Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

Author Topic: Southern Alberta, Canada Winter Weather  (Read 3363 times)

Offline Registered Member

• Silver Member
Southern Alberta, Canada Winter Weather
« on: December 20, 2012, 02:10:03 »
Hi all!

I thought I'd share the winter ups and downs that occur where I live (I'm sure many places in the USA, such as Montana, and other countries with similar geography get near the same thing). We are about 100 kms west of the Rocky Mountains in Southern Alberta, Canada. Due to this location we receive strong, warm, very dry westerlies that we call Chinooks (Chinook is an aboriginal word meaning "snow eater"). These give us nice spring temperatures in the middle of winter, usually raising the temperature a full 20-30 degrees Celsius within a few hours (sometimes they create the nice temperatures in the middle of the night when everyone is asleep, and people wake up to subzero temperatures.... but it's good for the heating bill).

Sadly, we are not having one of these winds right now, as temperatures are hovering around the normals of -2 to -10. A northern cold front is coming in and we are about to get darn cold. Not much warmer than -15 for the next week (http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html) which is a bit cold for just the beginning of winter. Hopefully this is not indicative of what we will receive in Jan. and Feb. as it is not unusual to get to -30 in those months. However, I feel bad complaining about -20 for a week when our northernmost cities have been receiving -30 for the past month.

I thought it would be interesting for everyone to see just how fast temperatures change where we are, more than how cold it is. I'm also dreading it more than ever because last year we barely received any days below -12 ---- it almost felt like we moved 500km south! In fact, I think last winter I was able to keep my clivia outside for about 2 weeks straight in the middle of January. This was due to a lot of west winds combined with the fact that it was just a very warm winter last year. With these current temperatures, I don't think that will
be happening this year.

Wish me luck starting the extra heaters and hope none fail! Pray for those in colder conditions and those in dangerous tropical and subtropical conditions. I wish the best of luck this winter (summer for southern hemisphere) to all. Hopefully the temperatures here are indicative of more stable weather coming next year.

Canada

CliviaMall

Online Registered Member

• Marketing & Promotions
  • Titanium Member
Re: Southern Alberta, Canada Winter Weather
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 09:18:59 »
Jeff wow thats cold and i thought our winters are bad wishing you luck and admiring your tenacity to grow in clivia in that weather
Martin
Martin
cell 0839375216
home 0126561904
Centurion

Online Registered Member

• Sponsor
  • Diamond Member
    • www.utopiaclivias.co.za
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 19:51:31 »
Stay warm  :)

Carrie
Carrie Kruger             Don`t dream your life, live your dreams!
Utopia Nursery
Sedgefield
South Africa
ph.27 443432183
cel: 27 833431288 
 www.utopiaclivias.co.za       Clivias, orchids, daylilies and Incas

Premium Advert - Forum Sponsor

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2012, 07:42:40 »
Wow I cannot imagine it being that cold.

We have 39C forecast for Christmas day at the moment!!
Kat
Perth, Western Australia.

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 18:26:24 »
Kat, if you send 9 degrees of those 39 north to warm us up you will still have amazing temperatures and we will both obtain bearable temperatures once again.
Canada

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 04:27:09 »
Jeff,

Do you know how I can do that?
 :good:
Kat
Perth, Western Australia.

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 04:42:46 »
Ask the wolf to huff and puff until he blows the brick house down?
Canada

• Titanium Member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 05:20:46 »
Brrrrr.... cold, but it sure is beautiful country there in southern Alberta. I've only been there once, Calgary and Banff,  loved it.

John
Northeast Ohio, USA

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 05:47:37 »
John, I agree it is beautiful here - even under a thick blanket of snow in the winter. I have some pictures from our trip to the mountains this summer that I have been wanting to post for a while now. They are absolutely beautiful.

I will have to post them after the rat race of the holiday season -- which for me is finishing my Master's thesis. Hopefully I remember to post them later!
Canada

• Titanium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 06:23:27 »
Jeff, yes it was winter when I was there skiing... and yes by all means post some photos later on, I'd love to see them!

John
Northeast Ohio, USA

• Titanium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2012, 16:43:48 »
Jeff, how wonderful, you will have white Christmas!

Some days ago we had some snow, but then it started raining for several days and now it is spring here.  :-X I want snow!!!

Kindest regards,
elke

CliviaMall

Traders
@
CliviaMall
Clivia Addictions
Clivia Addictions

Clivia Guy
Clivia Guy
Clivia Haven
Clivia Haven