Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: gnat gnats  (Read 7631 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Titanium Member
Re: gnat gnats
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 16:03:51 »
Area of use: in propagation houses, poly-tunnels, winter garden and flower windows
Best time for treatment:    All the year (Soil temperature from 8 to 28°C)

http://www.e-nema.de/en/information.php#links

If you click on 'nemaplus' you should be able to read more about the product that I use.
Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany

CliviaMall

• Titanium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 16:27:36 »
I use yellow sticky cards around my clivias when I notice them around. They do work really well.

I wonder if you could make something similar with yellow plastic and honey maybe??? Has anyone tried to do this? I find the cards quite expensive for what they are.

Kat, I once read that someone took yellow plastic or yellow paper with Vaseline to catch gnats. The problem with honey could be that it would rot after some time.

Kind regards,
Elke

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 16:38:16 »
Yep.....that looks like the same product Heidi a little costly though ( $44.00 ) see link below.

http://www.ecogrow.com.au/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=9

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 21:36:47 »
A few years back someone on this forum used bright yellow bits of plasic in red bowls of water (or something like that). The idea is that the gnats get attracted to colour and drown. I have no idea if it works, but love the concept.

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2013, 00:44:09 »
Elke - Vaseline of course!!!!!

I will definitely be giving that a go
 :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Kat
Perth, Western Australia.

• Titanium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2013, 02:50:13 »
Yep.....that looks like the same product Heidi a little costly though ( $44.00 ) see link below.

http://www.ecogrow.com.au/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=9

This is quite expensive...I would have to pay 18 Euro for the treatment of 50 m².
Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany

• Titanium Member
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2013, 16:55:20 »
Elke - Vaseline of course!!!!!

I will definitely be giving that a go
 :thanks: :thanks: :thanks:

Kat,
Please report, if it works for you.

And it does not matter, if you bump against the Vaseline sticks with you hand. Then you need no further skin emollient for your hands.  ;D

Kind regards,
Elke

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2013, 22:25:27 »
Yes please try the Vaseline thing Kat and update us.
A lot of us Northern gardeners are home growers.
So I think the simpler, cheaper and more practical (availability of materials) it is the better. ;)
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2013, 00:41:45 »
Maria and Elke - I will definitely keep everyone updated as to how the vaseline traps work.

I think if they work a lot of home growers would use them because they would be so cheap and simple.  :good:
Kat

• Platinum Member
    • Clivia USA
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 03:53:09 »
I have a terrible habit of getting these stuck in my hair while working on the plants. One of the top reasons I was so hot to try Michael's idea of simply using Sundews :) So far yellow stickies<sundews but enstar+cyflutherin > yellow stickies. Knocked out all the gnats in 3 sprays over 3 days.

Course now I gotta find something to feed sundews! Or I can just wait until someone sends us a plant with whiteflies again...

On another note if I released predatory beetles into the house to fight fungus gnats I am pretty sure they would be my only company for a while  :D
If you got clivia problems here are the solutions we have used that will work:

http://cliviausa.com/pages/The-Learning-Center.html

Currently hating the fact that Clivias bloom 1-2 months later than most of the rest of the US where he is....

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 04:04:31 »
Hi Kat, if you have a laminator use it to laminate your yellow paper and it will last longer.

Jon, good to know you are still enjoying the sundew plants. You can feed it crushed fish food or pet food if there are no insects around.

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 11:24:44 »
Michael - I don't have a laminator but I'm sure I can borrow one from somewhere. That is a really good idea.

Probably go shopping tomorrow to tray and find the paper, I'm guessing it works best when it is a particular shade of yellow? I have a sticky trap which I will take with me.
Kat

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 12:21:14 »
I'm sure it doesnt need to be paper at all? There must be a bright yellow plastic something or other to recycle? Maybe some discarded packaging material of some sort, a label from a 2l cooldrink bottle, old lego blocks or broken kiddies toys, old yellow beer can etc will all work. As far as the stickyness goes, vaseline will work, or there are glue trap recepies peppered all over the net, just avoid any that include a poison.

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 12:50:34 »
No it doesn't have to be paper, just anything bright yellow. Paper is easier to manage though and can be cut to any size or shape. I made a laminated one last year and just coated it with cooking oil and it worked too.

• Platinum Member
    • Clivia USA
If you got clivia problems here are the solutions we have used that will work:

http://cliviausa.com/pages/The-Learning-Center.html

Currently hating the fact that Clivias bloom 1-2 months later than most of the rest of the US where he is....

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart
Clivia Mart

Hilton Clivias