Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: Is it time to say "Goodbye"?  (Read 20911 times)

Offline Elke

• Titanium Member
Is it time to say "Goodbye"?
« on: March 05, 2013, 16:45:49 »
Is it time to say ?Goodbye? to this clivia?

Contrary to other forum members I only have little space for all my clivias. I have bought some adult clivias, some offsets and a lot of special seeds during the last four years.

Now the seedlings are growing larger and larger and the space is insufficient for all clivias. So I have to decide, which plants I will keep and which plants I have to part with. And here is the first clivia, I have to decide on.

2010: First flower with 4 blossoms:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

2011: It did not flower, as the plant got frost in October 2010. All leaves have been destroyed.

2012: 4 blossoms and a new offset:

2013, i. e. now: It has 8 blossoms

And now I have difficulties to decide. I like clivias with full umbels above the leaves. (Lionel, you are not the only one!) The flower count is too low and the flower form is not special. But I like the shape of the plant! The leaves are very elegant. What shall I do? To part or not to part, that is the question.

Kind regards,
Elke

CliviaMall

Online Frits Korting

• Platinum Member
Re: Is it time to say "Goodbye"?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 17:39:14 »
Hi Elke
It is hard to decide and I can see why but if you do not have food what would you do?
Go hungry or make a plan.  For me they are all good but not outstanding the only one that stands out for me is the second photo with the peach colour it has a good flower shape not perfect.
But I am sure you get more response.
Regard Frits

Offline Lionel Bester

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 19:24:19 »
Let it go Elke , you are doing the right thing .
Regards,
             Lionel

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Offline Leisl

• Titanium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 19:27:24 »
Hi Elke

If it doesn't tick all your boxes and is taking up space that another plant needs I would say it's time to let it go.  It would make a lovely present for a friend?  That way you can keep an eye on it :-)
Leisl Brand
Somerset West, South Africa
072 222 6624
leislbrand@gmail.com

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 20:28:57 »
Elke if it flowers the same as in 2012 i would definately keep it for a while longer. If you don't have space follow Leisl's advice and get someone else addicted.

I personally would keep it for another year.

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Zesfontein, Benoni, Gauteng, South Africa

Offline Anton Potgieter.

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 20:48:32 »
I use a 5 star rating any thing below 4 stars go.

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 20:57:22 »
Anton just for interrest sake - How many stars would you give Elke's plant and flower ?

Kind regards
Eddie
A lot of people's biggest regret when they pass away one day, is that they when they had the time, was too reluctant to tell the people that was important to them, how much they apreciated them

Offline Jon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 21:25:37 »
A solid 2.5 from me. If you were in SA, you would 'free' this one to a good garden position. In your case, I would give it away. You have said that umbel size is important to you and the best this plant has managed is 8 flowers in three years of flowering. It is simply never going to get to 15 or so, where you will definitely keep it. Your most dissapointing seedling will probably have more on its first flowering!

If you are asking the question, then you have probably already made up your mind and are looking for a confirmation.

I enjoy the freedom of giving away an average plant and freeing up space. Declutter, its good for you!

Regards
Jon

Offline Michael Loh

• Titanium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 22:33:21 »
it gets a 5 out of 10 from me so you can be at ease in letting it go. I am sure you have better quality seedlings to take its place in no time :)

Offline Peter Miles

• Titanium Member
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 11:19:42 »
It is time to say goodbye, Elke. You can replace it with a much better plant. Leisl's advice is good.
Peter Miles
East London, South Africa
083 463 6229
petermalcommiles@gmail.com

Offline Elke

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 17:02:49 »
Thank you all for your comments, I have read them with great interest. Your answers and the look at the show plants and the following thoughts have helped me a lot for my decision.

I agree with you all that the flower shape is not special and the count is much too low. So I will give this clivia 2 of 5 points for the large blossoms.

But is it correct to evaluate a plant, which blooms for about three weeks a year, only after the flowers? The rest of the year, i. e. about 49 weeks, the plant shows the leaves. And this clivia has the most elegant leaves of all my clivias. So I will give the shape of the plant 5 of 5 points.

Please have a look at the following link. Here you can see a photo from Tremaine of the show winners. The right plant in the first row has a wonderful umbel, but in my opinion terrible leaves. And if this plant can win with this awful leaves a price in a clivia show, than my plant with wonderful leaves and an awful umbel may stay with me. And so I will keep this clivia and regard it as an evergreen plant, which I like very much. And in addition it blooms for a short time with unexciting blossoms.

http://www.cliviaforum.co.za/forum/index.php?topic=21530.0

But a lot of clivias will come, which I fear have to go. In about 14 days one of my seedlings from South Africa starts to bloom. Then I hope you will be prepared to judge it. It helps a lot.

Kind regards,
Elke

Offline Maria

• Titanium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2013, 20:13:24 »
Elke...Let us not forget vigor which I strongly value as a Northern gardener that do not have the ideal growing conditions of clivias.  For this clivia to recover from a frost damaged one (all leaves damaged) in 2011 to a beautiful plant, giving out an offset and blooming twice in 2 years time, I will give this clivia an A+++ for strength and vigor.  Other clivias would have sulked and take more than 2 years to do this.  A clivia with beautiful flowers is useless for me if it will not perform in my garden. These are the ones that I say "goodbye" to. :)

Seedlings that are about to still bloom are still a big "?" on their flowers and performance.  They could be pretty ones or oranges.  There is no guarantee that they will be prettier than this yellow clivia that you are thinking of culling.  I likewise have several seedlings that will be blooming soon and will share their pics likewise.
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

Offline Eddie Pringle

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Diamond Member
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2013, 20:14:53 »
Elke from the point that the leaves get 5 out of 5 i will keep it for at least another year. I have some clivia's that i have never seen a bloom but just love the leaves and that makes it worth keeping.

Kind regards
Eddie

Offline Peter Miles

• Titanium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2013, 20:46:43 »
Ultimately, it is a personal decision which one has to make and you have made it, Elke. Good for you!
Peter Miles
East London, South Africa
083 463 6229
petermalcommiles@gmail.com

Offline Elke

• Titanium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 13:58:48 »
Maria,
You are absolutely right: The vigor of a plant is very important, too. If one has not the best condition, it is very difficult to care for less robust clivias.

But I have seen thatI have made a mistake, as the clivia got frost in October 2009 and in February 2010 it looked, as you can see it on this photo.

Eddie,
I hold thumbs that you will see the blossomless clivias see blooming one day.

Peter,
Yes, it is in the end the own decision. But it helps a lot to clarify your own reflection reading other opinions and comments.

Kind regards,
Elke

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven