a very good friend you have .

• Titanium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2013, 10:33:47 »
Mary,
The yellow clivia will get a chance of another year.

Well Elke ,that red is a KEEPER , that must be a very good friend you have .

Lionel,
Yes, she is a very good friend and I wanted her to infect with the clivia feaver. So she got this robust and nicely looking clivia from me.

I think that beginners must have robust plants, which grow well, and no clivias with sensitive roots or other hesitant growing factors. Otherwise beginners lose their interest in clivias quickly.

Kind regards,
Elke

• Titanium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2013, 16:29:39 »
These two plants already have gone.

Number 1 was my first seedling, which came from South Africa as a seedling not as a seed. 

Number two I have bought as a little plant, but then the leaves were so hanging and the bud count too low, although it had two umbels.

Kind regards,
Elke

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2013, 20:16:29 »
Elke 

:good: :clap: :good: :clap: for the yellow.

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

• Titanium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2013, 16:29:28 »
Eddie, yes the plant is nicely growing.

Dear All,
The second of my South African seedlings, I got in May 2008, is blooming now with six blossoms in the umbel. Can you imagine, what I think about it?

Kind regards,
Elke

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2013, 17:25:27 »
What are the name of the crosses of the above seedlings Elke?

I think you will give the above(last) seedling a chance and grow for another year.
Plant looks ok and flowers look pretty???
It looks pastel in my pc monitor.
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2013, 20:34:51 »
Maria,
I only know that this seedling is from a crossing of excellent plants. Whatever this means!

Yes, the color is pastel orange. I like the leaves and the shape of the clivia very much and the plant is quite robust.

But the bud count of only six is too low in my opinion, even for a first bloomer. I am very unsure, if the bud count could increase enough to form a nice round umbel in the future.

What are the experiences of other forum members?

Kind regards,
Elke

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2013, 20:42:27 »
Elke when i saw rhe picture i knew you were not going to like the flower, but the plant is very good looking and healthy. A lot of the breeders never judge a first flower. They judge the plant on the second or third.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart