Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

Author Topic: gnat gnats  (Read 7644 times)

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
gnat gnats
« on: January 09, 2013, 13:01:57 »
I had a few problems over the summer months with gnats early last year and just recently, I tried live Nematodes  they worked for a while but back they came

This summer I went down to the local hydro shop and explained the problem with the little buggers he said come back in  a couple of days and he will have something for me

He gave me this plain black plastic bottle no labels at all except 2mls per litre, he said  try this and your problem will be gone in three days, of course I said yeah right

Yep?..sure enough the little buggers were all  gone in three days I couldn?t believe it.

So I thought I would pass this on to the forum members, if anyone would like the name of the hydro shop just PM me, I would be glad to help out they have an online shop

But this particular stuff is not listed on their web site.

Cheers guys

CliviaMall

Offline Registered Member

• Gold Member
Re: gnat gnats
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2013, 13:48:52 »
Hi Mick

I have had trouble about 18 months ago with gnats but I think I was overwatering my seedlings and the mix was not draining properly. Therefore the dreaded root rot happened  :(

Wow I have learnt a lot on this forum!!!

I wonder what it is he gave you? Do you suppose it is a really nasty chemical and that is why he would not tell you?

I would be interested to know in case I have any more issues. (Only if it is not going to cause me to grow another head)
Kat
Perth, Western Australia.

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2013, 14:07:13 »
"I would be interested to know in case I have any more issues. (Only if it is not going to cause me to grow another head)"

geeez now your stealing my jokes....LOL

That was bloody funny Kat, but you know what they say....two heads are better than one.LOL

Premium Advert
Co Creative Clivias

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2013, 14:13:49 »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well it has been a miserable day on the forum - got to lighten the mood.
Kat

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2013, 14:30:26 »
Love your little King Charles pic there Kat, we had two of the them when the kids were young, there both gone now, our Nelson was fifteen when he passed
Beautiful dogs so placid and will never forget them, now we have a beautiful Bernese Mountain Dog with the same temperament as the cavvies.

Cheers

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 02:33:09 »
Thanks Mick.

Yes he is gorgeous only 2 years old. Gone from a rottweiler to him  :surprise:

I could not get another just yet after I lost him at only 7 to cancer. They suffer a lot from it. The cav has been much easier to train!!!!!

Where I used to walk my rottie there were 2 Bernese Mountain dogs I used to stop and talk to all the time. Just beautiful. One question - how do you cope with the fur?!?!?! I'm naughty (well lazy really) and clip my cavalier because I cannot stand the fluff blowing around everywhere!

Kat

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 03:25:23 »
FUR FUR FUR dont mention that you'll start my wife up again. LOL

yeah they do shed a fair bit of hair twice a year but if you use a rake brush once a day its not to bad.
Funny you should mention the rottie i had a trainer for my Berner who was a breeder of the Rotweilers and she was telling me that the rottie and the berner were related, if you take out the white markings of my dog it looks the same as the rottie.

cheers

mick

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:01:38 »
These guys soooooooo LOVE yellow!!!
So give it to them.
At least they die happy??? ;D

This is one of my gnat controls in my indoor seedling growing area last summer.
I do spray with pyrethrum but this would not totally eradicate them.
No gnats or major gnat activity on winter time.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
We are blessed for only one reason...to share.

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 06:37:29 »
I use yellow sticky cards around my clivias when I notice them around. They do work really well.

I wonder if you could make something similar with yellow plastic and honey maybe??? Has anyone tried to do this? I find the cards quite expensive for what they are.
Kat

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 07:13:32 »
Yeah ive used the yellow cards they do work well for the flying the ones but dosnt kill the  larvae and thats why ive decided to use a drench.

Kat.....try this guy........i have bought from him before very cheap and work well.

cheers

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10pcs-Double-sided-Sticky-Flying-Insects-Thrips-Gnats-Aphid-Fruitfly-Trap-Yellow-/330714172649?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Garden_Plants_Weed_Pest_Control_CV&hash=item4d0019cce9

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 09:55:12 »
Thanks Mick. They are much cheaper thanks  :good:
Kat

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Online Registered Member

• Titanium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 13:01:18 »
Since several years I use insect-pathogenic nematodes, Steinernema feltiae, against larvae of fungus gnats (from e-nema a company for biotechnology and biological control) with great success. The product works very well and I repeat it whenever I see some fungus gnats again. I can only recommend this method.
Baden-Wuerttemberg, Germany

Online Registered Member

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 13:53:28 »
Hi Heidi,

Is that live nematodes you are talking about?
I bought 15 million live nematodes early last year and they worked great but took about 3 weeks to work and also thought it was rather expensive to buy, so this time i used a drench.

cheers

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 14:24:14 »
The glue traps work well  for gnats but can get fiddly. I use a cheaper A4 sized one that I cut up and do a bit a bit gummed up and irritated putting out 50 or 60 of them. I also have to free gecko's from time to time. (Here a drop of olive oil worked between the gecko's skin and the glue works well).

So I took that post about the carnivourous plants quite seriously and am looking at these as a realistic alternative that dont ever need to be changed for clean ones. So far my first few testers are doing very well indeed. They are also more fun (which is the point, really, of a hobby).

Regards
Jon

Regards
Jon

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • Hilton Clivias
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 14:39:45 »
I planted our seed in pure Horse dropping worm casings this year ,thousands of seeds ,and have had not a single Fungus Gnat
this year .
I believe it important to look into what is attracting the gnats , sort that out and then the gnats will have no reason to visit.
The presence of Fungus Gnats is an indication of unhealthy growing medium IMHO.
Regards,
             Lionel.

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven

Clivia Mart